Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
New York , New York
How do you actually use the tank flush/spray?

2006 CCD 28 -- manual is not clear on this at all. Sewer valves are both open, water is hooked up to the tank flush input, water on, nothing happens.

It does mention that there is some other valve inside the trailer opposite the external port, and mentions that you should "allow pressure to build up and spray the tank in bursts" but it doesn't actually tell you where that valve is.

What am I doing wrong? How do you actually use this?

-d
dre00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Dre,
We have an '06 too and we really never had an issue with the black tank flush mechanism. I leave the black tank valve shut, hook up the water hose to the flush inlet, turn the water on, and I hear the spray head rotating, squirting water into the tank. My wife watches the system monitor and tells me when it is full at which time I pull the dump valve. I have not had to mess with any valve in the interior of the trailer.

You may have a clogged sprayer head on the inside of the black water tank. I have read some posts here that they tend to get clogged up and stop functioning.

You may try getting a blow out attachment (one used to flush water from system for winterizing) and use some air pressure to try and blow out the clog. But BE CAREFUL, too much air pressure would be a bad thing.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We have a '06 CCD 28 as well and I leave the black valve open while flushing for about five minutes. I close the black and then open the grey valve to help flush anything remaining in the hose. I do not know if this is the correct procedure.

Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Jack,
It must be something about Virgnians. We follow the same procedure you described.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Just to add a different technique idea....
I spray mine for one minute. Shut the black valve for one minute to let some water fillup the tank. Then empty. Repeat the process three times.
The sound of water spraying inside is noticeable. So if you can't hear that then probably you're plugged.
Blowing air through the lines is an idea I had not thought about.
What I would have done is purchase some black tank cleaner (soapy stuff) and tried that first. It also cleans off your sensors.
Good luck.
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
I follow basically Redd's process, but one time I got careless and overfilled the tank with the black water valve closed - don't do that! I have a dump hose with a clear plastic section, close the valve, spray for a couple minutes, dump, repeat until the flushed fluid runs clear.

If you are still under warranty, you might want to contact a good dealer or the manufacturer of the flush system.

I agree the manual is unclear. I seem to recall in one place it says to close valves, another place it says they must remain open (at least in 2005).
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have spent almost 400 nights in our dear Lucy ('05 25FB) which has the sewer flush option. So, we have quite a bit of experience in the art of dumping the tanks on an Airstream.

One thing that I consider a "must have" is one of those 6" sections of clear rigid sewer line attached between the trailer outlet and the flexible sewer hose of choice. Without this, it's hard to tell what's going on during your dumps.

I never open both the gray and the black tank valves at the same time. I save my gray till last to rinse the hose. My dumping procedure is as follows. I dump the black tank without turning on the rinse system. When the black tank is empty, I leave the valve open and start the rinse. During this operation, you should be able to clearly hear the sprayer rinsing the walls of the black tank. If you cannot hear this, you have some kind of problem with the rinsing system. I would first try the air thing from the outside with one of those little white adapters from Wal-Mart. I would do this at about 25 psi making sure that I had water in the toilet bowl with the flush gate closed. Then try the rinse water again. If this does not work, I would take it to a professional.

I usually let the tank rinse with the valve open for about 10 minutes or until the out bound water is somewhat clear. I then close the valve and let the rinse continue for a couple of minutes to get get a couple of gallons of water in the black tank to which I add a "big blue pill" (Sewer treatment packet). That completes my black tank procedure. I then let the gray go to aid in rinsing the hose. If I am planning to store Lucy after the dump, I like to have both tanks at least 1/4 full.

Please remember the number one rule of Airstream "sewerology". Never ever ever ever let the black tank go completely dry. This can result in your black tank developing the dreaded "Black Hills Syndrome" which, in extreme cases, can cause the demise of your black tank. Also remember to never leave your black tank valve open all the time when camping. Leave the valve closed and dump when needed.

Black tank valve left open = "black Hills Syndrome".

Good Luck, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I have spent many days camping in both my 27' unit and this lareger 28' unit and it amazes me what you can learn on the forums after being a A/S for close to 30 years. I have learned like Brian has stated you never leave your black tank dry. After we close off the valve we fill the toilet 3 times and dump into the black tank. The information about the internal wash is interesting because I have noticed mine is not working. I will try the air trick but I think a person would need to have had some water in the tank so any matter on the wash unit would soften with that water and the air could then force it off.
Thanks for all the good info.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Brian,

Thanks for the tip on allowing a couple of gallons remain in the balck tank along with a "blue pill". I guess we Virginians are always up for learning something new!!!

Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote