Old 05-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Well, I'm definately going to have to check that out next weekend. now I'm curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Re: 2.75 gallons. I think that's the amount per flush for most residential toilets nowadays, isn't it?
actually, its 1.6gallons/flush. so my numbers are wrong. its actually less than 2 flushes per day. But...this is from a Canadian. I think that the Canadian gallon is different from a US gallon...but I didn't think it was THAT much different. LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
My owner's manual (not at hand, naturally) for my trailer goes into detail about how to use the sprayer to conserve water and black tank space, and gives an approximate amount of times one can use the loo before needing to empty the tank. It works out to about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon - about 40 flushes into a 27 gallon tank (the size of the black tank on my trailer) when using the sprayer; instead of filling the bowl, using the bowl, then flushing it.
27 Gallons?!!!? Mine is only 13!! What's up with that??

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:05 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
27 Gallons?!!!? Mine is only 13!! What's up with that??
Bad memory, maybe it's my water tank that's 27 gallons, and I'm completely confusing things for everybody. Like I said, my manual is not at hand, and I was guessing. I'm really sorry about that.

I checked the EPA site, and 1.6 gal it is. I think I need a nap.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
The black tank on my 72 Overlander "International" is 21 gallons. The manual says the 72 Overlander Land Yacht is 14 gallons.

There doesn't seem to be too much consistency from what I can tell.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
But...this is from a Canadian. LOL!
You know someone should slap you up the side of the head one day. Why must you always comment on Canadian this and Canadian that - you are really starting to sound like a country basher!

We are actually liters up here and I think what you are refering to is an imperial gallon.

My 2.75 Gallons statement was obviously incorrect - but instead of all the snide remarks why can't people just come back and answer the question like maybe...by experience we use approx. X gallons per day camping in our X long trailer with X number of people....we have a X gallon black tank with X gallon fresh water tank and X gallon hotwater tank....

But that seems to be a bit too simple to comprehend!

Forgive me for being short tempered but - this is a public forum not just an american forum!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #33
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Oh, goodness. I'm sorry if I've offended you. It was only meant as light-hearted teasing, which apparently, the failed to convey.

Really, I love Canadians!! I was even planning a trip to your beautiful land this summer. My SON is Canadian!!! (really!).

Which reminds me: didn't you drag your trailer back from someplace in the US? I think it is a Canadian trailer! Remember my comment about the electrical panel a while back? I was browsing through my service manual, and I just happened to notice on the electrical page, they showed 2 versions of a few things, and labelled them for "Canadian models". The circuit panel box had 3 wires coming out of the top, just like yours. I think the manual also mentioned a different location for the 12v panel. Anyway..thought you'd get a kick out of that. I don't think the serial numbers reveal that information, but apparently there are (were) some code differences.

btw: what's gas going for these days? my trip to the old country may depend on that.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Oh, goodness. I'm sorry if I've offended you. It was only meant as light-hearted teasing, which apparently, the failed to convey.

btw: what's gas going for these days? my trip to the old country may depend on that.

's accepted.

We are at 87-92 cents per liter for 87 octane in our neck of the woods - don't know the exact conversion but basically x 4 and you have approx the US Gallon price.

Basically it costs us about 10 dollars more to fill up these days - hurts the pocket book. But a small price to pay to live in a Country with such privilages and benefits.

PS Airstreams are not Canadian trailers by any stretch of the imagination - all American there - just a few per year had to follow some Canadian codes for possible export - but our little baby never was exported until 2004 - 35 years after she was built in Ohio.

However we sure are proud to own a piece of our neighbours history!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Durrr, Chuck made made me look...

..and it ain't pretty.

It appears that we have a 4 prong outlet after all, but looking back at Chuck's picture, I think that the 2 hook valterra cap will not interfer with the water line. A PO also appears to have been a little sloppy/crazy with the self tapping screws. At least he used stainless. Well, mostly. We've sort of been replacing them with rivets as we go along on repairs. I hadn't noticed how bad this looked (not a place where I generally linger), until I looked at the pictures.

Time to share:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notpretty.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	6841  
Old 05-27-2004, 11:22 AM   #36
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
interesting. so your bathroom layout must be totally different than mine. did you see this thread, where I posted scans from my manual?
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11456

that dump outlet looks just like mine, though, and it only accepts a 2-prong thingy...even though there are 4 nubs on it. the 2 prong adapter fits on using 2 of those, and can be rotated to attach with the other 2. so you'd think they're all 90 degrees apart, and that a 4-prong-er would just grab all for of 'em, right? wrong. and I still don't understand why, but the bayonettes on the 4-pronger don't fit. this is what I found out when I got my "sewer solution", and had to get the adapter to fit.

My water inlet is pretty much in the same spot...a little further forward, but the line goes UP into the rear corner. If I were to put an elbow on my existing sewer outlet, and run it over to the streetside corner, it would be even closer.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:52 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
interesting. so your bathroom layout must be totally different than mine. did you see this thread, where I posted scans from my manual?
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11456
Ours, and I am sure all '71 23'ers, have a wet bath. I looked at a '73 25' Safari for sale, but it had serious problems and we passed on it, but I did like the extra 1' - 2' in the bathroom. Our setup is a (dry)closet on the curbside, small lav sink w/ a diverter to a handheld showerhead next to that, shelf space under the window area, then the throne on the streetside. The idea being that one simply shuts to door and uses the whole area to shower in. Some people like it once they get used to it because it is actually a larger area than a shower like yours.

We haven't had to use ours, so I am on the fence about it. Since the whole floor of the bathroom is the shower pan with a drain, I am thinking that there is less chance for water damage in the subfloor beneath. But everything would get wet, and water might run in areas you can't imagine, like behind the counter, so who knows? Uwe has also waxed eloquent on this subject - he seems to like the wet bath arrangement: http://www.airforums.com/forum...wreply&p=62479
Old 05-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

There were/are Canadian models available. My 77 Tradewind has the Canadian wiring. I had to rewire the umbilical twice-until I figured out that I had a Canadian model. Pretty interesting stuff. Other than the wiring, I haven't noticed any other differences.

MTpalms- I am surprised that your fresh water line runs along the frame skid. Every water inlet I have seen goes straight into the body to help keep it insulated from the weather. Is that original, or did the PO reroute it? (Maybe where the patch and valve pull are?)

Tripp
Old 05-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
mtpalms, I am also hesitant to use the shower in mine - I just know that it will allow moisture to go down into the subfloor through little cracks and crevices in such an old trailer. It would be a different story if it were new. I run and bike a lot when camping and either use the campground shower or my own hot water to do a pretty good cleanup with a washcloth. I think an outside shower would be excellent for boondocking.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:23 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp
MTpalms- I am surprised that your fresh water line runs along the frame skid. Every water inlet I have seen goes straight into the body to help keep it insulated from the weather. Is that original, or did the PO reroute it? (Maybe where the patch and valve pull are?)

Tripp
I don't know enough generally to know if that is original or not.

71Safari - does your water inlet look like the one I posted? All of our water and gas lines run underneath the belly skin.
We are going to replace them with new as time allows, but I find it odd that a gas line would just jut out from underneath, then disappear back inside where the appropriate appliance is, with no elbows. There are kinks in the line that bother me a bit, too.

To repeat, I'm eager to attend a rally so I can see what other people's trailers look like.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
water lines should be inside to keep them from freezing. gas lines are supposed to be outside...except to "pop in" to the appropriate appliance. I think the idea is that if a line should leak, the propane will stay outside the trailer, and possibly dissipate and not cause an explosion. but kinks in the line...that's another story altogether.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Talking Grey water tank

Back in the '80s I had a 1968 - 28' A/S trailer and was not satisfied with the grey water set-up (Oregon required the "Oregon bucket" with valve that closed when full). I took down the belly pan right behind the rear axle and carefully measured the exposed cavity and bought a polyethlene tank that would fit and leave room for horizontal drain line. This drain line I routed inside the frame to the grey water drain lines joinery to the black water drain. I think I found a 2" drain line valve and plumbed this in between the grey water line and tank and the main outlet fitting. This allowed several "one gallon" showers without flooding the shower pan or filling the black water tank. Proper use of the 2"valve allowed the flushing the blackwater out of the drain line easier. Keep this new tank as close to the rear axle as possible and compensate with forward weight to maintain proper hitch loading. BTW this model A/S trailer had a "y" in the blackwater tank vent line that was accessable form the back so that flushing water could easily be run through the blackwater tank. At times, I wish I still had it, but at my age that bathroom right there where I am driving certainly is handy.

Ernie and Jan