Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not sure this applies to your model, it is a known issue on some of close vintage.

The kitchen sink drain is tee'd into the vent pipe. When a large amount of water is dumped by pulling the drain plug on the kitchen sink, the large slug of water occludes the path of air being forced out of the gray tank.

The next easiest path out of the tank is the shower drain. This bubble of air forces the contents of the shower trap into the shower floor.

There is a special valved device that can be used to replace the trap that slows the flow of water and helps with the problem, but I can't remember the name. Maybe someone will chime in.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Sounds like you have pinpointed the location of the clog. If his trailer does in fact have a WET WENT, plumbing term.

If that is the case and it takes a half sink of water to produce the effect one might just cut down on half filling the kitchen sink with water.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The name of the device I mentioned is a HEPVO valve.

It is a P trap alternative that has the side effect of slowing down the drain flow a little.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
The name of the device I mentioned is a HEPVO valve.

It is a P trap alternative that has the side effect of slowing down the drain flow a little.

Regards,

JD
AND, in the instance of at least the 25 and 27 FC FB, installation of the Hepvo valve buys you a bit more cabinet space under the sink.

It's win, win. No more glug, glug, and the wife thinks you're a hero for giving her that extra bit of room to store more jun…er stuff.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Obviously A$ has no one in their design department that knows anything about DWV systems.
If they did, these problems would not exist.
Backing up into the tub/shower with a full GW tank is one thing. But when you can't drain the galley sink without water coming up in the tub/shower. It's just poor design!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
... The kitchen sink drain is tee'd into the vent pipe. When a large amount of water is dumped by pulling the drain plug on the kitchen sink, the large slug of water occludes the path of air being forced out of the gray tank. The next easiest path out of the tank is the shower drain. This bubble of air forces the contents of the shower trap into the shower floor ...
I have an '07 27FB and this confirms my suspicions. If I dumped a full sink, water momentarily bubbled up in the shower, a lesser amount did not. As I recall this was only noted if the GW dump valve was closed regardless of the tank level. If the valve was open, the open ended sewer line offered no restriction for this volume of water flowing into the tank, acting as if the vent was restricted. I verified the vent was clear from the roof down and with the hook on the end of the tape measure confirmed the pipe was't sitting low in the tank. My conclusion was that the galley and possibly the bath sinks used a wet vent to simplify the design, but the limited length and diameter of the pipes could not absorb that volume of water without finding relief through the shower drain.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Form without fuction in the design of the A/S round sink

This thread has been very helpful and the Hepvo Waterless Valve appears to be the fix. But this brings up one more thing that is missing....go to your shower and look at the cross bars in the drain. I have tried to put a toe stopper in our A/S shower, (to soak my feet while having a shower) and it appears the center is not threaded to accept one. I have tried both 5/16th and 3/8th sizes. If anyone has success putting one in, please let us know.
LEAKPRF STOP 5/16-2 RAPFT [03-4821] : Lasco - Plumbing Parts!
However, failing that, I'm thinking something like this bad boy, Shower Drain Plug, as it will stop the air and water (reminds me of those old Thermos bottle plugs). Now I'm thinking.... "would that move the problem to the bathroom sink"?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Vernon , British Columbia
Hi
I had the same problem in my 2006 28 International. The grey tank was not vented properly and kitchen sink water would come into the shower. To correct the problem I had to run a vent hose from the grey tank to the main vent stack and the problem was solved. This is a common problem with poor tank venting in Airstream trailers.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I used 3 of the HEPVO valves in the restoration of my 64 Safari. They work great and as stated the extra room the give you is a huge bonus in our small space. For 24.99 at VTS you can't beat it.