Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Grey water comes out when I take the hose cap off...normal?

It happens every time I use the AS. To be more specific, I usually get a little grey water that comes out when I take the cap off...where you hook up your dump hose... Most of the time it's just a little like a half cup of fluid, yesterday at the dump station a little more than a cup full poured out, when it stopped in a second or two then I hooked up my dump hose.. I'm wondering if this is normal for a little fluid to come out before you hook up to dump? Thanks...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
You might have a slow leek in you grey water valve.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3campers View Post
... I'm wondering if this is normal for a little fluid to come out before you hook up to dump? Thanks...
It's not normal... But as rubber ages, it looses its ability to make a good seal. Be happy it's not the BW that's seeping, yet. Your profile indicates your trailer is pressing 30 years old, so maybe it's expected.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Go to Amazon or Camping World and buy a Valterra twist-on dump valve. Manufacturer: Valterra Products Llc
Mfg Part #: T58
It costs about $25.

"Just twist a valve onto your leaky, broken sewer valve.
Eliminates messy valve replacement and expensive service. Fits and accepts standard bayonet fittings. Operates like regular valve and rotates to most convenient position."
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You can put a little lubricating oil down the drains (Grey and black) once in awhile to help lubricate the rubber seals and retard them from drying out.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...and if all else fails, there will be the inevitable need to replace that blade valve. It is not difficult to do and the parts are readily available. You DEFINITELY want to make sure your tank is completely, totally, absolutely empty. (Important for the gray tank....MANDATORY for the black...!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Depending on the configuration of where the dump is vs the valve you, might be able to use a little spray pam to get some lubricant onto the rubber seals. Rubber has a tendency to dry out over 30 years.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileus View Post
Go to Amazon or Camping World and buy a Valterra twist-on dump valve. Manufacturer: Valterra Products Llc
Mfg Part #: T58
It costs about $25.

"Just twist a valve onto your leaky, broken sewer valve.
Eliminates messy valve replacement and expensive service. Fits and accepts standard bayonet fittings. Operates like regular valve and rotates to most convenient position."
I did the same thing on my 69 for a couple of years. The grey water used to be dumped straight into the ground. I guess back in the 1960s they did not mind that. It's the cheapest short term fix.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't get a half cup but I do get a few drops - maybe a teaspoon at max...I have to imagine a few drops/ounces is normal if for non other reason than some amount just doesn't make it all the way out and as you drive it around, it finds it way closer to the cap.

I'm hoping that's not wishful thinking! 8-o
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I carry a small bucket. Just in case there is a bit of anything in the pipes that didn't completely drain out.
We just finished painting the living room in the house. The ceiling paint came in a 2 gallon container. It works great and fits under the sewer pipe outlet.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
All great information...thanks...I really like that twist on valve thingy...have another trip soon, will watch to see how much comes out...may have to go shopping at Amazon! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
This is happening a little on my 2008 Classic 25fb from both tanks. Looks like a pain to replace the valves. I'll try a little oil down the drains but with oil lighter than water won't it float on any residue water in the valve area? I've got a couple of gallons in my empty black tank right now. I guess I need to completely empty the tank to try this procedure. Could cold temperatures cause this issue. I put RV antifreeze down the toilet when I winterize.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think that it's also possible that the valve in the grey tank could become difficult to close fully due to sediment gathering in it over the years. I know mine is very tough to close.

I haven't tried to clean it out, so I can't say if it wil be tough to do or not. I also think the black tank valve is beginning to have the same problem.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can buy a bottle of seal lube at the RV store of your choice.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Looked at the Valterra T58 at the local dealer. Looks too big to fit on my '13 Sport 22. Anyone have one of these on who could attach a picture?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You can buy a bottle of seal lube at the RV store of your choice.

Perry

Perry,

Have you had good luck with that product? I have often wondered about it. I have heard you can put a little inexpensive cooking oil into the tanks too in order to lubricate the slide valve & seal - wonder if it is just as effective.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Goggle "Valterra T58". Worked like a charm on my '85 Sovereign. Slow leak in the gray valve. This fix, in place of replacing the whole valve which means opening up more than I want too.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I just bought the entire Valterra assembly where you replace everything. Did that to mine and she's dry as a bone.

That being said, you want to "exercise" the valves a little when you drain it. Especially the black valve. Drain it out good, but then open the gray and run the black in and out a time or two. The idea is to not get any particulates trapped in the guideway.

The way these valves work is that you basically have a three sided slot that is rubber faced. The valve is nothing more than a plate that slides in and out of this three sided slot (top, bottom, and back, with the face open toward you to pull it out). If you get junk in that slot, it will mess up the water tight seal. So I always empty the black tank first. When it's good and done (I have a clear adapter so I can see if it's done), I then drain the gray and work the black valve a couple of times. Same thing with the gray, I'll work it in and out a few times as it's getting close to done.

It's worked well so far. But it sounds like your seal isn't sealing (bad pun I know....)

Best of luck
Old 05-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Goggle "Valterra T58". Worked like a charm on my '85 Sovereign. Slow leak in the gray valve. This fix, in place of replacing the whole valve which means opening up more than I want too.
I just picked one of those up last winter when in Florida. Main reason I put it on is that sometimes I have the problem of a cup or so of gray water pouring out when I remove the cap. Could be due to the gray valve not closing completely, or maybe just residual gray water in the piping + different slope at the next RV site.

This way, I only pull the added third valve after we have the drain hose hooked up at our new site so no surprises when removing the cap!

Seems to work fine. I was a bit concerned about the added valve sticking out too much, especially asmI also had to add the Thetford to Valterra adapter which adds another inch or so, but it seems ok.

I picked up the Valterra T58 at a Camping World store.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I just picked one of those up last winter when in Florida. Main reason I put it on is that sometimes I have the problem of a cup or so of gray water pouring out when I remove the cap. Could be due to the gray valve not closing completely, or maybe just residual gray water in the piping + different slope at the next RV site.

This way, I only pull the added third valve after we have the drain hose hooked up at our new site so no surprises when removing the cap!

Seems to work fine. I was a bit concerned about the added valve sticking out too much, especially asmI also had to add the Thetford to Valterra adapter which adds another inch or so, but it seems ok.

I picked up the Valterra T58 at a Camping World store.

Brian.

Great info. So you had to add an adapter to make it fit and clear everything else in its way? If you get a chance to take a pic that would be great. Thanks.
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote