Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
1975 27' Overlander
La Honda , California
Holding tank procedures

I've got a 1960, 18' Traveler that I picked up about two months ago. I'm new to the whole RV/trailer business so I've been trolling the forum a whole bunch and you have helped me get through the water, electric, towing, propane and more. I'm down to the water system which so far looks positive.

I found the thread "holding tank procedures" which is great reference. But I have an even more basic question. I seem to have a single tank for waste. I have found a big black pipe out the bottom which is obviously the waste pipe. Is there a valve somewhere or does the river just flow when I open the dam? Is this thing behind the toilet the valve and how do I use it?

Thanks ahead of time before I literally get myself in deep doo doo.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	85148  
Woodywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1960 18' Traveler
1975 27' Overlander
La Honda , California
Waste system addendum

OK. I did a little clean up, held my breath and ran a clean water test on the system. The photo of the valve shown is the release. It was sticky and stiff, but once cleaned up, it does allow the river to run once it's opened.

Problem solved.

Bob
Woodywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
Hi, we just purchased our 1972 Ambassador which needs a good bit of work and are now in panic mode. We have many questions. To start, sounds really silly, but we can't find the grey water tank. We are new to the AS but not new to rving, so we are confused. Could we just have one tank? How exactly does that work and does anyone know how much it holds? Thanks in advance.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi - and welcome to the forums!

A 72 only has one tank - the black water tank for the toilet. No gray water tank. There are a few threads in the forums on dealing with that particular issue, with one of the easiest and cheapest being to purchase a separate portable waste tank to collect the gray water. You then need to haul it to a dump station to dispose of properly. Most states will not let you simply drain gray water onto the ground any more. Airstream added gray water tanks starting in the mid 70's (I forget the exact year).

Not sure about your Ambassador, but my 72 Sovereign has an 18 gal black water tank.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
Holding Tank

Thanks Chris. My husband went outside today and investigated - just the one black water tank. No big problem as we do have a portable tank for the grey water and where our summer campsite is, there is no sewage onsite anyway.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote