Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Grey tank for rear bath '66 TW.

This is directed to those that have done this installation. I plan to install a grey tank in my '66 Trade Wind. Tank location isn't a problem....behind the tandem axles between the floor and belly skin. I can plumb the galley sink into the top of the tank and redirect the vent. My problems are routing the rear bath drain to the tank. We have a twin bed model so the plumbing can hide under them on the curb side as does the galley drain is now on the street side. However, the shower drain is at floor level. Have any of you that have done this had problem getting a down slope to the top of the new tank? Also the drain to the dump valve will have to circumvent the black tank and Tee into the dump from the black tank. I don't want 2 dump valves...separate for the BT and Grey. Of course the BT will retain it's own dump valve.

Thanks, Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
This is directed to those that have done this installation. I plan to install a grey tank in my '66 Trade Wind. Tank location isn't a problem....behind the tandem axles between the floor and belly skin. I can plumb the galley sink into the top of the tank and redirect the vent. My problems are routing the rear bath drain to the tank. We have a twin bed model so the plumbing can hide under them on the curb side as does the galley drain is now on the street side. However, the shower drain is at floor level. Have any of you that have done this had problem getting a down slope to the top of the new tank? Also the drain to the dump valve will have to circumvent the black tank and Tee into the dump from the black tank. I don't want 2 dump valves...separate for the BT and Grey. Of course the BT will retain it's own dump valve.

Thanks, Neil
It appears as if somehow the grey tank drain will have to be along the outside of the street side frame to get past the black tank then elbow my black tank drain through the storage tray at the bumper an Tee into the grey drain. This would move my main dump valve to the rear street side corner. Of course I would have to retain the BT valve where it is currently. How does that sound? I can't think of another way around the black tank. Any imput?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why are you opposed to 2 dump valves? The normal dump procedure is to dump the black tank first then the grey in order to help flush the black remnants from the hose. If your gray tank is below the floor and the shower drain is at floor level the grey water will back into the shower drain when the tank is full. I don't think you want black water backing into the shower.
Are you saying you will combine the grey and black water pipes ahead of the dump valve?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Hi Neil

We did a total rebuild of our 1965 Tradewind last year. We rearanged the floor plan to a rear bed mid bath, I installed two 25 gallon tanks. The black tank I placed between the axles and the gray tank two frame bays back and it all works well. We also ran heat ducts to each tank which worked well when we were at the North rim of the Grand Canyon this fall in 16 degree weather. These pics are of the framework to box in the tanks to insulate and sheet metal closed. At the bottom of this reply is our Photo bucket that has the complete rebuild with some pics of the tanks and tank frame work.
One thing to note measure the spicific frame bay that you intend to put the tank because they very in width by a couple of inch's.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TW After 2011 001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	150734   Click image for larger version

Name:	TW After 2011 005.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	150735  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TW After 2011 055.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	150736   Click image for larger version

Name:	TW After 2011 054.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	150737  

2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatawa View Post
Hi Neil

We did a total rebuild of our 1965 Tradewind last year. We rearanged the floor plan to a rear bed mid bath, I installed two 25 gallon tanks. The black tank I placed between the axles and the gray tank two frame bays back and it all works well. We also ran heat ducts to each tank which worked well when we were at the North rim of the Grand Canyon this fall in 16 degree weather. These pics are of the framework to box in the tanks to insulate and sheet metal closed. At the bottom of this reply is our Photo bucket that has the complete rebuild with some pics of the tanks and tank frame work.
One thing to note measure the spicific frame bay that you intend to put the tank because they very in width by a couple of inch's.

Dave
Where did you get your tanks?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
I got our tanks through Plastic-Mart.com. This is a 25 Gal tank No# 17H on their list. I did alot of looking at other tank manufactures and this company fit the frame bays the best and had a flange on them which helped in making a frame work to hang them in place.. I got both tanks and our water tank from them.

Dave
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatawa View Post
I got our tanks through Plastic-Mart.com. This is a 25 Gal tank No# 17H on their list. I did alot of looking at other tank manufactures and this company fit the frame bays the best and had a flange on them which helped in making a frame work to hang them in place.. I got both tanks and our water tank from them.

Dave
I'm looking at the 16 gal tank from Vintage Trailer Supply. The 2 of us dry camp about half the time and grey water disposal hasn't been an issue yet. I'm sure it will though sometime. A 'blue tank' saves us now. We'll still take that blue tank as the black is only 11 gals. Using campground facilities 1/2 the time extends our 'gotta dump' time to 5-6 days. I am curious about the tank hanging low like that. Our convertible TV rides low so if it's underside drags it's a caution about our trailer. New axles on the trailer has increased it's height though. Thanks for your imput. I shall check out your source.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I had some issues as well trying to figure it all out. spent a lot of time measuring under the trailer before I put the belly pans back on. I am converting from a aft bath to a curbside and adding gray tanks. The black tank will be on top of the floor with the remote cable dump valve right under the floor with the main dump line routed om the curbside until the last frame bay and then to the streetside rear corner. The grey tanks are 3 each 11 gal tanks to be mounted off center to the street side for clearance for the main dump line. The three gray tanks will be manifolded together on both sides with the inlets at the top and the outlets at the bottom with the dump valve at the end of the dump manifold which will be cable operated. the gray will then be tee'ed into the drain line. The drain will also have a redundant dump valve internal to the frame at the streeside aft corner. A 90 degree dump fitting will then exit the belly pan. Everything will be internal between the floor and the belly pan.

This is the plan as it currently stands but may have to be altered as I start the install this spring. I may have to drive the curbside up on a couple of leveling block to do a complete clean out but i feel this is a small price to pay to prevent ripping the drains off on the forest service roads I tow on
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I added a grey tank to my 65 sovereign rear bath just aft of the rear axles. I saw this in toasties thread thinking about using this trap. Also I am going to raise the shower pan a little to allow for the drop (1/2" per foot I believe). I used these tanks.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Keep'em coming, the suggestions that is. Lot's of ideas to consider. Our Trade Wind is in pretty good shape although I would like to update it some my 'fabricating' days are done. My joints are nearly 74 years old...hips 6 years... and wiggling under a trailer and my convertible is getting old too. I did replace the black tank 5 years ago...axles 3 years ago...don't tell my surgeon...and got the thrill of accomplishing those tasks. I know I have to keep these future renovations to a minimum. We need a grey tank. I will consider your imputs plus others that may come. Looking more to hit'n the road soon. Thanks and GREAT craftmanship examples so far.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Keep'em coming, the suggestions that is. Lot's of ideas to consider. Our Trade Wind is in pretty good shape although I would like to update it some my 'fabricating' days are done. My joints are nearly 74 years old...hips 6 years... and wiggling under a trailer and my convertible is getting old too. I did replace the black tank 5 years ago...axles 3 years ago...don't tell my surgeon...and got the thrill of accomplishing those tasks. I know I have to keep these future renovations to a minimum. We need a grey tank. I will consider your imputs plus others that may come. Looking more to hit'n the road soon. Thanks and GREAT craftmanship examples so far.
Neil
Good luck I will be watching. I am not at the plumbing phase yet but hope to be soon. Also noticed you are in Placerville. I used to live in Folsom and am from Red Bluff.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I retrofitted a gray tank into my 63, below deck and aft of the rear axle. I originally planned to combine the outlet plumbing (though keep a separate dump valve for each tank, black and gray).

But ultimately, time and cost convinced me just to go with separate dump plumbing for the black and gray, and it's not a big deal. Takes maybe an extra 20-30 seconds to unhook from the black and hook up to the gray, not too much trouble at all.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I retrofitted a gray tank into my 63, below deck and aft of the rear axle. I originally planned to combine the outlet plumbing (though keep a separate dump valve for each tank, black and gray).

But ultimately, time and cost convinced me just to go with separate dump plumbing for the black and gray, and it's not a big deal. Takes maybe an extra 20-30 seconds to unhook from the black and hook up to the gray, not too much trouble at all.

Good luck!
-Marcus
Yes, Marcus, I have come to the same conclusion. Now I'm trying to decide on a 16 gal between floor and belly pan tank from Vintage Trailer Supply or a larger capacity from other suggestions in this thread. Not sure if I want a tank hanging down past the belly skin. So far I think for the way we camp we could do with the 16 gal.....much better than waste grey water backing up if we need to use a sink on the road but since we have 35+ fresh water capacity we may wish we had more grey capacity 'down the road'. ALL the suggestions and opinions.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
I have seen some concerns posted regarding keeping the black and grey separate,( not connected in any way), in order to prevent the grey tank from going septic. If Neil drains the gray through the black, or they share a drain, will there be a health risk? I haven't plumbed yet, as well, and this topic is a concern.

Mike
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
I have seen some concerns posted regarding keeping the black and grey separate,( not connected in any way), in order to prevent the grey tank from going septic. If Neil drains the gray through the black, or they share a drain, will there be a health risk? I haven't plumbed yet, as well, and this topic is a concern.

Mike
No.....the way I wanted to do it, but now it's getting to be clear to me that I will not be able to accomplish it because of logistics, is a valve for the gray drain near the valve for the black to block the grey while draining the black then opening the grey to help flush the black 'debris' down the hose to the septic. I will use my 'Sewer Connection' with the black as I do now then drain the grey separately. The black and grey will only meet at their final resting place...the septic tank.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Yes, Marcus, I have come to the same conclusion. Now I'm trying to decide on a 16 gal between floor and belly pan tank from Vintage Trailer Supply or a larger capacity from other suggestions in this thread. Not sure if I want a tank hanging down past the belly skin. So far I think for the way we camp we could do with the 16 gal.....much better than waste grey water backing up if we need to use a sink on the road but since we have 35+ fresh water capacity we may wish we had more grey capacity 'down the road'. ALL the suggestions and opinions.

Neil
I went with a 30-gallon stock tank from PPL that hangs below the bellypan. I like the capacity, and haven't had any issues with the tank so far, three years and counting.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote