Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Help me vent

Hi guys,

I've been looking around the forums for some newbie help in this black tank venting area.

I have a '94 Excella Classic 25' with the center bath. I bought her with a full pair of tanks, and she hasn't been flushed yet. I'm eagerly awaiting the necessary adapters to run the Sewage Solution for the first time.

But there is a strong smell of sweet sewage (with overtones of vinyl flooring glue) that permeates the trailer, and I suspect that venting isn't up to par.

To make matters worse, I can't find any reference in the Owner's Manual about the location and servicing of said vents. Can you please point out to me where the black tank vent is? Is it the little squared vent?

Cheers,

H.A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	123411  

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That little thing is a vent cap. you may have more than one. I'd give it the old sniff test.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Did the sniff test on that one earlier today and no real strong smell... which has me thinnin' it's blocked. I've got some long wire to probe it with tonight, and hope to make a ventilation "breakthrough."
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The vent pipe should come straight up from the blank. If you know where the tank is then the vent should be directly overhead.

Good luck with the probing. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Godaddy64 if the toilet bowl does not have water in it sewer gas will vent back up through the toilet into the trailer. Fill the toilet bowl with fresh water and observe it to make sure that it holds water. The toilet flap seal may be leaking and if the water drains out gas will seep back in. It is highly unlikely the vent pipe is blocked it is 1 1/2" in diameter. There should be three vents like that small square one on the roof. One for the black or toilet tank, one for the grey tank(sinks & shower water) and one usually above the galley (kitchen) to allow water to flow easily through the pipes into the tank.These vents should have a screen over them to keep insects and debris from getting into the pipes so be careful "probing" them.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
I probed the Star Ship through the frayed screen. Using an electrical cable snake, I got to something that felt like a valve flap, well down the vent. I backed off so as not to damage anything, but this eliminated the clog theory.

I tried to pour some water into the toilet, but it drains down every time.

Then i discovered yet another reason for my funky smelling trailer: It leaks. I found a puddle from a recent storm, and it looks like the leak might come from the big roof window in front of the A/C.

The carpet under the fridge and the little cabinet next to it was soggy/moldy and I've been able to remove some of it from under the cabinet. How they put the cabinetry on top of the carpet is beyond me, but now I must:
a) find a way to remove moldy old carpet from under the fridge.
b) study these here forums to learn the art of AS weatherproofing restoration.
c) get a new seal for the w/c.

Is this on par for these 1994 vintage trailers?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Update: Let's face it. This trailer needs more work than I thought it did when I bought it... and I'm certainly a riveting virgin no more. How cliché is that?

So I did a lot of waterproofing and skylight-improving. I put new seals around the vents and sealer around seams/rivets. I made a scraping tool from a coarse sawzall blade held by vice grip pliers, and used it to get some soggy carpet from under the cabinetry. So the leaks are mostly stopped and the floors are mostly saved from rotting away any further.

Then I finally had a chance to dump the contents of the black/gray tanks, and it revealed yet another problem: The dump valves leak into the belly pan. I guess the vast clumps of old solids masked the problem before the big flush and clean. But now the trailer smells like a French public toilet in late summer.

So now I must r/r the toilet flap seal from the top and do the harakiri of the belly pan to get to the dump valves from the bottom. Electric sheet metal shears are on order. I have a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better...