Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2002, 03:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

grey water tank BIG question

Ok. We have finally found a trailer we're <<<<<<that close to being in love with!>>>>>> here's the kicker. We're told it has NO grey water tank, which I only just this moment came to understand means there's no teeth brushing, showering, washing dishes without being hooked up somewhere!!

I must admit I"m not a big "black-top, hook-it-up, campers world" kind of person....I like more natural settings and like to have that option but spoiled enough to want a hot bath along the way without having to be hooked up all the time.

What are the options here?

I did read a post about getting a blue tank but after a search on the net I can't even find a site that lists such a thing and have no clue how much they are and how difficult, or uncomfortable they would be to use. This is new territory for us. We're about to go full-time into this so I would LOVE some insight, advice, opinions, feelings...you name it I'm open!

Should we avoid purchasing this beautiful vintage trailer if it doesn't have a grey water tank? Any thoughts....
escapeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 03:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

OH! one more thing

This trailer squeezes under our vehicles towing capacity at 27' - well maybe a little than squeezes - it's acceptable....would adding a grey water tank be advisable?

Is it extremely difficult? expensive? Would it be worth getting the trailer without grey tank?

Thanks so much for any responses in advance
Old 08-18-2002, 05:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Any of the rv stores will have the "blue" tanks (a wheeled sits on the ground version of the gray tank). Mobile mart has a pretty good price. If you don't intend to go to parks with hook-ups, you will have to get it to somewhere to dump it, a couple of smaller ones may be easier. You do learn to conserve water, for weekends and short trips this is very possible to do, I did it for years with 2 young girls.

All-rite is a source for custom tanks. It would be a lot of work to install one, but if you really love this trailer it is pretty good sized and would be a great addition.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Can you explain ??

John, thanks for your post - what I still don't understand when you say you can conserve water without a grey tank...what do you mean? How can I conserve water if I can't even use anything but the toilet? There isn't anything to conserve.

Maybe I'm still confused here. Can the sink/dishes/shower/bathroom sink go into the black tank? If they can't then if the trailer isn't on hookups it appears you can't use those things in the trailer at all......am I correct in that?

Can you brush your teeth? Can you bird bath at least knowing it is going into the black tank or can you simply not use anything but the toilet?

I'm green with this - learning fast - but still green so please detail your answer.

So appreciated,
Andrea
Old 08-18-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Everything but the toilet is gray water, so you do need a 'blue' tank for a bird bath, to brush your teeth, etc.

Clarification on conservation-

I was referring to having to dump the gray/blue tanks, refill the fresh. When you brush your teeth at home, you turn the water on, let it run. When camping get the brush damp, shut the water off. Same for showers, etc. The fresh water goes fast, just has to be dumped. You quickly learn to make it through with suprisingly little fresh water, won't have to go out in the middle of the weekend to refill and dump. The blue tanks are not that bad of a system; not as convenient as a gray tank, but if the trailer is in good shape and a good price I would not let this deter me. You just have a little more hassle with the gray water.

John
Old 08-18-2002, 04:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

How much to...

HOw much do you think it would cost to put a gray tank in this trailer? 27 ft. Overlander.

Do you think it would be worth it?
Old 08-18-2002, 04:23 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Andrea,
My 71 Tradewind has an added on grey water tank. I have no clue how big it is, but it holds plenty of waste water to keep up with the black tank.
I am guessing it is 30 Gal or so.
It is mounted between the frame right behind the rear axle. The tanks are available in hundreds of sizes and shapes. Usually they are very flat, but long and wide, sort of like a small mattress. This way they go between the frame sections. I am sure that a competent RV Shop can install one for you, together with the necessary plumbing and dump valves etc. It all makes sense once you see it.
I have to tell you that we don't use it that much. Very many parks and campgrounds allow you to drain the grey water in the ground, because it is not a hazardous substance, and tent campers essentially do the same thing.
When you tent camp and wash your dishes, the waste water goes in a bush, right?
Anyways, I suggest taking the additional expense over letting an otherwise great trailer go to someone else. Good Luck.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I agree with Uwe. If it is a good trailer grab it, get a blue tank to start. The only difference is loading it up before you leave. Later you can have a gray tank installed if the blue tank is too much hassle.

John
Old 08-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I also have a 1971 25" Rear Bath model. It did not come with a grey water tank. We do mostly camping and NOT RV Parks, usually for at least a week or more at a time. At the rate my wife and kids use the water, it makes no sense for me to have a grey tank installed (I would fill it too fast). I have a 15 gallon blue rolling tank that I pretty much empty every day and a 10 gallon for a backup! The size (15 gallon) is about as big as I can go since it will weigh 130 lbs when full. We store them in the bathtub (or in the truck bed) when on the road. I've had the black water tank out and fitting a grey up in there would cost plenty with all the structure mods, plumbing changes and such. To me the blue tank is easy and relatively cheap, plus when it's full I don't have to pull up camp to empty it. Cheers!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

I'm confused. Are you telling me that Airstream made a 25' trailer with a bathroom but no Grey water tank? That seems odd to me. The tanks themselves aren't that expensive, just a matter of finding someone who can find a spot for it and run the drain to it. I don't think we're talking big bucks or an engineer to make it happen. I would prefer the tank over wheeling the blue tank around.....but than again I'm kind of a city-slicker.....

Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Ken,

Most Airstream trailers before 74 had no grey tanks at all. I had a 74 Overlander that had a 10 gallon grey.

The reason for the lack of grey tanks was due to the fact that most people have always drained their grey water on the ground, not in a sewer. The EPA started requiring the capture of grey water starting in the mid 70's.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 09:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
kzener40 wrote:

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you telling me that Airstream made a 25' trailer with a bathroom but no Grey water tank?
The BLACK tank is for sewer (ie. toilet). I believe that since the early 60's (at least, maybe 50's) the trailers all had BLACK tanks for sewer. The GREY tank is for dishwater & showers, etc. and GREY water ran onto the ground or into "gopher holes". It wasn't until 73/74 that GREY tanks were added. Alot of the early trailers (pre-195-something?) they didn't have either BLACK or GREY tanks and "gopher holes" were utilized for both.

Hopefully this clears things up...if anybody knows more exact dates...please feel free to correct me ~

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:27 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

kzener40 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think we're talking big bucks or an engineer to make it happen.
Actually I am an engineer! I've had my whole black system out so I know what's up there. It can be done, but to do it correctly and have all the plumbing work like the newer trailers (all into a single outlet), have suitable structure to hold the weight (water weighs 8.4 lbs/gal), and without destroying the integrity of the belly pan is not something for any shop. Cheers!
Old 08-22-2002, 02:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Quote for grey tank so far

Glad to see you guys posting about this - it helps me put this in perspective.

I have called a few shops that say they can handle the job and are reputable shops here in Portland. I am being told that the tank will probably have to be custom made and will run about $300 and the install with plumbing and everything about $500 for a cost between 800 - 900.

That is what I've learned thus far. For the convenience of it I am thinking it is the way to go, even with the cost.

Anyone know any more than that I would love to hear it!

Andrea
Old 09-02-2002, 09:15 PM   #15
Rob
2 Rivet Member

I don't know if you would be interested but this weekend I'll be removing one of two gray water tanks that at some point were added under my 72 tradewind.

Whoever did the install cut into the frame for the outlet. So i'll be doing some welding and remounting just one of the tanks.

Both tanks appear to be the same size and I can't imagine needing both. Besides I don't like the idea of that much weight so far back on the frame (w/ full tanks).

The cost would be for shipping only. And of course I'll clean it up.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:10 AM   #16

I recently bought a 1965 26' Overlander which came w/o a water tank. I don't know the dimensions but a diagram shows that it was positioned at the front end of the trailer,under a couch (which is also missing). The overall width of the trailer is 96", if that tank is say 84" or less and noone else has dibs on it, I could put it to use. I will e-mail my address to you, if it's still available. Thanks, John Taranto
John Taranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:49 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
John and Rob,

Your trailer models are of two different vintages and as such the water tanks are completely diffrent. In 65 the tank was a metal tank that was pressurized and it was installed behind/below the fron couch/dinette. The water tank in the 70's model in mounted between the frame rails and over the axels. I do not think that it would fit.

IF you are saying you want a grey/black tank that is a completely diffrent issue. You may have to build a new pan to hold the tank. I know that somone out there has done this recently and posted the pictures and directions for all of us to see.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 09-04-2002, 08:19 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

I removed the small water tank in my 15' bubble and had planned to put one under the bed in the back end along with a small grey tank. Am I asking for problems by putting the two tanks on the back end of the trailer? Will it create the dreadful sag? Any recommendations on size of tanks I could get away with without creating too much weight problems. There's plenty of room that will be available for the two small tanks when I rebuild the bed and that just seemed like the logical location. But maybe that's not the best spot for it.

Ken
Old 09-04-2002, 08:36 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I don't think you will need to worry about the dreadful sag, but I think the weight dynamic of having the tanks back there and full could cause towing problems. Water weighs 8.34 LBS per gallon. Even a 25 gallon tank is over 200 LBS. I have to assume the original design was to help balance the trailer. Unless you have modified the running gear I would attemt to do the same with regard to balance. Proper towing is a combination of axle weight and tounge weight. I would keep this in mind as you redo the interior. If you want to put the tanks in the rear you can, but I would put enough weight forward of the axle to balance it out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Good advice. I don't have much experience when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks
Ken