Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Grey water tank question?

I read an article in the Blue Berret that got me thinking. The authur said to take navy showers when you are boondocking or when you don't have sewer hook ups to save on gray tank capacity. Well we do this always. I mean it didn't occur to me to take a "regular" shower when we had sewer hook up and leave the gray tank valve open.

When our dealer was demonstrating all of the systems, he said that you hold the tanks and dump them once each day, dumping the black tank first and use the gray tank to flush the hose. This is what we have been doing but on two occasions we have filled our gray tank and had it back up into the shower and I was wondering, if you have a sewer hook up how many people leave the gray tank valve open all the time and hold the black tank only. I can see doing this up to the last night and holding the gray tank then to flush the sewer hose then. But, on the other hand, our '06 LS package included a flush system for rinsing the black tank and I do that for 5-10 minutes while I take everything else down to leave anyway.

I guess my question is am I holding the gray tank needlessly when we have full hookups? Are we taking navy showers when we don't have to? Hot water capacity not withstanding.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
... and I was wondering, if you have a sewer hook up how many people leave the gray tank valve open all the time and hold the black tank only. I can see doing this up to the last night and holding the gray tank then to flush the sewer hose then.
That's what we do.

We (actually, me ... Petunia won't get near a sewer hose ) also use a Flush King once in a while ... much better than the stock rinse system ... which I use every time I dump the black tank.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
It would be nice if more dealers or particularly their salespeople would actually go camping in the trailers they sell. I asked this question at an RV show to several salespeople and got the common answer- No I am too busy here. Some would say my parents used to camp when I was younger.
By all means open your grey water tank valve and let her run that is how it is designed to work. Hold on the the black stuff and use the flush feature and be glad you have one. We Classic owners have to drag hoses and use after market devices.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
When the ship is in port and hooked up to shore water the shower will change from a Navy shower to a Hotel Shower ues all the water you want. I myself use the open gray water tank valve and close the last day method.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Gray Water Procedure

We also use the "gray water open until the last morning routine". We then also do a complete flush of the black tank.

On the shower issue, when we're hooked up, we shower just like home. We have also found that the water heater recycles very quickly. We both have showered back to back and have been unable to run the hot water out. We have also found that we only have to turn the water heater on ten minutes before we want to use it. We make it a practice to leave the water heater off until we need it.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I would/do leave the gray tank closed even if we are at full hook ups. Maybe it's just me, but I like to have the volume of gray water in there just so that the force of the dump may (or maybe not) push out any solid "pieces" from cooking, washing dishes, etc. Before departure, we also pur a bunch of clean water down all drains to clean the traps to prevent them from getting to smelly during storage. We also use drain stoppers to slow the evaporation of those traps as well.

As for the black tank, it has been noted that the closer to maximumn capacity you can get, the better your dump will be be for the same reason as above.

Jonathan
Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
"Tanks" everyone. This will improve our camping experience when we have full hook-ups. We will be less roughing it to not have to take navy showers. Now to find state parks with full hook-ups and figure out how to get a bigger hot water heater...but that's another thread.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
.... Before departure, we also pur a bunch of clean water down all drains to clean the traps to prevent them from getting to smelly during storage. We also use drain stoppers to slow the evaporation of those traps as well.
Good idea with the drain stoppers!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
...but I like to have the volume of gray water in there just so that the force of the dump may (or maybe not) push out any solid "pieces" from cooking, washing dishes, etc. ...
Jonathan
I was reading an article on some web sitethe other day...can't remember where or what the circumstances were, but I think it was a tank or rv manufacturers site...they said the same thing: its best to get the big "whoosh" effect, even w/ the grey tanks. that's how they get smelly. little bits of left-over solids do get stuck in there. They also said that 3" dump pipes should be used instead of the common 1 1/2".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I was reading an article on some web sitethe other day...can't remember where or what the circumstances were, but I think it was a tank or rv manufacturers site...they said the same thing: its best to get the big "whoosh" effect, even w/ the grey tanks. that's how they get smelly. little bits of left-over solids do get stuck in there. They also said that 3" dump pipes should be used instead of the common 1 1/2".
Never seen a 1-1/2" sewer hose?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Never seen a 1-1/2" sewer hose?
the drain pipes coming out of many (if not most) grey tanks are 1 1/2"...they typically connect to a 3" pipe from the black tank or some joint often referred to as a "collector", to which the standard 3" sewer hose connects.

but now that you mention it...I actually have a 3/4" sewer hose that I'd be happy to show you:

Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
I have been told that vectors have used an open line to gain access to the tank....Yikes!

Rats, bugs and things, Oh My!!
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
the drain pipes coming out of many (if not most) grey tanks are 1 1/2"...they typically connect to a 3" pipe from the black tank or some joint often referred to as a "collector", to which the standard 3" sewer hose connects.

but now that you mention it...I actually have a 3/4" sewer hose that I'd be happy to show you:

Seems that would be too easy to get confused with the fresh water supply when hooking up in the dark when pulling into a campsite late at night....eueeeew!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
I am glad to hear that some of you folks keep the gray tank valve open all the time while at full hookups. I am very new to RVing and was advised by a veteran RVer to keep it closed until ready to drain as 'sewer gas' (Christmas Vacation?) would backup from the campground sewer system and come in the trailer.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickleton
I am glad to hear that some of you folks keep the gray tank valve open all the time while at full hookups. I am very new to RVing and was advised by a veteran RVer to keep it closed until ready to drain as 'sewer gas' (Christmas Vacation?) would backup from the campground sewer system and come in the trailer.

Larry
Larry,
The traps under the sinks hold water and block any gases from backing into the trailer. That's why it is a good idea to run water into both sinks and the shower when you hook up. This will fill those traps. It works the same in your house also.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
OK, thanks for the info. Will make my next camping experience easier.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
you can also make an extra p-trap out of your slinky, if you use one of those slinky support thingies...just leave a little slack between the sewer connection and the support, so the slinky sits on the ground, and then raises up to the support, then continues down hill to the sewer.

I think this is what the old-timer was cautioning against; you shouldn't get sewer gas inside the trailer, due to the p-traps on the fixtures. however, your vent system will be venting the campground's sewer system, and that could produce some unpleasantness in the general vicinity outside your trailer. So either making your own make-shift trap out of the slinky, or keeping the grey tank valve closed will prevent that.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Thanks Chuck for the tip, will do on next trip.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Hi ,
I have a new problem in my 2005 22' Safari. Grey water, I'm guessing from the trap is splashing up oto my toilet/shower combo when I'm towing. I'm thinking the trap since it just happened twice when the grey tank was not even half full! Am I doing something wrong? Previously, I only had water when I forgot to empty the flush water out of the toilet. This is definitely not clean and just as definitely not black water.
Suggestions would be appreciated,
Brddog
Brddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We always close all the drains and put the plug in the shower drain before towing. That would prevent water splashing out of your sink trap.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote