Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
How do you plumb the exterior hookups?

I have a 64 overlander international. The PO did what seems like a pretty cool mod. He extended the valtera in the back, put an elbow on it, then ran it inside the bumper, ending with the waste hookup right at the end of the streetside bumber end. Very convenient to hookup without bending over.

However.

I don't have gray tanks, and when I get into my toilet repair, who knows, I may have to replace my black tank.

So, when running the exit for the waste, are there 2 seperate valves for both grey and black? Does anyone have any schematics on how they are run and how they exit the back? I can do the plumbing, I just would like to know the best setup for maintenance and compliability with normal RV hookups when camping. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The customary method is to have two valves, and have their outlets join together in a T which then leads to the outlet.

Sometimes when a grey tank is added later this arrangement isn't practical, though, so people have separate outlets for each tank. It's more of a nuisance -- you have to move the hose from the black tank to the grey tank and can't use the grey tank to rinse out the hose before doing so. Also, sites with full hookups only have one connection, so you have to use two extra hoses and a T. That's not uncommon with really large 5ers, so there are kits available for the purpose, but it's one more thing to carry.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The customary method is to have two valves, and have their outlets join together in a T which then leads to the outlet.

Sometimes when a grey tank is added later this arrangement isn't practical, though, so people have separate outlets for each tank. It's more of a nuisance -- you have to move the hose from the black tank to the grey tank and can't use the grey tank to rinse out the hose before doing so. Also, sites with full hookups only have one connection, so you have to use two extra hoses and a T. That's not uncommon with really large 5ers, so there are kits available for the purpose, but it's one more thing to carry.
That's really helpful. Has anyone posted any drawings? Colin Hyde had a couple pics, but they were pretty localized.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Only 3 years later..... I ended up adding 2 gray tanks I built out of black ABS. I also built a black tank, and then tied all the systems together into one mixer at the very back, just like the original setup, but with gray tanks. I also added tank washers into all the tanks, and those run to a single hose hookup so I can wash all the tanks at once. It's been a really long road...

Tags
waste line, gray water tank