Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
LIVINGSTON , Texas
Forced air furnace heating black/gray holding tanks?

After removing the rear bathroom and floor of my 75 argosy 26' TT i found both the black/gray holding tanks. what i found odd at first was a small heat tube was running to each tank from the main forced air furnace vent. the tube looks like it supplied the hot furnace air into the box or area surrounding the tanks. i now know this was most likely meant to prevent freezing of the tanks in cold weather. i have eliminated the forced air furnace, replacing it with an electric heater and possibly radiant floor heating.

If the supply of warm air to the area surrounding the tanks is vital then i need a solution. i don't plain on being in such freezing condition for only a small part of the year if even, but i also would not want the trailer to fail if put in that condition.

My first thoughts were using the original furnace air vent as a new return. with a small electric motor to draw warm air from inside the trailer into the small tubs and to the tank areas as before. or perhaps someone can offer advice on a heating blanket or device for the tanks?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have eliminated them on my trailers. I don't think they bring enough heat down to the tanks to make much difference, and I rarely camp when it in much below freezing. But I have been out in the 20's and had some minor freezing issues with the drain lines prior to the dump valves. That area never gets any heat from those little 2" tubes anyway.

So, my opinion is to not worry about the heat to the tanks. BTW, the holes into the lower areas are great places for mice to get into your rig (along with the drain and vent pipe holes) so do plug them up if you don't use them, and fill in around them if you do.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think a small fan, as you suggest, would work fine. I have actually modified my furnace with a low speed PWM variable speed controller so that when I am using electric heat in below freezing weather, I can turn on the furnace blower only (separately from the thermostat switching) and keep a continuous flow of cabin air to the tanks. Haven't used it it really cold weather yet so it is somewhat unproven in its effectiveness. However, if it is really cold, I think I'd need the gas furnace to supplement the electric anyway. The way I have it set up, the thermostat will override the PWM controller and the furnace will come on as normal when required.

Here's the mod install:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ase-74624.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't think that the amount of heat that gets to the holding tanks is enough to amount to much. Conduction of heat downward through the floor does the bulk of the work IMO.

On the fresh water tank there is enough heat delivered to the fitting area to prevent freezing and damage, even though the tank itself doesn't get much heat.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use the furnace blower with a variable speed control installed. Here's the thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ase-74624.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
What power source are you using for the electric heating? If 120V why not add a tank heating pad on the bottom of each tank?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Who you talking to ghaynes?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My trailer uses heat strips for all three tanks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I was asking DearArgosy. OP said they are going to use an electric heater and maybe radiant floor heat. Unless there is something out there in the 12v world then while plugged in or on a generator they could use tank heating pads as installed on some of the AS trailers.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote