Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
How does this valve even operate?

I am new to this game. After repairing my water supply plumbing, I'm now into the tank and outlet plumbing. I can't seem to make these valves work. I don't know whether they should be able to pull out, whether I need to turn them first, or whether they should easily slide in and out.

Below are some pictures for help about what I'm talking about. The first is just to give reference. The second picture is the gray water tank valve (the orange goo is that blown-in insulation from the previous owner). The third picture is the black water valve.

Any help would be nice. The owner's manual just says, "Open the valve." Yeah, thanks, Airstream, that was helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4120001_1.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	58066   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4120002.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	58067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4120003.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	58068  

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Should pull straight out. If it has not been used recently may be pretty much stuck closed. I got mine loosened up by spraying the shaft as far as I could reach with CRC 2-22 (spray lube) and letting it sit over night.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Straight out is correct. If they haven’t been used lately they may be stiff is also correct. Thetford makes a product named Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant, appropriately enough, that works very well. Although the instructions call for ¼ bottle every time you dump the tank, a few ounces every now and then work very well. Makes the valves slide silky smooth.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For now, you may want to use some liquid dish or clothes soap, mix some in a bucket, pour down the drains (black and grey) and let it sit overnight. Try pulling the valves again in the morning. You may have to (lightly) tap the valves with a small hammer to get things moving again. The operative word being lightly, as they are mostly plastic.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Yep, Dawn dish soap is the advice I got. Cook using olive oil and when you was up it will lube the rubber seals too. Good Luck.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
worked!

I did just as the two of you suggested and voila. The deluge of soapy water came streaming out of, first, the grey tank, then the blck tank. That worked. Thanks.

New problem. The plumbing for the grey tank must be leaking because once I begin to fill the grey tank, I start getting major drippage from the belly pan about 2 feet forward of the main waste outlet. I'm a little concerned. Once the valve is opened and the flow begins, that leak ceases, though. So I guess I'll have to camp at full hook-up spots until I can get that replumbed down there.

Thanks for the help. Once one thing is fixed, the next thing down the line needs to be fixed. I really had no idea it would be this all-consuming. Oh well. It's growing on me.

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote