Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Holding tank questions?

Pertaining to new to me 2006 Safari 23. While flushing and sanitizing both my black and gray tanks the shower pan filled with gray water. Nasty but not as bad as black tank water. What did I do wrong?
Also is there any way to divert the water from the gray tank to the black tank?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you had the grey water dump valve closed and you fill the grey water tank over it's capacity. Then you will have grey water backing into the shower. Since it is the lowest point in the grey water system.
Why do you want to put grey water in the black water tank? You can do things like. Use a pan in the galley sink. Then pour it in the toilet.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks, that seems to be what I did. As to the gray to black transfer, just thinking. Lots of crazy questions running my head with the new trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
gray water to black tank

All you need to do is get a valve that will fit on your septic discharge line where the slinky goes. Put the valve on and close it. Open the gray water and black water valves, if the gray tank is fuller it will equalize into the black tank. The gray tank almost always gets full first.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Folks, I would use care in "sharing" the grey and black water....unless in an emergency.

Here are my reasons..
- cross contamination. If black water gets into grey tank it is possible sewage contaminated water will back up in the shower.... I would choose dishwater to back up, not sewage.
- if tanks are near/full and you move the trailer, sewer water may/could find its way into sink/shower. Yuk
- when dumping, it is nice to have a load of grey water (maybe with some remaining soap In it to flush out the "slinky"....after the Black tank contents are dumped.
- contaminated water / biological can find their way to the p-trap water and raise a stink!

Otherwise, it is your trailer... Do what you deem appropriate.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No great health or moral question here. I was not planning on direct routing of gray to black tank. Just a question.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, are you back home with your new trailer? If so, how was the trip?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Folks, I would use care in "sharing" the grey and black water....unless in an emergency.

Here are my reasons..
- cross contamination. If black water gets into grey tank it is possible sewage contaminated water will back up in the shower.... I would choose dishwater to back up, not sewage.
- if tanks are near/full and you move the trailer, sewer water may/could find its way into sink/shower. Yuk
- when dumping, it is nice to have a load of grey water (maybe with some remaining soap In it to flush out the "slinky"....after the Black tank contents are dumped.
- contaminated water / biological can find their way to the p-trap water and raise a stink!

Otherwise, it is your trailer... Do what you deem appropriate.
The idea is to not equalize your tanks unless you know the gray tank is fuller than the black tank. Give it a few seconds to equalize then close the valves. If you happen to not be on full hookup this can give you an extra day before you have to unhook and go to the dump station. Our first old trailer just had one tank that everything dumped into. Never really noticed any adverse effect, course we were young and dumb, but having a lot of fun.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
agreed y'all... Just chatting with ya!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
So, are you back home with your new trailer? If so, how was the trip?
Yep, back home again. Over all very good trip. Stopped off in Jackson Center for a couple of days to have the tails lights repaired. A bit nervous navigating all the traffic with one rear tail light not working. JC took good care of me and got them working for two hours labor, new 7 way cable/plug and led module. I was not pleased with the Draw Tite hitch that came with the trailer. Lots of nasty sway. Will be replacing it next week. Oh, by the way. Found the nasty stink that I thought was the holding tanks. Pulled a drawer out and found a partially decomposing mouse stuck to a sticky pad. Nasty is not a strong enough word for it. Cleaned it up and the small is gone.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Arrrgh!!! Nasty mice.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Take a look at the Blue Ox Swaypro, I really like mine. No sway and no noise.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Actually I have already talked to the folks at Foley Airstream about that very hitch. They have the one I need in stock. Competitive pricing (match Amazon) plus 1 hour labor for install and set up.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question all having a issue with restore 1975 Argosy ,I am new to this part of my Argosy .
I Have a leak under the rear of the Argosy , toilet is off so to check my Black Tan closed black tank valve and turned water on , I then put garden H. in black tank hole turned water on No Leak, so I believe Black tank is good no leaks opened valve and let water out .

Now I hooked water up out side to Argosy closed Black and Gray water valve and the leak started again ,went is side of the Argosy no water on the floor and check regulator dry no leaks ??????????
Also put Garden h. in tub ran it tub has no leaks as well as sink .
Question :
Last resort tank pan off under Argosy the will be a bear ? need help here guys .
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote