Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I am useing these Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks for my grey and black tanks. Uwe from Area 63 suggested them.
I'm using the same tank from Ronco. I have two gray and one black tank. The total was around $500 to my door.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1987 34' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to DodgeDave
Edge and corner thickness is kind of critical because this is often where they receive mechanical stress. ABS vacuum molded tanks are thinner at corners and edges because they are drawn over a mold while being heated. Roto-molded tanks are actually thicker at corners and edges because they are literally rotated in a mold.

DodgeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I am having a difficult time with this ABS versus Polyethylene tank choice. Today I am really thinking to go with poly... However, I really want to use the rubber fittings rather than order the tanks with fittings spin-welded.

You are supposed to use a butyl caulk with the rubber fitting.

Anybody have problems with the rubber fittings leaking?

In my design I will have a 5" deep tank and a 6" deep tank. When the 6" deep tank is full the water height will be above the 5" deep tank. In other words I will 'over-fill' the 5" tank which will put the rubber fitting 'under water' by a 1" water column, 2" if water backs up into the shower pan. The tank guys say 'no problemo' but I don't know.

Anybody had a bad experience with the rubber fittings?

Thanks, John H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber grommet fitting.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	127004  
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are more leak resistant bulkhead fittings available. Here's one supplier:

Polypropylene Bulkhead Tank Fitting with EPDM Gaskets | U.S. Plastic Corp.

And some slightly heavier ones from the same place:

HaywardŽ BFA Series Industrial Bulkhead Fittings | U.S. Plastic Corp.

You could also try a place that sells spray equipment to farmers. They'll have similar fittings, reasonable prices, and are usually willing to work in small quantities.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
So is there a sealant we can use with the poly . . . And/or will the butyl caulk be "water tight"?

And a separate question (for Jammer):
Those fittings look great but how do you get the piece that goes inside the tank . . . in the tank (w/out drilling a larger hole somewhere else (sounds like a "dumb question")?

Seems like it would only work for small connections - where you could install the inside piece through the large drain hole.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
How will the weather affect these tanks?

My factory poly black tank is in an enclosure with insulation and a heat source. From the pictures I have seen, the ABS will be exposed on the bottom. Is there a freeze risk?

I am about to order a black and a gray, not sure which way to usual.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Just remember that the polyethelene group of plastics (HDPE, LDPE) are so chemically resistant that they are virtually impossible to solvent weld (glue). This material is commonly used in labs and research facilities where corrosive materials may be used. Connections may be made mechanically by bulkhead fittings or by heat fusion only. Strength wise for all practical purposes they are the same. The polyethelene may be a bit more brittle. If you were looking for a replacement for a fresh water tank I would suggest the polyethelene, otherwise use the ABS.

Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote