Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Glass on a Valterra dump valve?

I'm in the process of replacing my original brass Thetford dump valve and need to know,can a Valterra valve (ABS) be glassed on to the tank . Do they have some type of flange available to do this? I know you can do this with a Thetford flange and valve but I would prefer to avoid that because of cost and availability of parts in the future. I have the old valve out of the tank and am ready to fiberglass in a new one.

This is plan "B" for this Valve replacement job. At first I had a machine shop water jet me an adaptor plate and gasket that bolted on to the part of the old Thetford plate in the tank and allowed me to use a Valterra valve ; everything worked out great except I had a leak. Thought it was a gasket problem but come to find out the casting in the tank has a minute fracture line in it , so out with the old and in with something new.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey 63 air,
If you go to Vintage Airstream Home, restoration resources they have instructions for changing to a Valtera valve. They use a 1/2 aluminum adapter plate. I did it and it worked great.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
That is the solution I had come up with and the exact plate I had fabricated . However ,the original Thetford part in the tank was defective and was actually leaking through the casting at the stud location and had been for years , probably since day one. That part off the valve is now out of the tank. So, it's back to the "imagineering" but I will come up with a solution. It's this kind of thing that makes a vintage trailer fun to own and work on.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
Deltona , Florida
Talking

I found the combination that I needed Here!
Then I used the part # and ordered the Valves and fittings!
RV Products & Accessories
Nukeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
New Valterra is on

Wasn't the easiest job but my new Valterra valve is on ,what an improvement from the old cast Thetford. Lots of grinding and a sawzall took the old part out the tank , then I did some reglassing on the tank , installed a rubber grommet sewer fitting ( stock item at the RV store) in the existing tank hole and sealed it to the tank with silicone adhesive. Clamped on the valve and hooked up the drains (this proved to be the biggest challenge.

I still have the adaptor plate I made plus I have two of the cast aluminum
Thetford sewer adaptors that I no longer need if anyone is interested.