Old 01-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
gray water handling

I wonder what different methods are employed for dealing with gray water. Recycling(filtering, distillation, etc.); Dumping(Where is it legal, storm drains, public bathroom drains, etc.); Other options or ideas while on the road while desiring freedom from campgrounds.

darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
As far as on the road or in camp the best assumption to make is that all of your waste tanks should only be emptied into designated dumps.

There are some camps that provide special drains for gray water only. These are usually intended for tent camp type low volume use.

Some camp areas may allow gray water dispersal in bookdocking type areas but you should make sure to check the rules first.

When it is OK to disperse gray water, do so away from any water source and only in amounts that will not show after a few minutes and not cause visible runoff.

One camp I was in had rules against gray water in a county that allowed gray water dispersal. This was because some big RV's had accumulated 40 or 50 gallons of waste and just pulled the handle on the way out of the campsite. The host told me it was ok to water some of the sagebrush, though.

There are some ideas and links posted at
(along with a picture of a prize winning Airstream gopher hole!)

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
This is an area of maybe greater then warranted confusion. Some say it is illegal to dump anywhere anytime except in approved disposal sites. All instructions for dumping refer to the balck water, and I am ordering a composting toilet to avoid having to deal with this. I have read a few websites online recomending using gray water to irrigate gardens and water trees, will also help restore water tables. Seems to me like a great contridiction. Also if a campsite won't allow gray water dispersion in a county where it is legal, then the rules must change from county to county and campground to campground. Seems like maybe I should install a trickle valve to the bottom of the gray water holding to tank to slowly drain, avoiding notice, eliminating any effort. But of course I wouldn't want to be a "dirty camper" in some one elses eyes, or get into any trouble while only trying to be independant of any facilities. Oh well, more research.

darin is offline   Reply With Quote