Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Gray water leak-new twist

I have been researching the gray water tank leak problem and can find no reference to my problem. Since my infamous accident(I have decided to keep the trailer for the time being) I experience a leak which is gray water by default .By that I mean it is nonoffensive. The leak shows up in the floor/carpet in the kitchen/hallway by the head. It seems to stay centralized with respect to width but spreads longitudinaly about 4 feet. Any thoughts Brothers and Sisters?

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

The first question that occurs to me is: Is the grey water tank above the floor, or under the floor? If under the floor, it must be a drain line, not the tank itself.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Gray water leak-new twist

Quote:
Originally posted by bhsl8
I have been researching the gray water tank leak problem and can find no reference to my problem. Since my infamous accident(I have decided to keep the trailer for the time being) I experience a leak which is gray water by default .By that I mean it is nonoffensive. The leak shows up in the floor/carpet in the kitchen/hallway by the head. It seems to stay centralized with respect to width but spreads longitudinaly abouy 4 feet. Any toughts Brothers and Sisters?
Yours is the coach that was side swiped right?

It's possble when the coach was hit that the side wall has moved a lot more then you would have expected. Some of the drain fittings are plastic and stress from the collision and the side of the coach being pushed on may have caused the fittings to crack. I would start by tracing back the drain lies from the sink. Even the hose may have cracked where it's clamped to the wall.

It's just going to take laying on the floor and folowing those lines till you find the leak.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
B,

It sounds like the drain line from the kitchen sink to the shower, or the T where the bathroom meets the kitchen drain. The pipe from the kitchen is attached to the inside of the wall up kinda high, with a slope to the tank. If you were sideswiped on the same side as the kitchen this is where I would start.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you all for the responses. Indeed as I think about it logically, if the carpet is soaked in a very short time it could not really come from the tank itself, could it? The impact was on the roadside but I'm not sure that makes any difference. The T and related pipes make the most sense eh?

As an aside, I had the trailer sold to a guy about 50 miles away. I cleaned it out completely, got the title, manuals and other paperwork together to transfer ownership and he changed his mind 4 hours before he was to pick it up. I'll bet that happens more often than I realize.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote