Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Grey tank install in the smaller A/S

My 65 Caravel doesn't have a grey tank installed - PO just let the grey water flow out the bottom of the trailer. For a lot of reasons I'm not willing to do that and had planned to use a 20-22 gallon tote. But it's currently in the shop anyway for a variety of things, list keeps getting longer and longer....and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and have a grey tank installed while it's there.
Can anybody with a Caravel or other similar size A/S give me an idea of what a reasonable charge would be for this and exactly where the tank could go?
Thanks!
Roxanna
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There is nothing odd here with a 1965 Caravel not having a grey tank - they did not become standard until '73-'74. All trailers before then let grey run on the ground - it was normal. If you are at a full-hookup campground, the grey runs into the sewer connection - no problem.

Today, grey on the ground is okay in some places, but not others. In places where it isn't most people use a blue tote to capture grey water and dispose of it in an acceptable manner.

Adding a grey tank is not necessary if a blue tote is used...keep in mind "grey water" is just wash water from the kitchen sink and shower - not your toilet. We use a tote when not hooked-up or in an area where grey on the ground is not allowed, it really isn't a big deal - but you have to decide that on your own.

The issues to deal with when adding a grey tank include:

1) finding the room for it inside the frame so it isn't hanging down too low
2) dealing with the added weight of a full tank - may take away for inside "stuff" you can carry
3) plumbing it in to capture your grey water without impeeding the flow of your black tank
4) added stress on an already light-weight axle/spindle - if yours hasn't been changed yet, I definately would if you are adding a grey tank (do a search on "1965 Caravel spindle or axle")

Each era and model is slightly different with their connections and fittings - so you really need to understand how yours work before you get into it. It can be done, but it is not just a simple bolt on installation without some ramifications.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Thanks for that info.
I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has a Caravel or similar and has installed the tank to find out where it can be installed without having to move other systems and what costs would be reasonable. I know it can be done, just looking for details on the how, where, how much, etc.
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Yes there are people here on forums who have done this. I have read about it someplace. Just trying to think of where. I will look around or maybe they will see this thread before I find it..Mine does not have one, I use a 25 gal. Tote when I or my daughter use it.. Mine does have a new axel as of 7-07. Ralph
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Banks , Oregon
Hi Krikles,

I had the same question a while back. If you search the forums for "grey water tank," I think you'll find some threads on installing them. There is also info on how to let grey water out into a self-dug hole and using a 'neutralizing agent' to protect the groud water. As for my Safari, I think I'm just going to buy a 20-some gallon grey, greywater tote to haul around. I think the majority of our camping will be in parks where their are sewage hookups. Or, we'll be boondocking and taking care of the grey the good ol' fashioned way. When I got to thinking about the largest grey tank I could possibly install (20-25 gallons), I realized that it could fill up pretty fast. Then, I'd have to move my trailer to empty it. With a portable tank you can just attach it to your tow vehicle (TV) and drive it to the nearest dumping station in the campground. One could also load it into their AS if need be. Hope this helps.

Aaron
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up "Honey Hole" vs Gray Tank

We were also considering adding a tank to our "63" Safari, but after realizing how difficult it would be thought better of it. In 15 years of use we never had a problem at most campgrounds, although most were in the Adirondack's and we were Boondock'n. The state grounds here in N.Y. just required a large honey hole that we lined with several layers of cheese cloth and discarded or burned when we broke camp. It was important not to let too much out at once, and to replace all the fill before leaving. Good luck and Keep Stream'n
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N%20IN%20THE%20ADIRONDACKS%201.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	43388