Old 10-08-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Question Holding tank valve pull's

I need to know what I am going to find when I open the inspection cover for the holding tank valves? Both tanks pull arms are disconnected or broken. Will I need to replace the valves or will I be able to re-attach the pull arms to the valves? These are Thetford valves I assume.

camphost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Both the holding tank valves have a short stainless steel shaft with a small hole in the end. The handle extension slips over this shaft and is secured with a pop rivit or sometimes a cotter key. I'll bet the reason that it is broken off is that the valve has become very hard to operate and excessive force was applied breaking the rivit off. Before attaching the handle extension it would be a very good idea to check the valve itself to make sure it is operating smoothly. If not it would be a good time to install a repair kit. These kits are readily avalilabe from most RV parts places. Good Luck,

James Schmidt
29 ft Excello 1000
97 Expedition/Hensley Hitch/
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Read this for a little hope on your exploration of your dump valves. Nice thread with a lot of tips and a happy ending.

AIR# 123

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
As always the application of a blast of WD 40 every now and then will keep those valves nice and easy to move. I spray just about everything underneath with the stuf including the jacks. WD 40 seems to attract dirt so Keep a pair of gloves in the dump out hose box to save your hands and apply liberally in the future and everything will work like a charm. JLD
Kalakkala II
Joan D'Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote