Old 05-16-2002, 02:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Dump valve

I have a leaky black tank dump valve on my 2001 Safari. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to replace it? It appears I will have to remove 3 rivets to even get access to the valve??:
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Old 05-16-2002, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Were is it leaking from? Through the slide gate or above the valve at the tank flange?

A common leak is caused from waste and paper buildup in the groove were the gate seats. Doesn't take much to cause a leak.

You should still be under warranty if you are the original owner

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

BobbyW
I think you have described my problem - paper buildup that prevents the slide from seating properly. any solution short of accessing and removing the valve? Any solvent that might cure my problem?
Old 05-17-2002, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Solvents are not a good idea on plastics, which is what you dump valve is made of. Most will melt plastics and that is what your Thetford valve is made of.

You can open the valve and gently scrap the groove that the valves gate seats into with a piece of plastic or wood like a popcicle stick. Some people use a piece of wire coat hanger but I would be very careful as you do not want to scratch the seating surface. Then you will really have a problem.

Have you tried opening and closing the valve while giving the inside throat of the valve a good blast of water from underneath?

You also can put your termination cap on the valve and fill your lines and black water tank with a couple gallons of water. Then, leaving the cap on, open the valve and let it soak for awhile. This will soften things up.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 05-17-2002, 09:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks BobbyW.

I have tried the "blasting" idea but didn't help. I'll give the "soak" a try - sounds like it might work. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
You have received some very good advise and I think you should try them first. However, If you are not able to fix the leak you might have a damaged rubber gasket inside the valve itself. Mine did this and I had to change it with a repair kit that is available from your dealer. The valve has to be disassembled to repair it and access is almost surely a problem. The best way to gain access is to cut a large inspection hole in the belly skin and then replace it with a patch when the work is done. It sounds hard but it is not that bad.
Good luck.
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks James. I hate to cut a hole in my trailer but I can see no other way. This seems to be the only solution for access to the valve. I appreciate the response.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Dump valve

Bobby W,
I tried the soak method and it did not seem to work. I'm guessing that the seal is damaged? I am somewhat confused as to how to access the valve on a 2001 Safari. The tanks are below the belly skin. The 'T' handle goes through a plate held in place by three rivets. After that it seems you are into the tank? I am going to drill the rivets out and remove the plate. Hopefully this will reveal the valve.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Please keep us posted, James. I have the same problem and am interested in what you find.

some time ago I had a knife valve that wouldn't close at the toilet. Took a coathanger and loosened the toilet paper that apparently got wedged when the valve closed. That may be our problem on the lower valve as well.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Dump valve

Quote:
Originally posted by gwsullivan
Bobby W,
I am going to drill the rivets out and remove the plate. Hopefully this will reveal the valve.
Jerry, have you checked with your dealer on this? I suprised that you are going to tackle this, especially since you are still under warranty...or have they told you different?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Warranty...

I thought I had mentioned this back on 5/16/02 and sure enough I did. Whew.

Are you to far away from a AS Service center? Or are you the 2nd owner?

-BobbyWright

Old 05-30-2002, 09:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Dump valve

I am 2-3 hours (each way) from the nearest dealer and I would have to travel through Los Angeles to get there. I just think I would have less pain doing the job myself than spending a day in traffic.

On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote