Old 05-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This thread turned out to be one of the better threads in quite a while. I like a thread that has some humor and some blood pumping comments. No wonder I keep coming back to the forum for more.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
This thread has been lots of fun to read...

I overdid the "take kitchen sink water to the toilet" once in a rented motorhome, thinking I had to conserve room in the gray tank and that I had black tank room to spare. That may have been true for a while but on the 4th day, it was quite apparent that I had filled the black tank. Completely. To the brim. And it was smelly. All night. With the bed not far enough away from the toilet. I had no one but myself to blame. Neither did my spouse. It was 10 years ago. And still gets brought up every so often.

Thanks for the words of experience and warning. The worst thing that has happened to me so far was watching a fork and knife follow the soapy water into the black tank. Lucky for me the silverware was partly stainless steel and I had a springy magnet grabber thingy from harbor freight in my tool kit for my fishing expedition! A little bleach for the tool and silverware and we were all good again. - Brad

- Brad Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 05-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #45
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Dump Station Black Tank Rinse Question

I'm flush with excitement from the overflow of comments on this thread.

Anybody know whether the black tank flush inlet on current AS trailers has a check valve on it?

One more question: What on earth was AS thinking in JC when they put the black tank flush inlet on our trailers directly ABOVE the fresh water inlet?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I'm flush with excitement from the overflow of comments on this thread.

Anybody know whether the black tank flush inlet on current AS trailers has a check valve on it?

One more question: What on earth was AS thinking in JC when they put the black tank flush inlet on our trailers directly ABOVE the fresh water inlet?
Yes, there is a check valve and maybe a vacuum breaker (not sure about the VB) on the black water flush tank inlet so there should be no problem with any cross contamination. It is a code thing too.

I like even better the fact that my fresh water inlet is right above the 120 volt power cord inlet on my FC 20'. All water leaks drip right onto the power cord.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #47
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Thanks, idroba. After posting here I found another thread about that very check valve seizing up and leaking inside the wall, so I know we have something to look forward to.

Regardless, it's good to know they put a check valve in there especially after removing the hose and watching the water from that black flush inlet dribble down onto the fresh water inlet beneath. I remove the other end of the hose from the faucet first to minimize this, but it still happens.

I guess we should count ourselves blessed that our electrical input is off to one side from the stack of fresh / black flush inlets! 30 amps of power applied to the black tank would probably sterilize it, but I don't want to be in that circuit.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Black Water Tank Flush

In Texas we have been trying to address this black water flush connection on a State level -- difficult -Check valves and vacuum breakers are basically useless and fail continuously. No way to test. Not allowed for Direct Sewer connections. Backflow Protection -- Sewer -- Air Gap Separation.

The plumbing codes will not allow a connection to a Sewer line with the best mechanical backflow protection

AS and others should of caught this years ago. 😕
Old 05-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Another suggestion is after dumping black tank put 10 lbs. ice cubes in toilet & several gals. water, ice cubes will scour tank of sediment, drive to where camping dump, rinse with several flushes. You should see nice white bottom as tank is clean. I did this 1 time last year & my AS is 1976 yrs. old, this was first time, tank, nice white bottom when I dumped. Caveat. Do not leave black valve open when hooked up while using toilet as this lets solids dry & harden in tank.

Ice cubes FLOAT...f you add "several gals. water"..... they do not "scour" the tank of sediment unless they are ON the bottom...and even then are melting and not much good.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #50
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Fit RV posted a nice video of the ice cube treatment. Just watch the show.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #51
Rivet Master

The ice video is prove in the pudding ….EEWWWW

My thoughts and experience…

#1 Stuff that you almost ate, stuff that was in your mouth, stuff that was on your body….becomes REALLY REALLY nasty after an hour or so after being put in a warm grey tank. On my own property, I let shower and sink water empty on to my lawn, right away without sitting in the tank. Micro organisms in the soil eat everything.

#2 The only time I try to get my black tank spotless is at the end of camping season. I do this to prevent any cruddy build up on my valve seals.

#3 Any other time I dump just to empty the tanks so I have room for waste for the next trip.

#4 I use an enzyme treatment that works better if there is " something" in the tank to feed on.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I love the You Tube video. The test of something that "everyone knows" works, which does not. A great post.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm going to try this stuff on our next long trip:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part of the SeeLevel diagnostic function is an ability to monitor the signal strength of each sender. Assuming the sender is adhered properly to the tank wall and wiring is good, there are two things that cause a lower signal:
1) tank wall thickness and material
2) crud on the tank walls.

Although my SeeLevel works fine, the signal strengths are somewhat lower than I like.

Fresh = 37
Gray = 27
Black = 22

It will be interesting to see if the cleaner will help the strength of the signal.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We have used Happy Camper for several years and extremely pleased. It does the job.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Ice cubes FLOAT...f you add "several gals. water"..... they do not "scour" the tank of sediment unless they are ON the bottom...and even then are melting and not much good.
Brain fade did not put water with ice cubes, did exc. cleaning job. Plus I never dump until home, gets every thing worked up good, then 3 full bowels to rinse. As I stated inside of black tank nice and clean, also there is posting last yr.on forums pertaining to this. Not by me...
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Technically - we have found that even previously thought "sterile" urine actually has microbes that in some conditions (as i recall higher co2 levels) grow out

But I include that just to be pedantic - cause this thread is lacking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote