Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
I stand corrected.

Due the single tank units have a backflow or checkvalves in them to stop sewer gasses from filling the trailer when your traps slosh dry under way? I wonder.
The bacteria I was refering to was not the raw sewage in the pipes, but the microscopic stuff you can't see.
I would still keep the tanks seperate.

seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldencove View Post
I stand corrected.

Due the single tank units have a backflow or checkvalves in them to stop sewer gasses from filling the trailer when your traps slosh dry under way? I wonder.
The bacteria I was refering to was not the raw sewage in the pipes, but the microscopic stuff you can't see.
I would still keep the tanks seperate.
By the time any microscopic bacteria could crawl all the way up from any waste tank to any place you might conceivably be exposed to it, it would be very dead. It's not like having a cup of raw sewage sitting next to a fresh cup of coffee, after all. Sewer check valves are called traps.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
I found this by searching bacteria...starting at post #11
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...light=bacteria
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldencove View Post
I found this by searching bacteria...starting at post #11
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...light=bacteria
Since Airstream currently builds trailers with black and grey combined, and many Airstream and other RV's have bathroom sinks that drain directly into the black tank, and all those companies have much more money and design experience than a single individual that has never built one, I would take my chances with modern design. If there was really that much danger in combining them, in this age of liability and litigation, it would not be done.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our experience when boondocking is that we use a dishpan in the sink and dump the water in the toilet. If there were a way to directly choose which tank the kitchen sink could drain too, we wouldn't have to do that. I think there have been some trailers made with the bathroom sink draining into the black tank. All this means the grey tank won't fill up so fast and there's always more room in the black tank. Then you can bring extra fresh water with you and maybe get another day boondocking.

I have seen it said you can dump dishwater on the ground, but if it goes into the grey tank, you can't. Tenters dump dishwater on the ground all the time after all. If you are boondocking in the wilderness you could dump grey on the ground, but whether this is legal I don't know. I do know lots of people do it. At parks and campgrounds, if everyone dumped grey water on the ground you'd end up with a swamp and more soap and food bits than the environment could absorb.

If you are rebuilding the plumbing, you have many options available.

Back in the '50's people dumped everything on the ground. They'd dig a hole under the toilet and cover it when they left. Enough people stopping there and they'd run out of fresh holes. I'm glad we are beyond that.

Gene
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
As a short addendum to this thread (post #4), I thought I'd add in what I've since learned: I received the Thetford to Valterra adaptor and the temporary valve this morning and ran right out check if the combination would work. Not.

On 1967 rigs, there is very little space available between the sewer outlet and the opening underneath to connect the hose. It's ok with a regular hose as long as the connector is one of the curved ones, but the addition of the adaptor and temporary valve produces a space about an inch long to try to connect the hose. Not even shortening the adaptor/temp-valve (by cutting and glueing) would work out. THere just isn't enough space.

I'll keep the adaptor, but just put the temp valve into our stock of stuff to sell off here at the park. Somebody will come along with a very leaky system and pick it up.

Lynn
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There are 45° and 90° elbows available. Do you think one of those would help?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Nope, just not enough space in the 67 unless I completely reroute the outlet from the black tank. I've seen some somewhat later rigs in which they turn the outlet to pass through a whole in the frame located at the side of the storage box. I'm not really interested in that kind of engineering at the moment.

Lynn
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I ran into a similar space issue... I bought the adapter and an external Valterra valve because my black valve was leaking and keeping the ground clean at a dump station required a bucket under the cap and a quick attachment of the hose, etc. Icky stuff.

My Argosy is at North Dallas RV getting new dump valves at the moment. That was my eventual plan all along, but it's nice to pretend you can put off those bigger expenditures, until you find the parts won't fit. My neighbors probably wonder about the cursing fit that day... but then again, they know me, so they've probably stopped wondering.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote