Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Grey Tank (Kitchen Sink) Starting to Stink

Any thoughts on how to make this smell go away? Bleach? Might just be our P trap but gotta do something about it before it gets out of hand.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
In our trailer the smell was caused by a defective studor vent under the sink. Replaced that and everything was good.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Grey water tanks can grow some funky stuff, especially in the heat of the summer. I use the same enzymatic cleaner that I put in my black water and that takes care of it.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Check the vent valve in the line from the sink to the tank. It's probably stuck and letting gasses into the cabin.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vent valve? Where's it? Or what's it look like?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Look under the sink, back against the wall. Mine is a black conical shaped fitting that looks like an oversize pipe cap. It has a valve in it that is supposed to let air in, but not out. That, however wasn't my smell problem. Road vibration had loosened all the fittings on the sink drains. When the gray tank gets full somehow it puts back pressure on the sink P-traps and they hold more water than they should. The loose fittings leaked just enough water under the sink to make it smelly. I drained the tank and tightened up the fittings (after taking it all apart expecting to find a stopped up trap - I didn't) and the smell went away.

I use the "GEO Method". My PO's let the black tank get pretty crudded up. It's getting better, but the sensors still aren't right.

RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method – Wheeling It

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Be careful using bleach. While it will work, it can make some horrific smelling and dangerous fumes when contacting organic stuff. Use lots of ventilation and thorough rinsing.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When I put a little pine sol in water to clean, I always wipe the kitchen sink out well and slosh a little of this down the drain.

When I use a little diluted bleach to clean the bathroom, I pour a bit of this solution down the drain.

Not at the same time.

Keeps everything smelling "neutral".

Maggie
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Geo Method.
http://Thegeomethod.blogspot.com/
Mix 1 cup Calgon, 1 cup dish washing soap and 1 cup bleach in 1 gallon of water. Poor equal parts down each sink and the shower drain. Make sure that water remains in the drain traps.

This can be used in both black and gray tank. I have been experimenting with this for the past month without the use of any additional septic or holding tank chemicals. So far no odors.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Nokomis , Florida
Smelly gray water tank.

Rv Travel had a good suggestion for smelly tanks. 1/2 cup Borax to 1/4 cup Calgon Water Softner. I haven't tried it, but sound like it might work?
rbowen1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I too use a black tank "tab" a couple of time a year in the grey tank and that seems to prevent any smell issues.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We have the same issue with our Bambi 16 which only has a black tank. Anyone know if the above fixes apply to the Bambi?
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Maggie and Michael are on the right track. For the past 15 years, the only tank chemicals we have used are Pine Sol and Cascade. Before departure and every time we dump the Grey Tank, we pour Pine Sol into each of the shower, sink and wash basin traps. Pour a little in the toilet as well. On the last day out, before departure, we send about a 1/2 cup of Cascade dishwasher detergent into each tank. When we get home we dump both tanks. Never had a smell. Oh -- and our sensors seem to work correctly.

BTW - tanks take a lot longer to empty than you (or I, at least) imagined. Invest in one of the clear elbow attachments for your sewer line. By watching the clear section, you can tell when you've gotten all the crud and paper out of the black tank. I dump, then run the sewer sweep for about 5 minutes, then dump again. I find it usually takes 3 cycles to really empty the tank. If you have a teenager along, count on 5 cycles (ask me how I know).
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
First thing is to not let organic material into the holding tank.
Can't avoid doing this totally, but make sure you have a fine screen strainer in the drain hole of your sinks. This helps quite a bit. Also, when connected to sewer, leave grey water tank valve open most of the time so waste water runs to sewer.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
We have the same issue with our Bambi 16 which only has a black tank. Anyone know if the above fixes apply to the Bambi?
If your black tank is offloading odors, and you are using chemicals in there, may be that you need some pressurized water to remove buildup.

Some carry a separate hose, and one of those wand things that are made for such purposes.

Not having space for an extra hose, we always just ran the hose at a dump station into the toilet and flushed/cleaned it out that way.

Maggie
Old 06-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
All the above on checking the vents, and baking soda down the drain works great to kill the odors.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Thanks for the advice. I'm leery about what chemicals I put down the drains and are using completely biodegradable soaps. (Supposedly) We do this because we are parked for an extended stay (two months) without a sewer hookup.

We are hanging onto the black tank for now and plan to dump tomorrow into a portable tank to haul of to the dump station. The grey tank we hold on to for a while then let drain off to a no walking area.

Some of our problem may be just that... hanging onto the grey stuff until the tank is mostly full. Normally we'd have sewer and leave the valve open. Will try draining more frequently and seeing if that's a start.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

1997 25' Safari
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I also have a 25' 1997 Safari. Does the gray water tank have a vent pipe through the roof as does the black water tank? It doesn't appear to, but could conceivably share the black water vent. Opinions appreciated.
Odduck
odduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I believe mine does... 2015 model though. It has two of those little white stacks on the top. One over where the black vent goes through the bathroom and one I assume next to the shower, so opposite side for grey. Our problem was resolved when we stopped putting ANY sort of food waste down the kitchen sink and keeping the grey outflow valve open.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If the gray tank stinks inside, the contents will stink wherever you dump them. Why not take the gray water to the dump station also? If you are in a park you may get in trouble just dumping gray water anywhere. Like a fine or dismissal from your campsite.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote