Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
Gray-water odor issues

It doesn't seem constant but when I dumped last night I had a gray water odor coming from the closet (which is currently loaded full ). I was able to lift floor a few inches and peer beneath, which revealed nothing of consequence... Well at least nothing spewing, sparking or mangled beyond repair.

We'll probabley dump at least once or maybe twice more before getting home. Should I worry about this now, or tough it out and deal w/ it at home?
the_bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Not familiar with you floor plan, but is the an obvious reason that there would be grey water in the closet? Things like, is the closet between the kitchen sink and the grey water tank? I had an old Prowler trailer that when the grey water was full, it would "slosh" out the shower pan, and then run where ever gravity would take it. Usually straight to where my clean clothes where stacked by the bed. Perhaps there is a grey water pipe routed through the closet.

My other thought would be that there is just something smelly in the closet. Either way you are going to have to empty that closet to figure it out. If it was me I'd be looking into it before I get home. Maybe not fixing it, but at least knowing what is going on.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If nothing was wet, you may just need to add some odor-controlling chemicals to the grey water. We have some plumbing under our bed, which sometimes emits odors. These smells often increase in warm weather, especially here in Arizona where it's 110+ in the summer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Is the vent to the grey water inside the closet in question? Is there a joint in that vent that has come loose enough for odour to escape?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some people have discovered vents were not glued together. Check them for tightness and if they are loose at the joints, use ABS glue (if the pipe is black) or universal glue for PVC, CPVC and ABS.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Loose vent piple connections aren't uncommon either along it's length or at the tank connection. Nor are mud dauber nests in the vent piping. Check for both, correct, and have a good time.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Gray Water Odor

I also agree with the loose fitting or failed in line vent. There are three in line vents in my 30', one under the kitchen sink, one in the closet and one under the sink in the bathroom. On occasion when both fantastic vent fans are on and not enough windows open the fans seem to suck gray tank odor from the vent in the closet. Turn fans off or open more windows, no problem. Use Air Conditioning, no problem. There is also a chance of odor coming from a P trap. It is not uncommon for the trailer to sit and the water in one of the P traps to evaporate and allow odors to escape, usually the shower when it is used for storage.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bosco View Post
It doesn't seem constant but when I dumped last night I had a gray water odor coming from the closet (which is currently loaded full ). I was able to lift floor a few inches and peer beneath, which revealed nothing of consequence... Well at least nothing spewing, sparking or mangled beyond repair.

We'll probabley dump at least once or maybe twice more before getting home. Should I worry about this now, or tough it out and deal w/ it at home?
You most likely will find that the cause is a bad sewer vent pipe cover gasket, as they only last 2 to 3 years.

Replacing all of them, adding a screen, with a new gasket and sealing them with Vulkem sealer, solves the issue.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Lambert , Montana
We're traveling tomorrow but it should be an early day. Guess I'd better empty the damn closet.
the_bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
I also agree with the loose fitting or failed in line vent. There are three in line vents in my 30', one under the kitchen sink, one in the closet and one under the sink in the bathroom. On occasion when both fantastic vent fans are on and not enough windows open the fans seem to suck gray tank odor from the vent in the closet. Turn fans off or open more windows, no problem. Use Air Conditioning, no problem. There is also a chance of odor coming from a P trap. It is not uncommon for the trailer to sit and the water in one of the P traps to evaporate and allow odors to escape, usually the shower when it is used for storage.
Exactly same problem here. Smell is coming from the vent/valve under bathroom sink, only when fans are on with door and windows shut. I'm going to try and replace them today, and I'm praying they are not glued on. Anyone have trouble removing the old air check valves?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Almost every AS I owned would suck odors from the vent stacks into the trailer through the fantastic fans. The stacks vent it to the roof and the fans would suck it back in if the closest ceiling vent were open and the fan farthest away was blowing out.jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Screwd right off, not glued. Replace with an identical "air check valve" I bought at Lowe's for $6. Oder is reduced when fans are on, but not completely gone. I'll try more plumbers tape around threads, but I have a feeling one of the other fittings is loose in there. There is no doubt the Oder comes from inside the bathroom sink cabinet. Never a dull moment.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
After our last trip, I thought I smelled sewer gases in the trailer. I thought that maybe there was food left in the sink drain line as we'd had just enough water to wash dishes (and we had alot of dishes). I put fresh water down the drain to flush it. The odor was still present. We had used the oven, and I had left the oven control at the "pilot light" position, in case we needed the oven again, but the pilot flame had gone out. So, what I detected was a minute amount of LP that was feeding the pilot circuit. Turning the oven control to off eliminated the odor.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
In ours the bathroom sewer vent is really close to the bedroom Fantastic Fan. That fan should be set to exhaust only. If it is installed with the wiring backwards, it will act as an intake fan. Then you can remove the inside cover and reverse the wires going to the fan motor to make it exhaust. Some fans have a reverse switch, but the fan should only be set to exhaust.

Usually our black tank doesn't smell bad for about a week, but sometimes sooner. If there's no chance (or desire) to dump and flush the black tank, we just pour more deodorant down the toilet. Running the bathroom exhaust fan helps a little. And staying away from beans helps too.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
...snip...
Running the bathroom exhaust fan helps a little. And staying away from beans helps too.

Gene
Can't disagree about beans.

But my experience with the bathroom fan is 180 degrees opposite yours. I find closing the fan fixture and the lid when flushing helps a lot. When the bathroom vent is open (especially with the fan on and air being sucked up out of the trailer) plus the toilet seat is up, black tank odors just get drawn right up with the breeze.

I'm going to back flush this weekend at my site. The draw bar at the blank tank has been feeling tighter and despite a complete full tank flush every time (without fail) before storing, this weekend didn't get off to a great start in that department :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The valve on our black tank, and the one on the grey tank to a lesser degree, is hard to open and close. There's a solution sold in RV stores that is supposed to loosen up the valves and works to some degree. Eventually I know I'll have to take it part and clean it, but I'm hoping to delay that for many years. I think toilet paper gets stuck in the valve seals and hardens and food particles gets stuck in the grey tank valve seals.

Sorry the bathroom fan doesn't work for you, but it is a temporary solution until there's a chance to backflush the tank.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
In ours the bathroom sewer vent is really close to the bedroom Fantastic Fan. That fan should be set to exhaust only. If it is installed with the wiring backwards, it will act as an intake fan. Then you can remove the inside cover and reverse the wires going to the fan motor to make it exhaust. Some fans have a reverse switch, but the fan should only be set to exhaust.

Usually our black tank doesn't smell bad for about a week, but sometimes sooner. If there's no chance (or desire) to dump and flush the black tank, we just pour more deodorant down the toilet. Running the bathroom exhaust fan helps a little. And staying away from beans helps too.

Gene
Except for Dove Creek beans from Adobe Milling in Dove Creek SW of you Gene ! We stopped there last month and left with about 40 pounds of some of the best beans on the planet . Dove Creek beans and Olathe sweet corn ! It's whats for dinner
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote