Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Blu Hwy Lady,
Your pictures appear to confirm Chuck's analysis. It appears you have the same plumbing that Chuck describes. The gray water from sinks and shower is by-passing the black-water dump valve as it should, and leaking past the worn out gasket on your sewer drain cap as it should not. The most important stuff is as it should be. All you need is a new gasket for the sewer cap.

Now, it is simply a matter of you becoming more knowledgable and comfortable with your Airstream and its systems.

What do you think, Chuck?

Ken

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
Is this the drain access?
yep. its directly under the shower drain.

Quote:
Here's the thing I think is supposed to be the drain hose for the sink&shower. Note, it looks like there was another drain hole before.
no, that is most likely a pressure relief drain. there is a gizmo in one of the water supply lines inside the trailer that will open if there is excessive pressure in the line, and let the water out there. There are also low-point drains that allow you to drain all the water out of the lines, for winterizing or maintenance. these typically exit the trailer with similar half inch tubing.

Quote:
Now, the really bad results of my experiment: First I ran water down the sink in the bath. I heard dripping outside and thought, "great, it works." Wrong! I went out and looked and despite the dump hand being in and the cap on, soapy water was dripping out. The same thing happened with the kitchen sink. Now what?
dripping out of what? the braided pvc tube, or the sewer outlet?

if its the sewer outlet, then it means that the cap is not on tightly, or the rubber gasket is worn to the point where it won't seal tightly. but it should be water tight, more or less...not critical. Look at the pic of mine. its a different style, but same idea. it should snap on tightly. mine has the 5/8 garden hose threaded adapter built into it, so that I can connect a drain hose to a blue tote-tank to collect grey water. If you leave that cap on and start running water into the shower, its going to back up pretty quickly.

anyway, if thats where the water is coming out, then that means it is working as I described. the only thing that goes into the tank is what comes out of the toilet. it is sitting ON your black tank, which is inside your trailer, sitting ON the floor. your shower drain is IN the floor, BELOW the level of this tank, and water emptying from it can not drain UP into that tank. (you wouldnt' want it to, anyhow, as that tank is small, and it would fill up fast!).

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
What do you think, Chuck?

Ken
yup. you beat me to it!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks guys, but I'm still a little confused by what Klevin said:
"The gray water from sinks and shower is by-passing the black-water dump valve as it should, and leaking past the worn out gasket on your sewer drain cap as it should not. The most important stuff is as it should be. All you need is a new gasket for the sewer cap."

If it doesn't go in the "black water" tank where does it go? (I know that probably sounds really stupid.) The owner's manual says, "The waste water from the sink, shower, bath and lavatory, bypasses the holding tank, yet drains through the same outlet as the waste; therefore you need to make only one connection when hooking up in a trailerpark with sewage facilities"

My ex-husband and I had a '76 Layton with a grey water and black water tanks that could be drained separately or together through the same outlet using different dump valves. However, it was so funky in design it came with a "wand" that screwed onto a hose that had to be threaded through the bathroom window to rinse the black water tank, so that's sort of what my background is.

When my son was giving me the initial tour of my Airstream he said, "it only has one tank". I thought that meant that both the black and gray waste mixed in the same tank.

So, the question remains, do I work at getting the screws out of the access panel? (Spraying them with some sort of stuff like WD-40 first) If so, do I need to remove both sets of screws or only the ones on the hump thingy? And once I get them off, what do I find in there? (I mean, besides scary, yucky stuff?) and what will be the next step to unclog the shower drain. I can still plunge it and stuff comes up. When it gets towed to the movie set on the 14th I want to make sure that more stuff doesn't bubble up into the bath pan. I'm eager for the Airstream to make a good impression on the set dresser on the inside and the outside.

Thanks again for helping out this rank newbie. What a great group you are.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
In my 77 which has both black water and grey water tanks, the shower did not drain into either tank. The water collected in the drain pipe and then backs up into the shower. The drain pipe only holds a gallon or so of water. When the pipe is uncapped - the water runs out onto the ground. We rerouted this ( I think) when we did some work tot he stystems. To date - it hasn't been an issue - We have never actually used the shower.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't Do Anything! Your Drain is Fine

Dear Blu Hwy Lady,
Your Airstream does not have a gray water holding tank. Your Layton did.

With the sewer cap in place, If you put water down the kitchen sink or bathroom sink, first the drain pipes will fill up and then your shower will fill up giving you the impression that your shower drain is clogged. It is not clogged. It is waiting for you to remove the cap and hook up the sewer hose just like the Owner's Manual says.

Your Airstream was built during a more environmentally innocent time, when people kept their black water (from the toilet) in holding tanks and let their gray water (from the sinks and shower) run on the ground.

Since you do not have a gray water holding tank, you should probably purchase a portable holding tank ( A Blue Belly).

Please call me to discuss. I am in Albuquerque. 323-8654

I would be happy to come see your Airstream and explain how everything works. Please don't unscrew anything for now.

Ken
Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks so much Klevan. I really didn't want to start taking things apart, especially lying on my back in the dirt wondering whether the baby rattlesnake who lives nearby might decide to cuddle up undersomething warm. Things seem to be coming together in my mind about how this stuff works. (And I will give you a call.) I guess I just couldn't fathom that the gray water would just spill out onto the ground by design. When we used to camp in the Jemez in the Layton, I always used backpacking soap to wash the dishes so we could drain the gray water tank on a favorite little tree near where we camped. I guess a portable will be necessary when staying at RV parks. We actually got kicked out of an RV park in Colorado because our black water tank cracked and we had a bucket of cat litter under it.

and
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #22
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Leaves

Hmm... in storage five years, leaves in the drain. I'd check to see if the cover on the bathroom plumbing vent is there. Did the 72 have one?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
X-ray Vision

If you had X-Ray vision, this is what you would see when looking up at the back corner of your trailer.

note that the pipes from the sink/shower drains connect to the sewer pipe below the black tank valve. I know I said that before...but its better to "see".

If you take the cap off the sewer pipe, and look up inside there with a flashlight, you'll see where these pipes enter in from the sides. There's nothing in those pipes to stop the drain water, so it just falls out onto the ground. (or into a bucket...or blue-boy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71dump.jpg
Views:	3021
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	21217  
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Wow! Nicely done, Chuck! Are you also faster than a speeding bullet?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Wow! Nicely done, Chuck! Are you also faster than a speeding bullet?
yeah. but thats not always a good thing.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
WoW! Thanks Chuck!

Between Klevan's description and your drawing---Now I get it! And it feels like duh...of course! Somehow I just couldn't get my brain around the idea that the water just drained out of the trailer. I copied your drawing to keep in my "Airstream" file. It's classic. Maybe there some other place to post it on these forum for ignorant newbies like me.

So, now it all makes sense. The folks at the RV hospital must have run a bunch of water through the lines after "Airylle's" multiple-vessel copper plumbing bypass operation. Maybe they put some kind of soap in to rinse out flux or whatever...that's why all the soap suds. If they didn't open the dump cap, the water would slosh back up the drain into the bathroom when we towed up here to its new home in the mountains.

This is just so cool that everybody here would contribute so much information to help me understand this.

Thanks again

and