Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Grey water tank install in Bambi II questions

I am installing the last piece of subfloor on my Bambi II rebuild. This piece will cover the frame cavity that will (I think) hold the gray water tank. I am good with the offering from VTS even though it is too deep for the Bambi II frame rails which are only 2 7/8"- not closer to 4" like the "big" trailers. I will make a drop frame to cover the bottom of the tank.

My question comes here. There is an angle iron brace welded in between each frame cross member all the way back the trailer. There is a hole drilled in each of these and an elevator bolt goes through the plywood and this hole to "support" the center of the floor.

Do I leave this brace intact? Leaving it intact will essentially lower my tank even more. I thought about notching each end and flattening it so it is no longer an angle anymore- but this will not be much better than removing it altogether. Leaving it in, I can still bolt the floor down and just have a lower tank.

I have gone round and round in my mind and can't decide what is best here. A picture of the underside of the Airstream and the offending brace is attached. Any thoughts or opinions? Is this brace needed?

Thanks! Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gray-tank-install.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	190640  
"The difference between vintage and retro is that vintage is honestly old and cool. Retro tries to be but isn't."
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote