Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Grey water tank sensor

2005 25'SS Safari
My gray water tank sensor has been out since the start of the new year.I have not replaced it yet but now I am ready to do this sometime next week.I have no way of getting to it except to cut out the side of the plastic box underneath the Airstream.I am wondering if anyone has done this before.The reason I ask is because it seems to me that there would be some space in the box so I could cut the side open and then replace the sensor.Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think I will be calling Airstream on this one but just wanted to ask here before I do.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
2005 25'SS Safari
My gray water tank sensor has been out since the start of the new year.I have not replaced it yet but now I am ready to do this sometime next week.I have no way of getting to it except to cut out the side of the plastic box underneath the Airstream.I am wondering if anyone has done this before.The reason I ask is because it seems to me that there would be some space in the box so I could cut the side open and then replace the sensor.Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think I will be calling Airstream on this one but just wanted to ask here before I do.Thanks.
When I had to have mine work on they cut and access panel in the belly pan.
Do you know where the sensor is located? if so cut an access hole with aircraft snips. Get some aluminum to make a new cover plate and stainless screws to put the new cover back on the trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
2005 25'SS Safari
Hi we have a 2005 Safari 30' Bunkhouse with gray tank sensor problems. Just saw your post and wondered if you had success with the replacement. Would love any suggestions you might have for completing the job before we try to do the same thing.

Thanks! Carolyn
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Sensor

Not yet...I have just been very busy and have not had time.I will hopefully get it done sometime in the next couple of months before I start traveling again and I will post it up when I do.
It has just been so darn hot here in florida hitting a heat index of around 101 to 107 in the last week or so.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Have you tried cleaning out the tank. Real good.

I would do easy first.

I've always been a big fan of cutting access panels but never had much luck with the plastic belly pans. It is hard to get a good seal when you try to make your home-made door to go back over the opening.
I would take the straps off and drop the tank.

Dan
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
_

. , .
while cleaning might help...

the sensors used for the last 10 years are not SUPPOSED 2b affected by small amounts of MOIST crud.
_______

the belly pan is typically galvanized sheet metal UNDER the tanks, not plastic.

there is PLASTIC on the sides/drains tubes for SOME models (safaris)...

and SOME sensor are not mounted directly IN the tank, but along the drain pipes.

so it really is important to KNOW where the micropulse sensors are on YOUR specific unit.
_______

the factory techs did cut access doors in the sheet metal on my unit for ALL 3 sensors,

and covered them with sheet metal/screws for quick easy access by ME.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ors-45603.html

trying to DROP THE TANK on any of these newer units is a bad idea...

and doesn't improve SENSOR access in the least.
_______

devoman has previously serviced his black tank sensor,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ank-24903.html

so he knows how to approach this...

others need to VERIFY sensor placement before dropping, cutting or other wise fooln' around.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Tank

I talked to the Shu-man a while back at Airstream in an e-mail and he told me to get in touch with him so he can let me know what to do.(That is cutting into the box wall or maybe a better way of doing it.)I just have not had the time really.To busy at work at the moment and if I were to call and then try it weeks down the road I might have to call back again.I dont want to do that.
Once I get a chance to work on it I will post up some pics as to what I did.
Just to let everyone know....This is for a 2005 25'SS Safari.Other Airstream styles and size differ in where the sensors are located.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Is it a Micro-Pulse system? They suck. Mine has never worked right. I was even sent new sensors and re-calibrated the system. Nothing helped. Wish I had the old contact system from the 70's. It was simple and it worked.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
I'm confused (not a great revelation). My gray water has been showing full on the micro pulse panel (it's empty). We have a 2008 28 CCD. How many sensors are there on the gray water tank? I think there is just one and it's located on the gray water drain pipe near the dump valve. Is this correct?

Tnx for your help.

Lyle & Margie
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Black

The black tank is the bigger pipe with the sensor on it like mine is.Fresh water is on the side of the tank at the bottom and the grey should be the same but on mine they are hidden inside the protective box.The problem I am having is how deep can I cut into the plastic box without hitting the tank itself.This is a project I will be working on here soon before the end of October.I need to replace this sensor.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
No Reading on Grey tank sensor

I'm spending the first couple nights in my new-to-me 2013 Flying Cloud 19. It was used twice and stored indoors unused for the past 2.5 years (the original owners sadly were lost in a small plane crash.) So it's in really pristine condition, but of course I expected there might be a few issues. After all it's an RV

One of my discoveries is that the grey tank is not showing any reading on the systems monitor. When I activate the scroll function, it skips past the grey tank reading, and when in 'monitor' mode, the LED light next to "Gray Water" is not lit up at all. Hoping for a bad connection behind the monitor panel or wherever the sensor plugs in.

Any advice on the first place to look?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I like your idea of looking for loose connections behind the monitor panel, but to dig any deeper may require a trip to the shop IMO. I am guessing that your monitor sensor is mounted on the outside of the holding tank, and hidden inside the metal pan on the bottom of your coach. Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will reply. Does the owner's manual say anything about the sensor location?

Will a new circuit board/monitor panel be needed? TBD.

PS -- When my refrigerator fan stopped working recently, I discovered an inline 1 Amp glass fuse behind the fan's on/off switch. I doubt if your single malfunctioning sensor has its own inline fuse, but when you remove the monitor panel you will know.

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
PCSkier:
When you first turn on the monitor panel does the LED next to the gray tank position light up as the monitor panel initializes? If that LED comes on during initialization and then goes out it may be due to a bad connection either at the monitor panel or where the wires from the tanks connect to the wires from the monitor panel or at the sensor or a bad sensor.

If your 19 is like my 25 in the area around the water pump you will see the telephone cables go down to the tanks. There is a telephone wire connector coupler for each wire so the tank wires can be connected to the wires coming down from the monitor panel. Check those connections.
Kelvin
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
[snip]
One of my discoveries is that the grey tank is not showing any reading on the systems monitor. When I activate the scroll function, it skips past the grey tank reading, and when in 'monitor' mode, the LED light next to "Gray Water" is not lit up at all. Hoping for a bad connection behind the monitor panel or wherever the sensor plugs in.

Any advice on the first place to look?
I hope your trip worked out! Did you discover anything about your grey water tank sensor? I think my black water sensor is not working right.

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote