Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Factory black flush tubing leaking

On our trailer, as some others do, we have a connection for a black tank flush. Hook up a hose and it will shoot a spray into the black tank to help flushing. About 1 year ago (I have been living with it) when I tried to use it, the water was leaking out of the pan under the trailer. In trying to fix my gray valve leak (I have another thread for that), I have reopened the belly pan. I thought I would look at this also.

The leak is coming from where the tubing connects to the white flange that is attached to the black tank. See my photo attached. It appears the brass clamp that holds gray tubing to the nipple has come loose or failed.

Can someone ID what type of tubing this is and perhaps an idea of how to fix the clamping?

Thanks!
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Yes, I forgot the image. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	without parts.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	74180  
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Looks like poly tubing,that was used before pex,it was discontinued due to lawsuits.If it is leaking there you should be able to get it apart,and reconnect with small hose clamp.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Seal it with a clamp or a lot of goop and don't use it again. I think the Flush King works a lot faster and better and you can see what comes out of the tank—not altogether a pleasant sight, but you'll know when you get it clean. It takes a lot of repeat flushing to really get all the stuff out and you'll never know it if you use the factory flush system. Stuff sticks to the walls and needs to be soaked and flushed and soaked and flushed. You do need to seal the factory tube well because you never want anything to leak from the black tank. The only problem I've had with the Flush King was at a park with very high water pressure and I overfilled the black tank because I misjudged how quickly it filled—the way I knew was it started coming out of the soil stack and down the side of the trailer. It only took a little more than 3 minutes. It was all clean water by that time, fortunately. You could do the same with any flushing system, of course.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I have seen people mention the Flush King on and off. I looked at it online but I don't see the benefit, at least more so than the factory method I have. It appears all that it does is fill the holding tank with water, allow you to dump that and then repeat. Yes it is clear also. The force of the water does not mean anything for me because there is a 90 degree bend into my black tank.

I use a Sewer Solution which is clear and allows a jet of water into the tank output.

If someone has a benefit of the Flush King that they have found, please let me know.
On the road!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I looked at the Sewer Solution website. The concept is similar to the Flush King in some regards. The "jet pump" seems to be powered by the water flow from a garden hose and I guess it uses a nozzle and venturi tube to accelerate the flow either up to the black tank or outward to the drain because the hose to the drain is a smaller diameter than the standard ones. It says there are no moving parts, so the "pump" is not a true pump. The hose looks a lot nicer than the usual sewer hose. I suppose the "pump" helps with this design. I think the SS costs about 3x's more than the Flush King. Both brands are better than using the factory system.

Check out Flush King: Untitled Document

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
polybut plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Looks like poly tubing,that was used before pex,it was discontinued due to lawsuits.If it is leaking there you should be able to get it apart,and reconnect with small hose clamp.Dave
Out of couriousity, I have the poly tubing throughout my 86. Other than leaking is there any other reason for the lawsuits? Cancer?

I have been looking since my plumbing works great and I don't want to replace it unless it is a health hazard.

Thanks
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
No health hazards,when they started using it , they used plastic fittings and aluminum crimp rings,plastic fittings broke.Then they changed to brass fittings,and the alum. rings started breaking.When they finally got it together using brass or copper fittings,and copper crimp they had too many lawsuits and discontinued making it.
hope this helps . Plumber Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
It is fixed now. I had a local RV shop fix my gray tank leak and they looked at this also. It had corroded through the metal so a clamp would not have helped.

Thanks to all that responded.
On the road!