Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #1

1975 25' Tradewind
Lindsay , California
Question Dump valves don't work!

I just finished replacing my freshwater system with PEX, and it's fantastic. Moving on to the waste water system, I found that the dump valve handles on both the grey and black water holding tanks were firmly stuck in place. A little lube and a little hammer loosened them up.. Now they both slide easily open and closed. However, the opening and closing of the valves makes no difference-- water from the black tank flows out whether the valve is open or closed, and water from the grey tank is stuck in there--it doesn't come out even when the valve is open.
Should I just suck it up and replace the valves? If so, is there an easy.. no, i mean, a less hard way to access those valves? Any and all ideas are welcome!
Thanks,
Dawn
dawncquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
It will be about the same, as far as trouble, to either rebuild or replace your valves. You can remove them, take them apart, and put new seals in them, or get new ones from somewhere like Inland RV.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

1972 Argosy 20
New Hempstead , New York
Hi I'm in a somwhat similar situation on my 20' Argosy my Thetford valve is hoplessly stuck to my black water tank. I'm going to try to "piggy back" an additionall valve onto my Thetford, otherwise there are external valves that hook onto the end of your waist pipe.
SWidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWidney View Post
Hi I'm in a somwhat similar situation on my 20' Argosy my Thetford valve is hoplessly stuck to my black water tank. I'm going to try to "piggy back" an additionall valve onto my Thetford, otherwise there are external valves that hook onto the end of your waist pipe.
I have seen add-on valves for Thetford fittings, it would go on the outlet where the cap would normally go.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Replace the valve, don't rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncquinn View Post
water from the black tank flows out whether the valve is open or closed, and water from the grey tank is stuck in there--it doesn't come out even when the valve is open.
Should I just suck it up and replace the valves? If so, is there an easy.. no, i mean, a less hard way to access those valves? Any and all ideas are welcome!
Thanks,
Dawn
Dawn
Here is a link where I wrote a "How-to" on getting to those valves. I think that your set up is differant but you will get the idea.

Here is a How-to on getting to those valves.

As far as repairing your valve with a repair kit, forget it. The two plastic tits that are on the gate valves are broken.
Click here to look at the repair kit

Once you get to your valves you will be able to see which valve you will need.

Press to fit Valve

Bond on Valve

Dawn
A side note here, your valves had not moved for a while. The same amount of work would have gone into taking it all apart, and the plastic that broke was needing to be replaced.

Dan