Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Grey water tank for a 68 Globe Trotter

While I am replacing the rear floor and black water tank- Has anyone added a grey water tank to a Globe Trotter?

Thinking that this might be the time to do it. The obvious questions-

Where would it go?
What size?
How would I hook it in to the system?

Thanks and regards.

Bryan
Dallas, Texas
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
retrofit grey tank

This topic comes up on a regular basis, and since I was where you are about a year ago here are my thoughts. The problem with a retrofit grey water tank is the shower pan. It's at floor level. Notice your black water tank is at floor level also. To drain shower water into a grey water tank requires that it be fitted about five inches lower than the shower. Why? Because there needs to be a p-trap plumbed under the shower pan, and that plumbing takes up a minimum of five inches. If you replace the factory p-trap with standard hardware store fittings the p-trap will need about 7 inches. The space beneath the floor of your '68 AS is only about five inches between floor and bottom aluminum skin (that is between the framework of the chassis). So, the choice for placement of a grey tank puts it under the belly (beneath the chassis that is). Or, you can raise the shower pan up 5 inches and install the grey tank just under the plywood floor in the chassis.

An alternative is to have a small grey water tank just for the sinks. Since they sit high up on the counter tops there is plenty of room for plumbing the drain to a small tank that might be installed at floor level, perhaps under the bathroom sink cabinet (sitting next to the hot water heater perhaps). A Bladex waste valve would have to be installed between the grey water tank and the shower pan (otherwise the grey water will back up into the shower pan when the sewer outlet is capped).

Go look at some other brand of trailer. You'll notice that the showers are the step up type and have a dome over them to create head room, or they have a "basement" where there is room in or under the chassis to drop plumbing down to a holding tank.

I decided to stay with the original design and carry a "blue belly" with me for those stays where draining grey water onto the ground is prohibited (and enforced). It was simply the more expedient and cheaper way to go. My experience so far is that most times you'll be able to simply drain the grey water onto the ground, off into the brush. Most places out west need the water anyway. Some people get real upset about this practice, saying that nasty bacteria is drained onto the soil that can then be ingested by their children when they eat dirt or mud pies or whatever (I'm joking - a little). So, do use some consideration and try to extend your grey hose off into the weeds or brush where no-one is likely to sit, walk, or roll around.

Forrest

Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Blue Belly?

Sorry, I forgot to explain what "Blue Belly" is. It is any of a number of brands of portable waste transporters or holding tanks. Usually they are blue in color and so the nick name. One brand name is Barker Tote-Along and another is Tote-N-Stor. Both brands have tanks with handles, wheels and drain fittings. Some of the larger sizes even have towing attachments. Prices run from about $40 to $150.

Forrest
Old 06-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Picture worth 1,000 words (sometimes)

This is a photo of the underside of the plywood flooring showing the drain work prior to the installation of new insulation and aluminum skin for the pan. I had to shorten each of the parts of the p-trap to make it all fit between floor and pan. But, it alls works good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20010702_0001.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2217  
Old 06-26-2003, 05:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi Forrest-

Thank you for the reply and your time! You answered my question. I am going to stick with the separate " blue belly" tank. So much easier. Probably to keep everything nice and clean many showers will be at those provided by the campground anyway.

I am envious of the nice clean picture you attached, as last night I took the black water tank out and what was left of the metal box that holds it in. Wow, what an absolute mess!
She was shipped from her home in Cleveland and now lives in Dallas- I know she is so much happier with regard to the drier climate! Things can finally dry out.

I bought the trailer on ebay and based on my research, got VERY lucky.The skin is perfect, the interior is 100% original and everything inside works. The flaw was a leaking tank that created a mess in the back. (what else is new).

Thank you again for your response. Have a good day!

Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Good luck!

Bryan,

Other than the black water tank it sounds like you've got yourself a winner. Good for you! I'm envious. I had to replace all plumbing - fresh water lines, drains and sewer.

Good luck and enjoy your "new" AS.

Forrest