Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Gray water & boondocking

Since moving out West I have found that many of the state parks and BLM camping areas have limited facilities, especially sewer dump facilities. And many states do not allow dumping gray water just anywhere. I would never dump in any camping area and although you would think it would be beneficial out in the desert, there are some fragile eco systems and cryptobiotic soil crust that might be compromised.

So on a recent trip with three nights at Natural Bridges and not being anywhere near an RV park or dump station on my way to the next site, I chose to let the gray water slowly trickle onto the highway as I traveled along. Seems like a little soapy water would do no harm to the roadway but don't know if this is a major no-no. Any thoughts?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Since moving out West I have found that many of the state parks and BLM camping areas have limited facilities, especially sewer dump facilities. And many states do not allow dumping gray water just anywhere. I would never dump in any camping area and although you would think it would be beneficial out in the desert, there are some fragile eco systems and cryptobiotic soil crust that might be compromised.

So on a recent trip with three nights at Natural Bridges and not being anywhere near an RV park or dump station on my way to the next site, I chose to let the gray water slowly trickle onto the highway as I traveled along. Seems like a little soapy water would do no harm to the roadway but don't know if this is a major no-no. Any thoughts?

Yea, according to most state laws dropping liquid onto the highway is illegal. However, it is rarely enforced, but can be with great expense.
I believe your rig holds 35 gal. of Grey water? Wow! We have a 7 gal tank and that is enough for 3 to 4 days for 2.
If you have to dump, try a truck stop or many road side rest stops have dumps.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:

For photos of my boondocking fresh and waste water hauling system
(1)Go to forums
(2) Click on Boondocking
(3) Click on Boondocking and waste
(4) see posting # 48 on P 4
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Jimmini...sweet set-up, or perhaps I should say 'nice' set-up..

How do you handle all the extra weight in your Exc? Were you to get both those big tanks full at the same time, that's a real bunch of weight. like a half ton or so!

I've noticed a bit of a 'sag' in our Exc when I get all our extra camping stuff in the back...I'm thinking of installing a set of air bags on the rear axle, along with a compressor and auto air valve to bring it back up to correct ride height when it's loaded...

I made up a similar macerator pump set-up for an old non-moving MoHo we had parked next to a palapa down in Baja - used it to pump into a similar tank for transport to a dump station nearby...it worked really 'slick'...pun intended!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It's probably not kosher to let it out on the street.

Alas, rules on gray water are by no means unified. For example, the states of Arizona and New Mexico permit gray water use under some circumstances (that happen also to exclude most RVs). However, both states' rules can be and often are superseded by more local rules, including local rules enacted by subunits of the state (e.g., state parks). In addition, no matter what the state or local rules say, they don't apply on federal land or on reservations, where different sets of rules obtain. Finally, to make matters worse, different federal land agencies (BLM, NFS, parks/monuments) can make different rules.

Bottom line: Rules governing gray water use are a train wreck.

Lynn
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:

As a Motorcyle rider, that is not appreciated. Number one, if I were to get behind you while riding, also when you stop at a light or a stop sign the soapy water would then become a VERY dangerous and unseen Hazard.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
If a tree falls in the wilderness and there is no one there to hear it, is it a noise violation?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
If a tree falls in the wilderness and there is no one there to hear it, is it a noise violation?
Wash water (politicaly correct term) tends to disappear at night..
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Even with drain baskets I manage to get food particles in the grey tank so dumping on the highway is putting out food, too. Always wondered why so many animals stop in the road, must be getting a snack
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Wash water (politicaly correct term) tends to disappear at night..
Makes a lotta sense to me. Susan.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
One would have to use common, of course - but I see nothing wrong with letting some wash water 'evaporate' at night when camped in remote locations, assuming there's some deserving vegetation nearby...we're not talking toxic 'stews' here...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
At Burning Man the standard method of gray water disposal is evaporation; the hot ticket there is to use a small bilge pump to pump the gray water over greenhouse cloth that is exposed to the wind. In desert conditions even a small evaporator set up will easily evaporate 20 gallons/day, far more than is needed. If you're camping alone in a dry area, this works very well indeed.

A small quicky version on our shower last year at Burning Man (before Airstream ):

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote