Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
Help Needed: macerator pump on a '68 ambassador

Hello all and thank you for your help in some of the other forums.

Please help!

We have a 1968 airstream ambassador.
I am looking to install and have already set up a macerator pump to
send black water to the septic system where we are semi-permanently parked.

However, there is no grey water tank on this model and Im worried that if I hook up the macerator the grey water will then have no way to drain (and it will back up into the black tank/the trailer which I dont want)

Im wondering if there is a way to both have the macerator attached semi-permanently, so I dont have to put it on every other day, AND have my grey water drain semi permanently as well?

Any suggestions?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Etan,

I have a Sani Con macerator system semi-permanently installed in my remodel of a 1976 ARGOSY by Airstream.

( By semi-permanent I mean that I can remove it for service or, if there is a system failure of any kind, I can temporarily revert to the stinky slinky).

If I understood your situation better I might be able to advise you.

Do I take it that on the pre-grey tank models the sinks and shower are plumbed direct to the waste valve, so that the grey can run out of the slinky at all times?

The Sani Con features a patented Grey Water By-Pass but it is not rocket science and, with a bit of ingenuity, you could build the same thing.

Sani-Con Model 62-5800-6004 HB Parts

You might be able to understand how the by-pass works from the schematic above.

Where are you located?

Sergei

Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
Sergei

Im in the Hudson Valley about an hour North of NYC.
Thanks for getting back to me. Youre right the sinks and shower are plumbed direct to the waste valve, so that the grey can run out of the slinky at all times and such that there is no way to stop it or store it.

I like your idea but the problem is that there is no way to store the grey water and since the septic is slightly uphill even if I hooked up a by pass, Im worried it would still back up.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
E,

I don't understand how the pre-tank set ups work.

Can you describe yours more fully?

Are you attached to a slinky at all times when parked? Does that slinky run up-hill?

A by-pass might work so long as the exit point is lower than the shower pan.

How do you plan to mount or attach the macerator to the black water valve? Will it pump into a 3" slinky or a 1" hose?

Maybe if I can understand your situation more fully I can suggest something.

Can you post any photos that will help?

Sergei

you can see my system in post 526 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post608819
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
The problem clarified

Sorry for the delay,
allow me to clarify.

Pictures of the outlet are attached as you can see the side hole is the grey water which feeds in directly to the 4" black water exit. The grey does not have a stop valve or tank and just comes out and the black has a T valve.

The pump as you can see has a clear hose (for the waste) and has a hose attachment at the grey elbow which we put in to be able to clean out the pump with water after use.

We are using 4 inch pvc (with a barb attachment to the trailer) which then narrows down to fit in the macerator and then well attach a 5/8 hose.

The problem is that the septic intake is higher than where I am and, since the gray and black come out of the same outlet, theres no (easy and clean) way to switch between grey and black, without having to switch them out constantly.

I could use the elbow connection to drain the grey water when not using the macerator for black water however I wont be able to clear out the macerator sufficiently (and as Im doing so it will likely back up into the shower...not fun) and then well be releasing black water residue with our grey water.

One potential alternative would be to tap into the grey water pvc pipe before it reaches the main outlet (see picture, its the one right below the blue wire) and basically have a separate hose that then runs for grey water. That the only thing I can think of now.

Another side problem now is that the white barb attachment seems to be leaking where it meets the trailer (and I dont know why).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5670.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	161459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5671.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	161460  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5673.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	161461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5674.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	161462  

Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
O.K., I understand a bit more but how do you handle the grey water now? Where does it flow to after the outlet? How do you get rid of it??

Sergei
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
right now the original grey water hose is hooked up still and the macerator is off, but Im trying to figure what to do once that macerator is hooked up. Basically I didnt think that part through until it was done and now Im trying to figure it out.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
OK, progress to understanding is still slow. By " hose" do you mean the 3" slinky? Where does the grey water drain to?

If I can understand your situation I might be able to make a suggestion.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
And one more question: how far away is the septic tank and how much higher than the outlet is it?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
The septic is about 50 feet away and maybe 5 vertical feet above the outlet. The hose that is currently hooked up is just a regular 1/2 in. garden hose which is draining the grey water (its on an adapter which allows the 1/2 inch to be screwed into the 4 inch grey/black outlet.

does that make sense?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
So, the grey water garden hose doesn't drain to the septic now, right? ( it can't if the end of the hose is 5' above the septic).

Sergei
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Macerator/Gray water

Hello etanbf

Just wondering, could you turn on the macerator/pump to send gray water up to the sewer inlet periodically so the gray water doesn't back up in your pipes?

Sounds too easy, I don't know much about that macerator system, but thought I'd toss that out there.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
n/a , n/a
Sergei -The grey water currently is just draining off to the side of the trailer about 30 ft away on a downhill slope and the black water system is not currently set up (until I figure out this problem)

Snakecharmer- Im all about easy solutions, in fact im looking for one. Unfortunately though that would mean turning it on whenever we ran the faucet, and even if we did that the macerator cant be run for too long, so to run it constantly (like if we were taking a shower) would probably harm the macerator. Also if we forgot for whatever reason black water could back up into our grey water lines (which could be a bit smelly).
Thanks though, Im all about ideas. Anything at this point would be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Etan,

Your reply to Snakecharmer shows that you understand the macerator and your system pretty well.

Short of installing a grey water tank with a seperate valve, draining to what would now be a common oulet for the two valves, grey and black, you can only follow your own idea in post 5 above, which is to interupt the grey line before it gets to the existing outlet ( your second photo).

I'd install an elbow and T there and use a two way valve so that you could shut down that line if you were moving the trailer or your hose or something like that.

A good place to find such valves will be an agricultural supply company in the rural areas around you, the kind that sell spraying equipment.

You can probably track stuff like that down on the internet too but if you have a farm supply company somwhere near that has the advantage of touching and feeling the stuff and being able to quickly imagine how you could put it to use.

My macerator is much more permanently installed than yours is but I consider it one of the best things I did in my extensive remodel. As in your situation, it gives you a tremendous amount of choice and flexibility. You don't always need to be in a RV park, or parked right next to a dump.

Let me know what you decide on.

Sergei,

Trying to type on my iPad