Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Grey water tank nothing drains

When I pull the valve out for my grey water tank nothing drains out and I would think after using the sinks for a week at the canopener it would have backed into sinks w/ tank full but this did not happen. Is it possible that the PO combined the lines so that the grey water tank drains when the black water tank valve is opened and that the valve for grey water no longer does anything? I plan on running a lot of water into the sink and see if the tank gets full and backs into the sinks or shower to see what is going on. I would appreciate any help. I have a 75 Argosy24.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
When I pull the valve out for my grey water tank nothing drains out and I would think after using the sinks for a week at the canopener it would have backed into sinks w/ tank full but this did not happen. Is it possible that the PO combined the lines so that the grey water tank drains when the black water tank valve is opened and that the valve for grey water no longer does anything? I plan on running a lot of water into the sink and see if the tank gets full and backs into the sinks or shower to see what is going on. I would appreciate any help. I have a 75 Argosy24.
Your Argosy should have a 10 gallon grey tank, unless it has been retrofitted with a larger one. You can open the valves and run water into the drains to see if anything comes out, you don't need to max it out, unless you want to verify tank capacity. For that, after you make sure everything is working, just start dumping full gallon jugs of water into the tub with the valve closed, and stop when it back up, that would be your capacity.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
An OEM Argosy black water tank is above the floor. Lack of cabinetry access to this area would suggest you still have the OEM setup. I don't think they could practically combine the two tanks. Your feet are directly above the gray water tank when you're standing inside the bathroom door.

Black water pull is forward of the rear streetside drain, right? The gray water pull is in the bumper compartment. Better double check my '74 manual...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Could have leaked out on the trip home also...fill w/clean water and crawl underneath to look for drips...

Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Could have leaked out on the trip home also...fill w/clean water and crawl underneath to look for drips...

Bill
It wasn't leaking as they passed me on I-65
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Could have been dripping the entire weekend...a small drip would do it, and if it dissipated into the soil, may not have been noticed.

Just a thought...

Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
An OEM Argosy black water tank is above the floor. Lack of cabinetry access to this area would suggest you still have the OEM setup. I don't think they could practically combine the two tanks. Your feet are directly above the gray water tank when you're standing inside the bathroom door.

Black water pull is forward of the rear streetside drain, right? The gray water pull is in the bumper compartment. Better double check my '74 manual...
If this is the case then I had it backwards, the black water tank drains when I pull the one in the bumper compartment. Nothing drains when I pull the one street side in front of sewer outlett. I noticed no leaking anywhere but I had both valve handles pulled out when hooked into park sewer.

Heinlein
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Yeah we were trying to make a little time as the oldest had to be up early for school on Monday. We didn't break the speed limit though, don't need another ticket. I've decided in the future to keep it 5 under just to be safe and start out a little earlier instead of trying to make up time.

Heinlein
Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Your Argosy should have a 10 gallon grey tank, unless it has been retrofitted with a larger one. You can open the valves and run water into the drains to see if anything comes out, you don't need to max it out, unless you want to verify tank capacity. For that, after you make sure everything is working, just start dumping full gallon jugs of water into the tub with the valve closed, and stop when it back up, that would be your capacity.
I'll try this tomorrow if the rain has stopped. Thanks.

Heinlein
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
If this is the case then I had it backwards, the black water tank drains when I pull the one in the bumper compartment. Nothing drains when I pull the one street side in front of sewer outlett. I noticed no leaking anywhere but I had both valve handles pulled out when hooked into park sewer.
If you had them out at the rally then the tanks should have drained all the liquid out. Normally you leave them closed and dump them when necessary this gives enough flow to flush out the solids. It is possible that the stem of the gate valve is broke and only the stem is pulling out leaving the gate closed. Time for the old flashlight inspection, look in the discharge pipe and determine the position of the gate valves. Good luck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
If you had them out at the rally then the tanks should have drained all the liquid out. Normally you leave them closed and dump them when necessary this gives enough flow to flush out the solids. It is possible that the stem of the gate valve is broke and only the stem is pulling out leaving the gate closed. Time for the old flashlight inspection, look in the discharge pipe and determine the position of the gate valves. Good luck.
Yep, nxt time I will keep closed to build up some fluid to flush the solids as I had to do a lot of rinsing to get it all out here at home. Thanks for advice.

Heinlein
Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Yeah we were trying to make a little time as the oldest had to be up early for school on Monday. We didn't break the speed limit though, don't need another ticket. I've decided in the future to keep it 5 under just to be safe and start out a little earlier instead of trying to make up time.
In case you didn't see it, we almost had the chance to see the contents of several holding tanks when that SOB almost cut us off on I-10 in Mobile. It seems I announced the 'contents' on my black tank during his lane change...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
In case you didn't see it, we almost had the chance to see the contents of several holding tanks when that SOB almost cut us off on I-10 in Mobile. It seems I announced the 'contents' on my black tank during his lane change...
I wonder if that was the same one who's tire blew and took off the back lower side of his camper. One blown tire is gonna cost him some bucks. Still glad he got it pulled over without anyone getting hurt.

Heinlein