Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Grey water tank

Just wondering if anyone has ever installed a grey water tank ? We have a '67 safari and are wondering if we should put one in and if so where should we put it?

markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We did and so have many others. If you check out our thread: Little Girl Refurb, you will see Chris made ours. Installing is more specific to the trailer size and configuration. Since we have a 31ft I can't really advise you on that, but maybe someone else with experience in your size trailer will chime in.
You could also use a Blue Boy to catch your grey water. Definitely much cheaper and easier than installing a grey tank. Good Luck!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
While I have not done it yet, here is a link to what I am planning Gray Water Tank scroll down to reviews to see photos of installation in a 22' Safari.
David & Diana
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Installing a grey water tank is one of those activities that many vintage owners undertake at some point, just to get up to modern standards. If you do the majority of your camping with full hookups, then there is no need to have one, and you can probably get by with a blue-boy when you need to.

For your trailer, you would want the tank behind, and as close to, the axle as possible. There are many threads about installing grey water tanks, how to suspend them, what size, what supplier, etc., just do a search. Be warned, that it is no simple undertaking. If you haven't replaced your axle, then you might want to try that first.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Mark, I am putting a grey tank into my '67 Safari. It ain't easy. Well, it could be easy if you want only 20 gal capacity but if you want more, it ain't easy.

I'm adding a 40 gal. grey tank plus hooking up with the existing black tank into a macerator. Adding piping pitched at 1/4" per foot further complicates things.

You have to cut out a cross-beam and make it deeper. And you have to lower your belly pan 2" below your existing rear belly pan (the same depth as your axle).

Did I say it ain't easy? But it's not hard, you just have to figure things out. I actually think it's kind of fun.

If you want to wait a month or two I'll have it done and pictures I can send you.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Have a look at the following thread--similar topic:

Post #8 shows my 21' Globetrotter frame upside down with two Vintage Trailer Supply tanks installed in the two bays behind the axle. Yes, it is WAY easier to do this job with the frame upside down, but still requires a lot of planning.

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote