Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Holding tank flange - caulk?

After 26 years, the Thetford valves on my holding tanks have started to leak. I removed the sheetmetal pan and discoved that the screws holing the valve to the tank flange were very rusted and - as a result - had split the flange where they threaded in. I have new parts (including stainless screws and brass inserts) and will be putting it back together shortly - I hope! My question is what sort of sealant/caulk to use to seal the tank/flange connection? It appears that the factory used a white substance that remained slightly flexible. It worked well. My first thought was some sort of marine sealant for underwater through hull fittings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try and attach a photo showing the problem and the remaining caluk/sealant.

Thanks Whit Nash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flange1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	129187  

Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I was told to use Vulkem 116, which I did use 2 years ago and it is still holding fine, in fact it is still soft.
If you can't find any let me know, I have a few tubes left.

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Bruce,

Thanks for the information, I actually ordered some when I got the new flanges from Inland. (Would have responded earlier but was busy this weekend: grandson's soccer game in Benton Harbor and Mother's Day in Albion at stepson's.)

Starting to get it back together. Brief setback when the gray tank fell out on the ground! It looks like they drop the tanks through the frame into the sheetmetal pan - and THEN put down the chipboard floor. The only things holing the tank in were the two hose clamps on the inlet pipes. I'm building some supports to hold the tanks up so I can get the exit plumbing installed and then finally the support pan.

I don't think they dsesigned it so you could easily replace the valves or change the seals - oh well, I should be able to get it done shortly.

Hope that you are having fun with the old trailer - I notice the extra weight in the new one.

Thanks again,

Whit Nash
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Whit,

I didn't notice it was you I was responding to until today when I reread your post.
We are having a ball with the camper, the kids can't get enough of camping. They are trying to talk mom and dad into going to Maine for the summer.

I am currently trying to get new cushions and get them reupholster but foam is not cheap.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Repair report

Bruce,

As you suggested the Vulkem worked, out for a week and no leaks! The only thing that I'd do different is to modify the pan that holds the tanks up; I'd cut out the part by the valves and tank fittings and make it a separate access panel. That way I could have reinstalled the gray tank and then installed the fiffings and valves with the tanks in place, (As it was, I had to "guess" how things were going to line up while installing the new valves.

I am a little surprised that the factory did not plan for a straightforward valve/seal replacement - but in their defense it did last about a quarter century. Hope I don't have to spend more time under her for a while!

Maine this summer? Sharon and I are heading to WoodenBoat school (Brooklin ME) in late August. Looking forward to it but being off the grid for two weeks is prompting me to check into two 6 volt deep cycle batteries and solar recharger.

Thanks again,

Whit Nash