Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Gray Water Tank Slow Drain

I am having a problem with the gray water tank on my 2000 25' SS. When tending to the dump station chores for the last two outings, the gray tank drains very slow. I pull the valve lever out all the way and the water comes out at more than a trickle but way less than a full flow. It used to flow just fine.

I am somewhat perplexed on what to do. My guess is that the valve is not opening fully, but the valve lever is pulled as far as it will go.

Any thoughts????
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I am having a problem with the gray water tank on my 2000 25' SS. When tending to the dump station chores for the last two outings, the gray tank drains very slow. I pull the valve lever out all the way and the water comes out at more than a trickle but way less than a full flow. It used to flow just fine.

I am somewhat perplexed on what to do. My guess is that the valve is not opening fully, but the valve lever is pulled as far as it will go.

Any thoughts????
Check the gray water vent pipe cover. Take the cover off, and look for an obstruction.

Also, a bird perhaps is lodged in the vent pipe itself.

If it's partially blocked, it will slow the drain, as you described.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
If what Andy (the Master) has suggested doesn't work, take a garden hose and blast a stream of water backward through the grey-water valve to see if you can dislodge any obstructions. You could also put some Dawn dishwashing soap (a GREAT de-greaser) in the galley sink after you have drained the tank, and then several gallons of HOT water - drive around for a while and try the dump process again and see if that doesn't do the trick. I see you have a 2000 model - I suspect ten years of grease / hair / general gunk. If you are pulling the handle out all the way, the valve should be opening unless it is broken. Good luck - keep us posted!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Last night I visited the trailer and as Andy suggested checked the vent pipe. There is only one vent pipe on the top of the trailer and it was clear. If the vent one vent pipe is for both gray and black, and there was a block wouldn't the black also flow slowly? The black flowed like a champ. Is there something else I should check?

It may be a while before we have an opportunity to try the Dawn and hot water.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When I checked on my slow flow from tank, I concluded it was because it's shape was very shallow with a very large length and width with very little height for pressure. If you find the problem and you get it to flow fast please post. I did take off the valve and replaced. While valve was off I used a hose directly to flush tank, and put hose into vents on roof.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Last night I visited the trailer and as Andy suggested checked the vent pipe. There is only one vent pipe on the top of the trailer and it was clear. If the vent one vent pipe is for both gray and black, and there was a block wouldn't the black also flow slowly? The black flowed like a champ. Is there something else I should check?

It may be a while before we have an opportunity to try the Dawn and hot water.
Has the gray tank problem always been that way, or is it something new?

That in itself will dictate which way the issue is approached.

Andy
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Andy,
This is the second outing with the slow drain. Before that it worked as expected. The only thing that changed was we lost the vent cap cover sometime after the last time it flowed correctly and the last trip out. We installed a new vent cap before taking it out on the last trip. It occurred to me that something could have gone into the vent pipe, but spending a lot of time with a flashlight last night, I could see nothing.

So:

Trip -2 gray worked correctly
Trip -1 flowed slowly
Noticed vent cap missing and replaced - not sure when it came off
Trip 0 flowed slowly.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Andy,
This is the second outing with the slow drain. Before that it worked as expected. The only thing that changed was we lost the vent cap cover sometime after the last time it flowed correctly and the last trip out. We installed a new vent cap before taking it out on the last trip. It occurred to me that something could have gone into the vent pipe, but spending a lot of time with a flashlight last night, I could see nothing.

So:

Trip -2 gray worked correctly
Trip -1 flowed slowly
Noticed vent cap missing and replaced - not sure when it came off
Trip 0 flowed slowly.
Based upon what you just told us, it sure sounds like something got lodged up in that vent pipe.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

You can change the valve. Any R,V. parts store will have a replacement. It is not pleasant, but if I can do it anyone can. (Thank your lucky stairs it is not the other valve). While the valve is off, you can eyeball the tank for obstructions.
Changing the valve resolved my slow flow problem. The valves wear out and plug up over time.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Grey Tank Fills Too Quickly

What will cause the grey water tank to fill too quickly? We can't get through one day without having to drain the tank. 2 showers, turning water on and off, and washing dishes one time will fill it up - at least that is what the monitor is telling us.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Is it really full more than likely a faulty sensor or board. When draining is there 20 gallons or more coming out or a quick drain confirming a bad monitor reading?
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Water will start to fill the shower when the tank is really full. My tank is only 12 gallons and we can get a few showers and some dishes, you should get more.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Next time it flashes red, just continue to add water to the tank; if you don't observe water coming up through the shower drain within a reasonable time (and you decide what reasonable is), then you have an indication problem, which in my unpleasant experience, is usually a bad sensor, although occasionally I've had to recalibrate the monitor.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr View Post
What will cause the grey water tank to fill too quickly? We can't get through one day without having to drain the tank. 2 showers, turning water on and off, and washing dishes one time will fill it up - at least that is what the monitor is telling us.

Thanks.
Jenni.

Sounds like the showering time is excessive.

A good shower can be done with 2 gallons of water.

Quickly wetting down takes 2 quarts.

Then lather.

Then rinse, starting at the top of the persons head, and going down as far as "possible", uses 2 quarts of water.

Then rinse some more, starting at the persons toes, and rinsing up as far as "possible", using 2 quarts of water.

Now, you still have 2 quarts of water left.

Therefore, you lastly rinse "possible".

Seriously, practice that at home, and after a couple of times, you will be amazed, that it "can be done".

Same with rinsing dishes. Rinse them as a group, not individually.

That's not the same for people, but could be.

Andy
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Gray Water slow flow solved

I finally got the old girl out for another trip and selected a site with 3 way hook ups. I started with a lot of water down the vent stack. The wife monitored the flow via a clear piece and reported several black clumps of something passing. Moved hose up and down vent stack for quite a while. Flow was clear. Loaded gray tank and checked flow. Didn't seem fast enough so stuck hose into valve and then worked it into the gray tank and gave it a good flush. Finally loaded gray tank including hot water and dish washing soap. Then let it go and flowed really well.

Thanks for the good advice, problem solved!