Old 08-26-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2001 27' Safari
Springfield , Virginia
Grey water deodorizer fluid needed

Does anybody have a home recipe for grey water tank deodorant? I know that there are commercial brews, such as Thetford's Grey Water Odor Control, but they are pricey. Surely someone out there has figured out how to make a home brew at a fraction of the cost that does the same job!

lbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
you should not need any artificial additions to either your gray or black tanks.

Make sure the tank vents are operating properly.

Don't let the tanks sit partially full for more than a few days.

Dump and rinse thoroughly.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Second the motion

you should not need any artificial additions to either your gray or black tanks.
I have ceased using chemicals in either my black or gray tank and I have never had an odor problem. The chemicals I have are left over from the recirculating toilet in my prior SOB trailer; that is a syatem that needs lots of chemicals.

My trailer is in a storage lot and I often use the toilet (liquid) several times between trips. Even with sitting used for a week, I have never had an odor except once when the vent fan was on, the door was closed, and TP had wadded up so that the dump valve didn't close completely.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You could probably...

...use a little Clorox, but don't let it sit more than 20 minutes or so. Rinse it out well....
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Pine Sol

I usually pour a little Pine Sol in the pea traps to keep any souring of the water in the traps from stinking up the joint....and it works fine.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Dallas , Texas
Chemicals vs. Enzymes

We use RV Trine. Instead of chemical based, it has enzymes that work on the waste in the tanks. It's similar to the enzymes we put down the septic tank.

We don't normally use it in the grey tank. But if the grey water won't be drained right away, I pour a packet down the drains. It reduces the odor without damaging the tank.

I'd be very uncomfortable putting strong bleach in the tank. It may dry out seals.

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote