Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Seems like a lot of people have experienced that. Too much water down the sink and a small amount of water will come into the shower then gurgle and drain away. That I believe is due to the design flaw that AS wanted a HepVo valve put in mine to address.

If we can get my vent blockage taken care of then possibly I can verify if it worked.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Alumaholic,

This will certainly check for blockages in the vent pipe, such as leaves or a dead bird, but what if the drain pipe slipped during manufacture, and is submerged in the water in the tank?

In the first case,water will flow out and over the top of the roof vent, but will it in the second case? I say that because I am wondering if it will still simply flow into the tank, albeit slowly...

Not sure if you found your answer, but you would have a slow drain and back up into the shower, IF the AS was not leveled. I was working on mine in the driveway, and noticed the exact same symptoms. I raised the front, and it all worked right again.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Well last Thursday I dropped my trailer off at Bob Jones RV Repair here in Houston. After meeting them and speaking to them I was very confident that I was at the right place. It definitely helped that when I pulled in I saw about 5 other AS in the lot, varying age models. Took a tour and they had various projects going on with them from complete restorations to skin repair. They were working on a skin repair when I was there. They were replacing a panel that was damaged during a blowout.

But they seemed very knowledgeable and made me very comfortable that they had the ability and very importantly the desire to get my problem figured out and fixed.

Hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow or Tuesday with a prognosis.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Air Admittance Valve

Although we have different Airstream trailers, I think the pictures below of my rear external storage compartment space may help illustrate some of the plumbing components discussed in this tread.

Our lobster kitchen sink drainage pipe enters the rear external storage compartment under the rear bed from the right side and traverses the storage compartment and exits the compartment on the left side, where it connects with the shower drain and gray tank.

Seen near the elbow connector is a T-joint connecting a vertical riser topped with an Air Admittance Valve.

Also see the related tread, "Kitchen sink drain soils shower."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012 Rear ext.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	146793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013 Air Admittance Valve.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	146794  

Old 12-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Ronnie,

What dealer did you first take your 2012 FC to trying to find a solution? I did not know Houston had any dealers.

Barry
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #160
troutbum

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
My wife and I recently experienced a similar problem with our 2010 27' FB Flying Cloud. We've taken it out several times with no problems, but the last time, after draining the kitchen sink, a small amount of water backed up in the shower. The AS was level so that was not an issue. Never had this problem before and don't know why it happened. I'll be interested to see what happens next time we take it out.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict
Well last Thursday I dropped my trailer off at Bob Jones RV Repair here in Houston. After meeting them and speaking to them I was very confident that I was at the right place. It definitely helped that when I pulled in I saw about 5 other AS in the lot, varying age models. Took a tour and they had various projects going on with them from complete restorations to skin repair. They were working on a skin repair when I was there. They were replacing a panel that was damaged during a blowout.

But they seemed very knowledgeable and made me very comfortable that they had the ability and very importantly the desire to get my problem figured out and fixed.

Hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow or Tuesday with a prognosis.
I had Bob Jones /Chris there do a lot of work on my 72 Tradewind. Good people and always treated me right.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
Did this ever get resolved?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Yes thankfully it did. Funny thing is that they don't know what they did that worked. They blew out the vent pipe first thing and then never could duplicate my issue. And I've had the trailer out for a 5 day trip and had no problems. So we're working under the theory that something was in the vent pipe. And as Chris over at Bob Jones RV Repair said, "I'd rather be lucky than smart any day."

My monitor panel is still not accurate so we've still got address that.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #164
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Do you get any small water backup in the shower that quickly drains away when a sink full of water is released? If not, maybe the HepVo valve that was added is useful in that case.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #165
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
No the valve seems to slow the flow down enough to prevent that.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ronnie,

Glad to hear your water issue got solved. I just fixed something last week and have no idea what I did other than take it apart, scratch my head, and put it back together and it worked. Luck is a good thing.

So long as you're on warranty, you might as well get the tank monitor contacts cleaned and recalibrated, but they don't ever seem to work very well. My understanding is the wires are telephone wire and the contacts are the same as telephone jacks—pretty flimsy wire for something that moves. The contacts get dirty easily and need some protection, but other than wrapping some electrical tape around it, I don't know what else you can do. After a while, you'll be able to estimate what is in the tanks.

Gene
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #167
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I was told at the factory to coat the contacts with dielectric grease.....not an easy task unless your black & gray sensors are exposed.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'd be very interested in knowing if the problem with water backing up into teh shower is limited to any particular years and/or models our trailer.

We generally camp with full hookups, but a couple of times when we have not had sewer hookup, we have been surprised how quickly our grey water tank fills in comparison to other SOB trailers we have owned. Our present trailer is a 2005 Classic 30.

It often seems we cannot go more than a couple of days - just two of use using the trailer and we try to use water very sparingly, especially for showers etc.

I always assumed that the AS must have smaller tanks than our previous trailers.

I have developed a few techniques to help us make better use of storage capacity, such as dumping sink wanter down the toilet into the black tank.

But now after reading some of the posts, I am starting to wonder if perhaps our grey water tank was not full when we thought it was. Our tank sensors have always been pretty much useless and so I just judge when the tanks are full by looking through an open toilet valve, and by keeping an eyo open for shower backup.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote