Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Gray Tank Install

Wanted to thank you all for this posting, I am in the middle of a frame off on a 72 31' sovereign. I noticed that you did not have drain holes cut into your tanks and was wondering what the Pro or Con you were talking about on the vent lines. My big hold up is VTS getting a new shipment in. This is the perfect post for anyone retrofitting their Airstreams that I have looked at. Thanks a million. Hope you don't care if I use your drawings, this is what I was trying to decide on.

cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks again Alan. I guess I will have a few things to get fabricated this week. I did see the post with the loader assisted install. I don't think I will go quite that far but then again I haven't tried sliding my floor in there yet either. I like your creative use of skilled child labor! That is awesome!

Now when you said you rarely see a frame in that mine a good thing or bad??!! My trailer was originally found down in AZ so the I think that May have kept things from rusting through like some you see. Even your picture above looks like you had some pretty nasty metal under your black tank.

I think the stainless hold down plate would be an awesome idea. I originally thought of steel coated in POR15 and then use some of that rubber adhesive flashing to insulate from the aluminum. But with stainless I might be able to get away without any of that. In you second photo above is that looking down into the c channel with the subfloor at the top? Did you coat the rear c channel with something?

I just received my saturating epoxy from VTS so hopefully I can get all my wood cut and edges treated this week. My welder is coming next weekend and so after that it will be reassembly time. Did you make a solid rear cross member that spans the frame and the angle at the bottom? Colin from the VAP seems to use that concept and then have the dump valve coming out the bottom in front of it to keep the bumper compartment free of any excess holes.

The other thing I've not been able to see a picture of is the little flashing piece that a lot of people are talking about that is used to further protect the end grain of the subfloor in the back. My understanding is that it would install under the hold down plate and on top of the subfloor. But it seems like unless you had it totally wrap the end grain of the subfloor you would still have a means of letting water wick back under the floor and above the rear hatch plate. Any thoughts or photos would be most appreciated.

Cole3444, by all means use what you can. I wouldn't have posted my drawings if I didn't want to make them available. I just hope two things.. One that they all work out in the end and that VTS gets more than 4 tanks in when they finally are back in stock! my thought on not having extra drains on the tanks other than the main one going out the back was I first off didn't want any extra appendages hanging out the bottom of the trailer. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to put valves on there that would be accessible and yet wouldn't be another point to worry about freezing. I'm really hoping the combo vent and inlets work well in this case too. I guess I'll find out.

Ryan Jilek
WBCCI 7165 | TAC ND-3

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Gray water tank install

I see what you mean on drains with this setup, are you tying your gray tank drains into your original vents going thru the roof or will the combo vent take care of the venting and if so where are you getting your combo vent, not sure what they are. please post a pic when you get that far if you have time. You make it easy for a newby starting out with a full restoration.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
I posted a thread yesterday outlining roughly what I did to seal off the rear. No opening for water, vermin, or daylight now.

You asked about the second photo previously - that view is looking up at the underside of the aft cross member bolted to the hold down plate with subfloor on top of that, and (unseen) U-channel on top of that. The reflection is off the new alclad sheet I slipped up in-between the old skin and the vertical part of the plate. I hope the thread answers your other questions; if not, we'll all get it figured out!

TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote