Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

Strangely enough, dumping something like sewage on the ground is the opposite of anal retentive.

Gene
That's hilarious.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #142
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Have read this thread with interest. I'm afraid to test drain a full sink of water when my AS emerges from winter storage

Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #143
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Too bad there isn't a buyers guide for purchasing an RV from someone like Consumer Reports. I wish I had known to check certain things during delivery, like filling each holding tank to check the operation and status monitor. Apparently filling and draining the sink is another one, at least for late model AS's. There is probably more wisdom from this forum that could be applied as well. Wonder if AS Life would consider writing an article on this subject?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Too bad there isn't a buyers guide for purchasing an RV from someone like Consumer Reports. I wish I had known to check certain things during delivery, like filling each holding tank to check the operation and status monitor. Apparently filling and draining the sink is another one, at least for late model AS's. There is probably more wisdom from this forum that could be applied as well. Wonder if AS Life would consider writing an article on this subject?
I think there is a market for rv surveyors similar to the professionals that survey sailboats during the sales process. Typically used sailboats over ~$20k are surveyed during the sale process and many people spend the money to survey new sailboats before writing the check to ensure that all systems are functioning properly and that fit and finish are correct. Insurance companies will often require a marine survey before insuring a sailboat. Perhaps marine surveyors should look to expand their work scope into the rv world. There certainly appears to be a need for professional rv surveyors.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #145
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Buyers guide for purchasing an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Too bad there isn't a buyers guide for purchasing an RV from someone like Consumer Reports...
Check the RV Consumer Group. It is an Independent nonprofit group. They don't sell RVs. It is a membership group. You can become a member or you can buy a RV Ratings Guide for Motorhomes OR for Towables.

Here's the link: RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I had a problem with standing water in the shower, even with empty tanks. After flushing out the grey tank vent (no issues) and the vent pop-off valve (no issues) and using a plunger to force the water out, I found that the drain pipe from the shower to the grey tank inlet was plumbed so that the water drained UPHILL! Of course, the water was just standing in the drain pipe and simply flowed back into the shower area. I am in the process of fixing the drain so that it flow toward the tank and not away.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #147
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
I had a problem with standing water in the shower, even with empty tanks. After flushing out the grey tank vent (no issues) and the vent pop-off valve (no issues) and using a plunger to force the water out, I found that the drain pipe from the shower to the grey tank inlet was plumbed so that the water drained UPHILL! Of course, the water was just standing in the drain pipe and simply flowed back into the shower area. I am in the process of fixing the drain so that it flow toward the tank and not away.

Just one of those things you stare at, shake your head and just wonder how did someone ever think that was a good idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
So I'm dropping the trailer off at a new service place on Monday. I never called the previous place because I didn't want to deal with them and I don't want them working on my trailer again. But it's bugging me that they think they fixed it.

Is that being petty?

I'm hoping I get a customer satisfaction survey in the mail. But haven't yet so I doubt it.

Does AS care? Should I call someone there and complain? All the times that I talked to customer service and griped about them and even when I asked for another service place because I wasn't bringing it back there they never mentioned anything about filing a complaint.

So I don't know. Not that it really matters in the big picture. It is just bothering me that they think they fixed it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #149
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hi Ronnie,
I have been loosely following this thread and I'd have to say you have been more than patient! As someone who has recently ventured into the RV restoration, refurbishment and repair business, I would have to say that there isn't much more important aspect of customer service than customer feedback. I'm sure you would feel better if you told them they weren't successful in their attempts to fix your problem. If they want/care about your business they would want to know as well. I think it does matter in the big picture. Everything matters. You should also voice your concerns with Airstream. I know how I'd feel if I had a brand new trailer and it had the problems yours does. But, don't despair! Everything can be fixed with time, patience and money. (in this case Airstream's money) Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #150
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
So I'm dropping the trailer off at a new service place on Monday. I never called the previous place because I didn't want to deal with them and I don't want them working on my trailer again. But it's bugging me that they think they fixed it.

Is that being petty?

I'm hoping I get a customer satisfaction survey in the mail. But haven't yet so I doubt it.

Does AS care? Should I call someone there and complain? All the times that I talked to customer service and griped about them and even when I asked for another service place because I wasn't bringing it back there they never mentioned anything about filing a complaint.

So I don't know. Not that it really matters in the big picture. It is just bothering me that they think they fixed it.
From your narrative, I would say your dealer has some definite customer service problems. However the real problem seems to be with Airstream. It seems to be a design problem in some or all models, and in the case of your trailer at least, it also seems to be an assembly problem.

I can certainly understand your hesitancy to have a possible verbal confrontation with either of them. However it is possible that your dealer thinks they did a great job. I would suggest that you write the manager of the dealership and tell him exactly why you are taking the trailer elsewhere for service. It is possible that, although it is too late to redo what they did with you, writing them might save some other customer from experiencing the same thing. Not likely, I will admit, but at least you will have done your part and I'm sure you will feel better about it.

As far as Airstream is concerned, I would suggest not doing anything until the problem is finally located and fixed. Then I would suggest sending them a letter detailing the whole process from start to finish. Include how you feel about their handling and the dealer's handing of it. I would tell them that you would like a reply. If you send the letter via certified mail, you are more likely to get a reply, because a record of your letter will exist.

Hope this helps,

Ken
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ronnie

I'd send the first place a letter as Ken has outlined. You have been more than patient on this and equally important you have not called the dealership out by name on here, which some might be tempted to do. Also agree with Ken that once resolution is to your satisfaction that a letter to Airstream would definately be warranted in that this appears to be a situation that has happened with more trailers over the years than just yours

Dana
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #152
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Ronnie,
Once this problem is fixed have the RV repair supervisor write a narrative about what the problem was and how it was fixed. Then send a copy to the the head of Airstream, Thor, and the dealership. I think I would bill the dealership as well but from what I'm hearing it may wind up in the circular file. I believe that everyone following this thread would agree that the service has been totally unacceptable and the people that have the power to make the change need to hear about it as well. Good luck.
John
Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
I've been thinking about Altamont's comment:
"I had a problem with standing water in the shower, even with empty tanks. After flushing out the grey tank vent (no issues) and the vent pop-off valve (no issues) and using a plunger to force the water out, I found that the drain pipe from the shower to the grey tank inlet was plumbed so that the water drained UPHILL! Of course, the water was just standing in the drain pipe and simply flowed back into the shower area. I am in the process of fixing the drain so that it flow toward the tank and not away."
along with this comment some time ago:
"Loss of the water seal in the P-trap either from evaporation (infrequent use) or siphon action (often from the Venturi effect on the vent at highway speeds that puts a slight vacuum on the drain lines); the loss of the water seal allows tank odors to enter the coach."

I'm not a plumber or engineer, but I think the roof vent pipe's position is part of the root cause of Bike Addict's problem. I wonder if the Venturi effect of an extended whoosh of sink water through the sanitary tee (3) drawing air from the roof vent pipe creates a positive pressure in the gray tank. Then, if the condition described by Altamont exisits in Bike Addict's shower drain, the full contents of 11C and shower trap will be pushed into the shower. If there's a sufficient volume of air in the gray tank to clear the water in 11C to the trap, an air lock might occur in the incorrectly sloped pipe. It may take a long time for the shower to drain then.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Similar situation on our FC 2012 B (rear bed).

Put some water in galley sink and then remove strainer/plug. Water came up from shower drain onto shower floor, then air bubble gushed a bit and all drained away. Seemed a little worse with grey dump valve closed than open.

Then I put the shower drain plug in tightly and tried same thing. Water did not force up the drain plug and flow up onto shower floor, all okay.

This was tried without a large quantity of water in kitchen sink, maybe 1/3 full.

The kitchen sink has an air admittance valve and there is a plumbing vent on the roof above the shower that probably vents the shower drain and/or grey tank. Looks like the shower drain has a common trap as there is water sitting in it.

I think it may be a design issue because we both have similar results. No doubt even a slight fore/aft or right/left leaning of the trailer will affect this sensitive drain. The less-than-ideal solution may be to keep the shower plug in when not showering. Another suspect is whether the roof vent pipe is tight against the top of the cover so that it is venting poorly, but I don't have a tall ladder with me.

I doubt this is new to 2012 models, anyone else tried it?

doug k