Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Grey water

The grey water in my globe trotter runs directly on the ground , no storage tank .This will be fine if I 'm hooked up to a septic system .What do you do when that is not an option beside the obvious
I'm just starting a restoration Can you modify the system to run into the black water tank ?Install a separate holding tank or just let it run ?
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the FORUMS crowldawg. Most public and private parks, along with many state laws prohibit the dumping of waste water onto the ground.
I use a " blueboy " portable waste holding tank. The tank is available at most camping supply centers.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The only problem I see with grey water on the ground is there are always food scraps along with the water. Opinions aside I use a blue boy when in a site where there may be objections.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowldawg
The grey water in my globe trotter runs directly on the ground , no storage tank .This will be fine if I 'm hooked up to a septic system .What do you do when that is not an option beside the obvious
I'm just starting a restoration Can you modify the system to run into the black water tank ?Install a separate holding tank or just let it run ?
As mentioned, you will want to get a blue tote to drain into. You could route the grey into the black, but you dont want to. One problem is that black tanks of that era were small in size and you would fill it pretty quicky. Also, if you accidently over filled the black tank it would back up into your shower with you ICK! Several people here have post-fitted grey tanks into the frame of their trailers with good results- do a search and you will find some good threads. The grey tank additon is probally the best bet. One was added to my trade wind, one nice thing about this is that if you are on the road and pull over for lunch, or maybe to overnight in a parking lot, you can use your water system. That is a nice thing, believe me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Relax and enjoy it

I too use a Blue Boy where needed. Empty it out every day and watch your water usage. CAUTION!!! I learned the hard way about a full Blue Boy and a closed overflow at the tank......My shower floor showed the flood first. Where appropriate, I use a Valtera cap with a hose attachment and a length of dedicated hose to take the grey water away...far away... from the site of activity. Then I don't fret about the lack of a grey water tank.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Grey tanks were not standard until 1973 so many vintage owners are in the same boat.

Blue totes work well = $
Retro-fit grey tank works better = $$$ especially if you hire it out

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote