Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
Flushing Black Water Tank

Hi

I have a 2006 19' Bambi that I bought last year. I have tried flushing the black tank a few times but no water ever seems to come out. Am I doing it right?

1. Connect the hose to the sewer flush inlet.
2. Open the black tank outlet valve.
3. Turn on the water faucet.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Stuart
stuartdicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

2008 27' International CCD FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartdicker View Post
Hi

I have a 2006 19' Bambi that I bought last year. I have tried flushing the black tank a few times but no water ever seems to come out. Am I doing it right?

1. Connect the hose to the sewer flush inlet.
2. Open the black tank outlet valve.
3. Turn on the water faucet.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Stuart
The water must be coming out or the black tank would eventually fill up. Have you opened the water faucet valve wide open? You should be able to hear the tank flushing from both outside and inside the Bambi. You want that flusher to work hard. The water amount escaping is considerably less than when one first opens the valve on a full gray or black tank. You might consider a clear plastic 90 degree elbow on your sewer hose so you can see the water flow. Hope this helps.
brerfox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
During Urban Air, the Airstream Tech Guy named the black tank flush a "Use It or Lose it" feature. Meaning that once it gets caked up with brown ****, it will never flow properly. Sounds like you lost it!

These are shower heads installed at the factory. It's a little risky, but I suppose you might get some cleaner and 110% fill your tank, let it sit, then try the flush again with tank full. Just watch out that you don't flood the trailer!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The steps you describe are correct and should produce the desired result. It would seem that a little debugging is in order:

#1 are you sure you really have a black tank flush? A lot of older and smaller Airstreams do not have this feature. It may be that you are connecting to the fresh water fill?

#2 are you able to dump the black tank at all? One way to test this is to completely fill the blank tank with water via a hose in the toilet, and then open the dump valve. Does the liquid come out? Some black tanks are partially blocked and may not dump properly.

#3 assuming you got past #1 & #2 above and have confirmed that you have a black tank flush, and you have confirmed that the black tank can dump correctly, do you hear any water running when you are attempting to flush the black tank? If you do, and it's not coming out the open sewer line it must be going someplace? If you leave it on for awhile, does it start to seep out the underbelly? If it does, it's possible you have a broken line between the fill valve and the in-tank flush mechanism.

#4 if you've done everything above and you don't hear any water running when you are trying to flush the tank and you don't see any water seeping out the underbelly, it is possible that you have a blockage in either the line leading to the black tank flush mechanism or that the mechanism itself it blocked. Fixing either of these issues is not simple and would involve some dis-assembly.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
Thanks for your feedback everyone. The black tank does drain normally so I'm guessing that part is ok. I am definitely connecting to the inlet labelled sewer flush but I don't hear water running when I switch it on. Based on your inputs I'm guessing there is a blockage between the inlet and the flushing head as that makes the most sense. It sounds like there's no easy fix for that!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Some people have monkeyed around with these system and they may have disconnected or capped it off. There should be an anti-siphon valve on the back side of the connection in the wall. Some have reported these freezing and breaking, so various fixes have been done.

Perhaps you can see behind the connection through a cabinet inside the Airstream? Or pull it out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We never use our black tank flush. I have found it to be more trouble than it is worth with connecting a junk hose, etc. I dump the black tank when it is full. If it is not full and I am ready to empty, I fill it by holding down the foot pedal and looking down the throat of the toilet with a flashlight. I do not rely on the monitors. When full, dump it, and then refill it with fresh water by holding down the foot pedal, again using a flashlight to check. Do not drop the flashlight down the toilet. I suggest a wrist strap. Dump again, and then a final look-see down the throat with the flashlight to make sure we are good. Finally, I close the valve, and depress the foot pedal for 15 seconds to put just enough water in the tank to leave a "skin" of water in the bottom. Add whatever tank treatment you prefer, or not. Works for me so far. And much quicker than messing with hooking up another hose.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Morgan Hill , California
Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I use the Black Flush every time I go out on a weekend trip with water/elect hookups. I set the Micropulse monitor to the black tank and connect the hose and let it run until the lights get to the 3/4 full mark then turn off the water. Takes less time then trying to fill from the toilet. I'd miss it if it was not available.

Kelvin
Old 11-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
These "no-fuss" black tank flush systems seem to be rather fragile and can be damaged depending on the water pressure of your hose and if you suddenly turn it on full force as mentioned here. (an old "zombie thread")
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We are able to 'dump' at home.

I always use the BT flush.

"Used the 'Geo Method" several years back to loosen the 'stuff' up.

Now a 1/2 cup of Dawn in the Spring, filled with the flush'r, sits for a few daze and rinsed well....even the tank sensors still work.

FWIW....one thing I did notice after getting the home D-station....if you drive a few hundred miles with a 3/4 full black tank the nasties don't stand a chance of plugging things up.....

Bob
Old 11-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
I was at the same seminar in early October and heard the same thing. Now I rinse my black tank every time I dump.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
Supposedly, the blank tank flush systems get calcium deposits in them which blocks them, especially if the RV has sat for a while. I've been told you can attach one end of your water hose to the blank tank flush, and then fill the hose with CLR. Then attach the hose to the water source. Allow the water pressure to push the CLR into the black tank, and if its a calcium block then the CLR will dissolve it.

Haven't tried it, don't know if it works.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

"Used the 'Geo Method" several years back to loosen the 'stuff' up.

Now a 1/2 cup of Dawn in the Spring, filled with the flush'r, sits for a few daze and rinsed well....even the tank sensors still work.
Bob
Have used that “solution” before myself on the Foretravel we used to have and then someone told me another good way to rinse out my black tank was to use a couple of those dishwasher soap packets that have the “spot-free” rinse included.

The trick is to drain your tank before you leave the RV park, fill it about 1/3rd full with water and drop in a couple of those packets. The trip back home gives the black tank a thorough washing. I’m able to dump at the house directly into the sewer line. After dumping the tank, I’ll fill up with water and dump again then add a gallon or 2 to water to the tank.

The black tank has never given off any odors and the sensors are working like champs. The “spot free” additive is what seems to really take care of wastes/paper sticking to the sides of the tank and maybe also gumming up the black tank flush head.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The dishwasher tablet thing sounds like a very workable idea to me.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
The dishwasher tablet thing sounds like a very workable idea to me.
Yeah, real easy... and checking the tank with a flashlight confirms (at least on and around the opening), that the floor of the tank is clean - no build-up or “pyramids”...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
We never use our black tank flush. I have found it to be more trouble than it is worth with connecting a junk hose, etc. I dump the black tank when it is full. If it is not full and I am ready to empty, I fill it by holding down the foot pedal and looking down the throat of the toilet with a flashlight. I do not rely on the monitors. When full, dump it, and then refill it with fresh water by holding down the foot pedal, again using a flashlight to check. Do not drop the flashlight down the toilet. I suggest a wrist strap. Dump again, and then a final look-see down the throat with the flashlight to make sure we are good. Finally, I close the valve, and depress the foot pedal for 15 seconds to put just enough water in the tank to leave a "skin" of water in the bottom. Add whatever tank treatment you prefer, or not. Works for me so far. And much quicker than messing with hooking up another hose.
Well said. Us vintage owners have been doing it that way since forever. Kiss method works best almost every time.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've also heard the dumping a bag of ice cubes in the tank will scrub the bottom.

I bet someone adventitious could come up with a "black tank service" company that could set up at rallies. Something like a Chimney Sweep, except that aint no chimney!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some if the big rally's have a pump out service at your site.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dishwasher tablets - You've inspired me!

What a good idea - I do use my flush from time to time, but since I fulltime and know it'll only be hours before I "re-baptise" the black tank, I figure why bother.

HOWEVER keeping the nozzles open could be an issue. My monitors have never worked well, and I reset them 2 - 3 times a year. What the heck can't do any harm.

Another issue that keeps bugging me is buildup on the shower door and the shower itself. I did wax down the shower when I first got the EB, but haven't done it lately and there is always a bit of grunge build-up. I've tried CLR, and every shower spray-down chemical known to man without outstanding results. I think my next trick will be a bucket with a couple of dishwasher tabs dropped in - and a short handled micro fiber duster to apply the stuff to the door and walls of the shower. (It'll probably take the calluses off of my feet, so I'd better wear cheap flip-flops and have all the fans running when I do this experiment.) If I don't talk to you on the forum tomorrow you'll know something went terribly terribly wrong, but I'll be careful.

G'night all. Paula