Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ronnie

Your issue may be more severe than ours is. even when the grey water backed up into our shower pan, it went down in a matter of minutes rather than hours. just thought the plug would at least keep the water out of the shower when you drained galley sink.

Dana

Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Dana, your idea will definitely save me from having to clean the shower pan afterwards.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Just a lesson to some of us. If a non-necessary repair needs to be done at the dealer, DO NOT leave it there for 3 weeks waiting for parts. Use the thing. My dealer would probably have sent me down the road with instructions to come back when the part comes in. jim
Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Just a lesson to some of us. If a non-necessary repair needs to be done at the dealer, DO NOT leave it there for 3 weeks waiting for parts. Use the thing. My dealer would probably have sent me down the road with instructions to come back when the part comes in. jim
While being solid advice that is quite an extreme over-simplification of the situation. What I would have given to have pulled the trailer into the dealer and had this conversation:

Dealer - "So what's going on with it?"
Ronnie - "Sink won't drain to the grey tank, the water is filling my shower."
D - "Oh, just need to install a HepVo valve."
R - "Great, how long will that take?"
D - "A week staring at the trailer doing nothing. A week talking to Airstream and finally getting it to ship. A week for shipping, and 1 day to install."
R - "At least you're honest. I'll bring it back in 3 weeks. Here's a picture of the trailer so you have something to stare at for a week."
D - "Awesome. Just what I needed. I'll call you when I feel like working on it."
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Unfortunately, when I think of RV manufacturers and dealers, "integrity" is not one of the first words that come to mind.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi bike_addict, I ran the "test" today (pulled the plug on a full galley sink, with gray dump valve closed): sure enough, the air displaced by the surge of water into the gray tank exploded up through the shower drain, accompanied by a spray of water from the trap, requiring a small clean-up (definitely in the nuisance catagory, but certainly not as troubling as your situation).
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Well Ronnie, our FC 25' has a leaking fresh water tank. We didn't catch it until someone said it looks like you have water leaking so I checked the drain valve and it was fine, not until we got home that I noticed it was continually leaking. Going to a dealer tomorrow so hopefully it will be back by December. I haven't tested the dump from the sink like you experienced but will do that hopefully tomorrow before we leave it. I know they won't fix it while we're waiting and it's a two and half hour trip each way for us. I just hoping they don't half way do things like last time it was in the shop. I haven't found a good dealer for service in central Florida. I would much rather fix it myself than let the dealer touch anything but I don't have the schematics for everything. Hopefully tomorrow you'll have your trailer back and enjoying it problem free.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Ronnie, FWIW our 2008 27FB does the shower drain/fill/burp problem if you drain a full kitchen sink. Always has, just not to the same extent that you are having problems. Aren't you happy that you DON'T have a combined grey black tank???

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the dealers. I gave up on my dealer and Airstream early on in the ownership process. At was constantly a matter of passing the buck on to the unsuspecting consumer. Everything that I asked to be repaired was half assed just enough to get me out the door. It is so sad that such new trailers have so many problems.

Still, be vigilant. This too shall pass and you will be back camping before you know it. If you ever end up out near Boerne, give me a holler.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Well Ronnie, our FC 25' has a leaking fresh water tank.....Hopefully tomorrow you'll have your trailer back and enjoying it problem free.
That's no good. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to get it fixed up and you back on the road. I was told late yesterday that my trailer is fixed and ready to go. They said they tested it and it's draining good so we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Hi bike_addict, I ran the "test" today (pulled the plug on a full galley sink, with gray dump valve closed): sure enough, the air displaced by the surge of water into the gray tank exploded up through the shower drain, accompanied by a spray of water from the trap, requiring a small clean-up (definitely in the nuisance catagory, but certainly not as troubling as your situation).
That is definitely a nuisance. Have to keep a stopper in the shower to keep from having to clean it up. I'm curious to test mine out this weekend and see what happens.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Ronnie, FWIW our 2008 27FB does the shower drain/fill/burp problem if you drain a full kitchen sink. Always has, just not to the same extent that you are having problems. Aren't you happy that you DON'T have a combined grey black tank???

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with the dealers. I gave up on my dealer and Airstream early on in the ownership process. At was constantly a matter of passing the buck on to the unsuspecting consumer. Everything that I asked to be repaired was half assed just enough to get me out the door. It is so sad that such new trailers have so many problems.

Still, be vigilant. This too shall pass and you will be back camping before you know it. If you ever end up out near Boerne, give me a holler.
It's definitely been frustrating. Turns out that quite a few of the models run into the same issue when you dump a full sink. It is a shame that there are always problems, I understand nothing is perfect but you'd like to think they would strive to reach that.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict
...I understand nothing is perfect but you'd like to think they would strive to reach that.
This wasn't a problem back when the tank was directly vented. I hate to think that Airstream made this design change to save the cost of 3' of PVC pipe and a pair of elbows! The unintended consequence is the cost of customer satisfaction and for those who complain during the warranty, the cost of installing a newfangled valve assembly.

Bike_Addict, I'm glad to see you're getting your trailer back in time for the weekend.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The problem is that when they made a change, they must not have tested it properly. Then when there are complaints, they don't know what to do. Doesn't someone talk to someone else who knows there was a change and that the change didn't work? Or did someone come up with a solution which might work, but they kept making trailers with the changed item without going back to the original way they were made?

Gene
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I wonder how far back this issue goes? My PO said that he just assumed it was because basically travel trailers have a "flat" plumbing system. So I will repeat my previous wondering.... I wonder if many of us who have this issue to one degree or another should look at some type of retrofit to deal with it
Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
We'll find out how well the valve fixed the problem this weekend. I'll also get some pics of the install for everyone.