Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Well just got off the phone with the dealer and still no part so I got the tracking number from them. Turns out my last few days of frustration should have been pointed at Airstream not the dealer. Airstream told me they would ship the part last Friday, but per the tracking info they didn't ship it until Wednesday. So this weeks delay is due to airstream not the dealer. Tracking is showing delivery on Monday.

I dropped the trailer off on the 18th. So best case scenario if they knock it out early next week, my trailer would spend 3 weeks at the dealer. I should bill Airstream and the dealer for my storage cost for 3 weeks.

What's really sad is I only picked the trailer up on 10/4 so it has spent more time at the dealer than with me.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #100
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Well just got off the phone with the dealer and still no part so I got the tracking number from them. Turns out my last few days of frustration should have been pointed at Airstream not the dealer. Airstream told me they would ship the part last Friday, but per the tracking info they didn't ship it until Wednesday. So this weeks delay is due to airstream not the dealer. Tracking is showing delivery on Monday.

I dropped the trailer off on the 18th. So best case scenario if they knock it out early next week, my trailer would spend 3 weeks at the dealer. I should bill Airstream and the dealer for my storage cost for 3 weeks.

What's really sad is I only picked the trailer up on 10/4 so it has spent more time at the dealer than with me.

This is very typical for Airstream shipping parts. It is even worse if they owe you money and have to cut a check. My experience is about 6-8 weeks for that, even with periodic prodding.

Perhaps their thinking is that next time you will do it yourself and not bother them.

Ken

Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Boy Ronnie, this is getting to be depressing! Hope you can resume your Airstream adventure soon.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have never had this issue in my 30' Classic. I have an engineering line drawing of the chassis including the tank placement. It clearly shows three ports in the top of the tank. One for the shower and sink (y'ed together as I recall from looking under the closet floor. One for the vent stack. These 2 are curbside. The other is streetside and is for the bath sink.
OK, folks...I have something interesting to note. Although the line drawings from 06-07 timeframe show 3 openings in the gray tank, today I was on a Friday tour at JC. That means I got to go to the bare frame area because the employees are absent. There was a 30' something (or 31??, Classic?, FC?...dunno) on the line and both the gray tank only had 2 openings! One curbside and one streetside. Something has changed??????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #103
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Or... As Red Green says "If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'".
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airstream designs changes without notice. Manuals, plans, etc., are not necessarily true and in the end, one must investigate for oneself.

Gene
Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
best case is to take trailer back when they get the part. I hate it when the dealer keeps the trailer so long.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #106
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc6452 View Post
best case is to take trailer back when they get the part. I hate it when the dealer keeps the trailer so long.
My warranty has finally expired. I was actually looking forward to it, because I now have more choices availalble to deal with problems.

After leaving my trailer (and truck - so they wouldn't remove my PP hitch) one time with similar but not as lengthy a wait, I finally put my foot done and got them to agree to two appointments. I first brought the trailer in and they diagnosed the problem and figured out what parts they needed and I took the trailer home. After the parts came in, I made another appointment to have the work done in one day. They agreed but not happily. However, if you think about it, that shouild be to the dealers benefit, because the trailer is not there cluttering up the lot. However, apparently they would rather not have any kind of schedule to deal with. Their idea of service is:
Have a problem?
Then bring it in now and we will get to it when we can and let you know when it's done. In the meantime, please don't bother us.
Sad, but I think it is true. I only have experience with one dealer, so I hope this is not universal.

Ken
Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
it is universal. the several dealers that I have dealt with were the same.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
So progress. The part has been delivered and the dealer says it will be the first thing done in the morning and will be ready for pickup by end of day tomorrow. That is of course if they don't run into a problem. I told him I'd be there Wednesday at lunch to pick it up.

I asked him to get the part installed and test it afterwards to see if it worked BUT if it does not fix the problem do not start taking things apart to figure it out. As long as a normal amount of water is draining without issue just leave it alone and we can deal with it next week. I am picking the trailer up Wednesday one way or another. Told him I can't miss this weekend.

So I am hoping I'll be good to go. I was going to run out to Camping World to pick up one of those blue rolling tanks so I could release the pressure if I have an issue this weekend but they're offering a big sale online only and I'd save $55 buying online with free shipping. So I'm torn. If I order it online and hope if I have an issue that someone at the rally will have one I can borrow or I can always hook up and go drain. Or I guess all I really need is a 5 gallon bucket. I don't need to empty the tank, just open it so that the pressure can be relieved.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict
So progress. The part has been delivered and the dealer says it will be the first thing done in the morning and will be ready for pickup by end of day tomorrow. That is of course if they don't run into a problem. I told him I'd be there Wednesday at lunch to pick it up.

I asked him to get the part installed and test it afterwards to see if it worked BUT if it does not fix the problem do not start taking things apart to figure it out. As long as a normal amount of water is draining without issue just leave it alone and we can deal with it next week. I am picking the trailer up Wednesday one way or another. Told him I can't miss this weekend.

So I am hoping I'll be good to go. I was going to run out to Camping World to pick up one of those blue rolling tanks so I could release the pressure if I have an issue this weekend but they're offering a big sale online only and I'd save $55 buying online with free shipping. So I'm torn. If I order it online and hope if I have an issue that someone at the rally will have one I can borrow or I can always hook up and go drain. Or I guess all I really need is a 5 gallon bucket. I don't need to empty the tank, just open it so that the pressure can be relieved.
I have a dumping tank I'm bringing with me to the rally. Since we are staying a week I know our tanks will need to be dumped at some point. If you run into problems at the rally and need my tank you are more than welcome to use it. It's 35 gallons and it's on wheels so it can be towed behind the TV to the dump station.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84

I have a dumping tank I'm bringing with me to the rally. Since we are staying a week I know our tanks will need to be dumped at some point. If you run into problems at the rally and need my tank you are more than welcome to use it. It's 35 gallons and it's on wheels so it can be towed behind the TV to the dump station.
Thats awesome. Thank you for the offer. Hopefully it's not needed but it makes me feel better knowing there's an easy solution available if I run into a problem. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ronnie

just a thought here..... i know that drain stopper can work, but a full sink might dislodge a simple stopper. So it occured to me that I can remember seeing plumbers use test plugs to temporarily cap pipes and they come in various sizes. One might work as a temporary fix if they don't get the issue completely solved. Here is a link to some nylon expandable ones in various sizes.... you could probably find them at a good plumbing supply house.

Pipe Plugs ; Low Pressure Nylon Expansion Plugs, Series SS and VS by Cob Industries

Dana
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Dana, that makes sense and that would probably solve the problem of water in my shower. But if I'm understanding my problem then that would just make it where the water wouldn't drain as far down my sink pipes. Right?

I'm thinking that the water in the shower is just the visible symptom of my venting problem. Whether the water makes it into the shower pan or not, the water will still be up to the shower so it won't allow air out that way. Either way the water from the sink has passed my inline vent pipe and is not allowing air from my grey tank out to the vent pipe.

Either way I've got full pipes and I can't use my pipes for the few hours it takes for air to slowly make it through my pipe and to the vent.

Would I be correct in saying that the water in my shower is raising to a point to equalize height with the water in my sink pipe? (This is the part that Airstream can't answer. Why I get so much water in my shower.)

I may be way off.