Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
x

XXXX , XXXX
Electric Waste Valves

I'm searching for a little information on these valves. Has anybody changed out their waste valves eith the electric ones available from Valterra. I'm diong a full monte now and my waste valves are shot and I thought why not upgrade to the electric ones. In the past I full timed in my A/S and it was a pain to go outside in -20C to empty the tanks. Push button would be a great convienience. I'll attach a pic so you can see what they look like.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I considered them but decided against them when asking RV repair business about reliability. The repair guy said they have quite a few issues with them.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I just removed a failed electric valve, in my mind the added expense and the inability to open the valve manually, are reasons enough to go to a manual valve. The failed was a Barker, I know they have a version 2 now, but still not sure they are worth the money in the long run.

Damon
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I don't know about anyone else, but opening and closing the waste valve by hand is just about the only part of dealing with the gray and black tanks that I don't mind.

What I'd really like is drain hoses that connected, disconnected, cleaned, and stored themselves.

I really can't see any advantage to electric valves.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I would expect an electric valve would be most likely to give trouble in cold weather when the seals,etc are stiffer and lubricants thicken.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There was a news item a while back where a large class A carrying a fairly prominent musical group (I can't remember which one), driven by a professional driver, was crossing a large bridge with an iron grating on the deck so that rainwater would flow into the river below. The driver, while crossing the bridge, took the opportunity to dump the tanks, utilizing an electric dump valve conveniently controlled from a switch on the instrument panel.

He failed to realize that, much to the sorrow of its numerous passengers, a crowded tour boat was under the bridge. Law enforcement was involved and things did not end well for the driver or the band.

It is my understanding that these sorts of, how shall we say, opportunistic disposals, are the real purpose of the electric valves.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

It is my understanding that these sorts of, how shall we say, opportunistic disposals, are the real purpose of the electric valves.
I was delivering a new SOB trailer. At the factory the sewage tanks are filled with water to test them and then drained.
Due to a goof the gray tank valve had been left open but the sewer cap was in place. While crossing the Ohio turnpike the cap let go. Nothing but clean water, but I am sure those behind me did not know that.
You would not believe how far you can drive while a tank drains. Seemed to take forever to empty.

Something to keep in mind when considering "opportunistic Disposal"
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Funny this topic came up. The wife and I were looking at one of those in Camping World just the other day. I told her then that I could never have one of those because the temptation to wire it to the tow vehicle would be entirely too great.
"Hmmm... Isn't that the psycho that nearly ran me off the road earlier coming up behind us? Three... Two... One... Take THAT you jerk! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
"You would not believe how far you can drive while a tank drains. Seemed to take forever to empty."

When I'm ending a trip, I usually have a fresh water tank that's got quite a bit of water left in it. And at some point on the trip home, I will remember this, stop, open the drain petcock, and resume my trip, so I get home with an empty tank. I know for a fact that it can take more than ten miles (I don't know for sure how much farther than that) to drain out. And it does seem that passing traffic ASSUMES that it's sewage, 'cause I get a lot of fists waved at me, lights blinking, horns honking, unusual hand signals (some of them obscene), etc. ... or maybe that's just their personal review of my driving!