Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
The dishwasher tablet thing sounds like a very workable idea to me.

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
The dishwasher tablet thing sounds like a very workable idea to me.
Yeah, real easy... and checking the tank with a flashlight confirms (at least on and around the opening), that the floor of the tank is clean - no build-up or “pyramids”...

Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
We never use our black tank flush. I have found it to be more trouble than it is worth with connecting a junk hose, etc. I dump the black tank when it is full. If it is not full and I am ready to empty, I fill it by holding down the foot pedal and looking down the throat of the toilet with a flashlight. I do not rely on the monitors. When full, dump it, and then refill it with fresh water by holding down the foot pedal, again using a flashlight to check. Do not drop the flashlight down the toilet. I suggest a wrist strap. Dump again, and then a final look-see down the throat with the flashlight to make sure we are good. Finally, I close the valve, and depress the foot pedal for 15 seconds to put just enough water in the tank to leave a "skin" of water in the bottom. Add whatever tank treatment you prefer, or not. Works for me so far. And much quicker than messing with hooking up another hose.
Well said. Us vintage owners have been doing it that way since forever. Kiss method works best almost every time.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've also heard the dumping a bag of ice cubes in the tank will scrub the bottom.

I bet someone adventitious could come up with a "black tank service" company that could set up at rallies. Something like a Chimney Sweep, except that aint no chimney!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Some if the big rally's have a pump out service at your site.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dishwasher tablets - You've inspired me!

What a good idea - I do use my flush from time to time, but since I fulltime and know it'll only be hours before I "re-baptise" the black tank, I figure why bother.

HOWEVER keeping the nozzles open could be an issue. My monitors have never worked well, and I reset them 2 - 3 times a year. What the heck can't do any harm.

Another issue that keeps bugging me is buildup on the shower door and the shower itself. I did wax down the shower when I first got the EB, but haven't done it lately and there is always a bit of grunge build-up. I've tried CLR, and every shower spray-down chemical known to man without outstanding results. I think my next trick will be a bucket with a couple of dishwasher tabs dropped in - and a short handled micro fiber duster to apply the stuff to the door and walls of the shower. (It'll probably take the calluses off of my feet, so I'd better wear cheap flip-flops and have all the fans running when I do this experiment.) If I don't talk to you on the forum tomorrow you'll know something went terribly terribly wrong, but I'll be careful.

G'night all. Paula
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Paula: regarding your shower, you might try my spouse's latest trick. Get one of those dish wand things with the sponge on the end and the handle you fill with soap. Fill it half with Dawn and half with white vinegar. Scrub while in the shower and rinse. Easy, if you keep up with it regularly.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote