Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Gray Water Tank Retrofit Installation

We know there have been a number of posts on this subject, but there seems to be as many solutions as there are Airstreams out there! So here is a link to our blog that shows how we solved the problem in a 1962 Flying Cloud. Having read as many of the previous posts as we could, we were able to glean hundreds of little nuggets and we came up with a stock 23 gal tank at a reasonable price that fit like a glove. As there also seems to be as many frame configurations as there are Airstreams as well, this will not work for everyone, but it is a good place to start. We were fortunate that the existing plumbing was relatively easy to modify to fit the new system. It is complete with shower and sink inlets, as well as an airgap to insure proper drainage. We hope this helps!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...6-flyncld.html

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Nice job, thanks for posting.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Looks great, FlyinCld. Thanks for documenting your efforts.

I agree, when I was doing my research on this project, I too saw as many different ways to do it as there are trailers that have been retrofitted. I took the easy way out and copied (mostly) a friend's solution for his '62 Overlander, which was just about idtentical to my '63 in frame member position.

Anyway, looks really nice.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Looks great! got a couple of questions....

How did you vent the tank?

How did you make those straps? they look rugged.

what else is holding the tank in place?

Do you know if there's a catalog of this tank manufacturer's offerings? there doesn't seem to be any info on their web site.

any more info on the composting toilet?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi Chuck,

The vent comes off the top of the tank, up through the floor, under the counter and hooks into my roof vent for the rest of the system.

The straps were made from galvanized strapping which I wrapped in Armaflex pipe insulation (from Home Depot) to prevent any rubbing. The tank is a very tight fit, so the straps and the the pipe connections to the plumbing have that baby in there very tight. The straps are bolted to the frame, and I also riveted them as well for a backup. I don't think it can go anywhere, but will keep an eye on it during our shakedown cruises!

You can get info on the composting toilet at: Nature's Head - Eco-Friendly Waterless Composting Toilets for Marine and RV use.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Chuck,

Forgot your question on the tank. I got their catalog from a local RV repair shop. They probably had a 100 different tanks in there, and I just waded through until I found this one. I am wondering if it wasn't based on a custom tank they did at some time for an AS as it was such a perfect fit!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Greg & Charlotte

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Coast , British Columbia
Hello FLYNCLD

Thanks for posting your project. I have a similar project (1953 Flying Cloud) yet to get underway and every bit of information helps.

In your post you mention the use of solar panels, an idea I have thought about but have not yet done too much research. Have you made any definite choices as far as the components you'll be using? And if so, would you mind sharing your thoughts?

As well, I noticed in one of your pictures a bathtub set in the curbside rear corner. Again a project I want/need to get underway. Where did you find this tub (original or from a supplier) and how might a fellow find something similar?

Again thanks for sharing your projects.

RTY

In a crisis it is always better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground.
AirAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi RTY!

We have done a lot of research on the Solar, and it is quite complicated to get to the point where you really know what you need! There also seems to be a lot of different ways to get there! I think the most helpful people I found where AM Solar in Springfield OR., although I am sure there maybe somebody closer to you. The first thing you have to determine is you load usage, and then you go from there. I will be posting to our blog as we progress so keep you eyes open for our posts.

The tub was in the trailer when we bought it, do not know if it is original, but it sure is nice!

BTW, I have posted a few items that we took out of our trailer on the classifieds (toilet, stove, sink, door, table, etc.), so you may want to take a look at them.

Good luck with your project!

FLYNCLD
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Clarkston , Washington
Thanks so much for your post Flyncld. This is very helpful! I am just beginning to gather info for a grey water tank install on a 68 17' Caravel. It will be quite a challenge for me, but your project has given me some courage - and some great ideas.
Thank you!
fdole
fdole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water tank, plumbing