Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Question Frozen Dump Pipes

Good Morning from Frozen Minnesota...
We recently return from a two month road trip. I made the mistake of not dumping my holding and fresh water tanks in temperate weather. I went out to winterize my AS yesterday and the dump tank pipes were frozen. I got out the trusty hair blower and was able to thaw the gate on the black water, but alas it is frozen solid above the gate on the pipe that is exposed.

Any suggestions on how to thaw out the pipes from the gray and black water tanks. I have left the heat on so the internal water pipes don't freeze. I plan to empty the fresh water tank by filling pots of water in the sink and then dumping it outside, and then putting rv antifreeze in the inside pipes. I will also heat and then drain the hot water heater.

Both the gray and black water holding tanks are about 1/8 to 1/4 full. Will there be enough room in my holding tanks for expansion if they freeze?

I am going to wrap heat tape around the pipes and see if that does it. Any other ideas.

Thanks for any help.

Next winter...we are not coming back to MN until April or May.

Bert
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheep View Post
Both the gray and black water holding tanks are about 1/8 to 1/4 full. Will there be enough room in my holding tanks for expansion if they freeze?
Sadly, that makes little difference. When water turns to ice, it expands in all directions, not just up. That's why ice cube trays are tapered rather than having vertical sides. But a holding tank with vertical sides is subject to damage from ice buildup even when partially full.

A question: Can you disconnect the frozen pipes? If so, you can take them inside to thaw. And if you find out they're damaged, you'd have to take them off anyway.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If it were me I would build a small temporary enclosure, like a small tent, around the area that is frozen. A space heater in a small area like that should thaw those pipes out pretty quickly. I would leave the heat on inside the trailer too, until everything thaws. Then dump all the holding tanks before winterizing all the pipes.

The best option would be to hook up and drive south ASAP
Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would use a kerosene salamander heater...from a proper distance, of course.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Sadly, that makes little difference. When water turns to ice, it expands in all directions, not just up. That's why ice cube trays are tapered rather than having vertical sides. But a holding tank with vertical sides is subject to damage from ice buildup even when partially
Not sure i am right, but I think the vibrations of being on the road would tend to splash water up from the forming block of ice thus leaving a lose fit after it all froze. I live in Texas so I have limited experience.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
One thing that may save you with the waste tank freeze is the impurities within the water alowing some compression. These tanks and pipes will crack with ease from inside pressure. One should always be prepared??

You might pour some hot RV antifreeze into the system while leaving some source of heat on in the close vicinity of the dump valves and plumbing.

Hope you are lucky on this one.

Leave the waste cap off for the winter as any water that gets by the valve will freeze and bust the pipe at the cap.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would use a kerosene salamander heater...from a proper distance, of course.

X2, good idea. One of those kerosene blow heaters.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Sadly, that makes little difference. When water turns to ice, it expands in all directions, not just up.

I would only expect that to true if the water was freezing at the same rate on all sides.

If the heat is on in the trailer, could not one expect the tank to stay liquid while only the exposed pumping froze, thereby allowing the expansion to push the warmer liquid back into the tank?

Path of least resistance.

I would keep the heat on and wait for a warm day.

I have day this situation in the past, and had nothing broken.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I suspect your frozen pipes are in up above the belly pan. If so cut a small hole in the pan and insert a hair dryer and turn on.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
What's the chance of finding someone with a heated barn big enough to park in for a few days ?? The cost of that would be less than repairing the plumbing failures you may be subject to should mother nature get the better of you.

Just a thought that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Good luck

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Leave the heat on inside your Airstream. Enclose the bottom area with one or more tarps. Duct tape the tarp to your trailer and weight the ground area with rocks. Put an electric space heater inside the "tent". Everything will thaw faster if the sun is shining and day is warm.
I realize the duct tape may leave a residue on your finish but unless you have access to heated indoor storage, you don't have much choice.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheep View Post
Good Morning from Frozen Minnesota... We recently return from a two month road trip. I made the mistake of not dumping my holding and fresh water tanks in temperate weather. I went out to winterize my AS yesterday and the dump tank pipes were frozen. I got out the trusty hair blower and was able to thaw the gate on the black water, but alas it is frozen solid above the gate on the pipe that is exposed. Any suggestions on how to thaw out the pipes from the gray and black water tanks. I have left the heat on so the internal water pipes don't freeze. I plan to empty the fresh water tank by filling pots of water in the sink and then dumping it outside, and then putting rv antifreeze in the inside pipes. I will also heat and then drain the hot water heater. Both the gray and black water holding tanks are about 1/8 to 1/4 full. Will there be enough room in my holding tanks for expansion if they freeze? I am going to wrap heat tape around the pipes and see if that does it. Any other ideas. Thanks for any help. Next winter...we are not coming back to MN until April or May. Bert
Hi Bert, I happen to be in Minneapolis tonight and it is 10 to 15 degrees F with a nasty wind. Since you now have the valve on your black tank frozen open, I would say that you are in a nasty predicament. You must seal the opening to prevent the thawed sewage from cascading some place once you have the valves un thawed. To do this, since this is Minneapolis, and the likely hood of a natural thaw will be April, I would lickity-split beg, borrow, or rent a heated garage, warehouse, or some shop facility, in order to get that thing inside and thawed out. You will save a lot of grief and future expense and ware and tare on everything,including fingers,nerves and Airstream. You know it is only going to get colder and more miserable. Jim