Old 08-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
Hey Chuck, good threads never die. This one is haunting you! How's that grey water project coming??? ;-)

Stormy Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by BobbyW
Grey water tanks began in 1973.

Got a 1973 31 foot Sovereign bought brand new by my father with NO grey water tank.
1973 Argosy 20 has no grey water tank either.
Friend has a 1974 25 footer with a grey water tank.

Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #31
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
so, what's a reasonable size for tanks, then? mine didn't have anything in it. the previous owner had removed pretty much everything but the wheels. does anyone know what an 18 footer came with?

this is my first camper as well. i want to make sure i have enough water for an occasional shower and a long weekend. 32 is all i could fit in ours, without going above floor, and loosing precious interior space. 15 feet gets eaten up quick!

a 32 gallon tank should weigh in around 225. i think when i mount it, i should run 3 straps up to the floor as well as the snug fitting pan. bad bumps could make that 225 feel more like 400, i bet. that's a thump i wouldn't want to hear. ha!
My 1971 had a 36 gal strapped grey tank, and ot was reasonable for a few quick showers and some kitchen work, about enough for 1.5 days of normal use. Some people get 6 month out of a 36 gal tank, but apparently that's not us. Hence, the Overlander has 55gal fresh, 55 gal grey, and 2o gal black now.
Your short little trailer will not have as much room, but you can surely fit a 20gal grey tank between the frame rails, enough for comfortable use during travel and a night or two of boondocking. I would suggest to mount the tank immediately behind the axle, as close as possible to the "pivot" point of the trailer.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 AM   #32
Addicted to Aluminum
1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Originally Posted by uwe
I would suggest to mount the tank immediately behind the axle, as close as possible to the "pivot" point of the trailer.
hey man,

i was thinking the same thing! here's a couple of photos of how i have the tanks laid out (these pics are from a while ago, before the frame was even painted). each tank mounts basically at the spring hangers on each side. fresh up front, grey in the rear. i moved the cross-members towards the axle to make room for the tanks. that gave me a total of 4 cross members in less than 4 feet, so i'd say the floor is pretty well supported!

you can also get an idea of how much the tanks are going to hang down. my frame is only 4 inches tall.

Attached Images

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 AM   #33
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Hanging Low, Ungainly

Originally Posted by joatmon
No, what is really "funny" is that the cheapest & easiest solution is already available to you - Be your own "Turd Patrol", and don't fill up your tanks if you worry about gas.
Good point.

The belly hangs low and the rear looks like, well, un-sleek in the '76. It looks like a production change in response to frame sag.
When this sucker gets pulled apart for a new floor the idea is to get aerodynamic and utilitatian, sort of like how Shaker is to furniture.
I am not into change for changes sake.

There is another current thread that has drawings on designs of septic systems.

My goal is simple, thrifty (Talk is cheap, Airstreams are not) and sleek.

fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote