E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAirstream
Also, I never put dishwasher packs or dish/hand soap from the sink transferred to the black tank because some soaps can kill bacteria and enzymes that are supposed to be in your black tank and are good for the system to break down the waste. You could do this if you are sure that the soap you are using is free of all chemicals that can be harmful to your black tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Uh....this is a black tank not a septic tank. If you are on a septic system at home it is very important to maintain a balance in your SEPTIC system so that proper digestion can occur. In your trailer all that is needed is to take care of odors. Some use chemicals others use other methods. Breaking down waste is not a function of your black tank. Some soap getting into your black tank is not a problem.

No kidding. Dang, sometimes even the simplest things can get so tedious!

The dishwater tabs/packets in the amount used to help keep your black tank clean and build-up down, hardly present a danger of killing off beneficial microbes that digest the wastes in the septic system when dumped. Besides, this isn’t a task that needs to be repeated every single time you dump. I have never used sewer chemicals sold at RV stores in my black tank - never had an oder or problem where I needed to.

What I’d like to know however is, how many angles can fit on the point of a needle?

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #30
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAirstream View Post
Also, I never put dishwasher packs or dish/hand soap from the sink transferred to the black tank because some soaps can kill bacteria and enzymes that are supposed to be in your black tank and are good for the system to break down the waste. You could do this if you are sure that the soap you are using is free of all chemicals that can be harmful to your black tank.
Quote:
Uh....this is a black tank not a septic tank. If you are on a septic system at home it is very important to maintain a balance in your SEPTIC system so that proper digestion can occur. In your trailer all that is needed is to take care of odors. Some use chemicals others use other methods. Breaking down waste is not a function of your black tank. Some soap getting into your black tank is not a problem.
No kidding. Dang, sometimes even the simplest things can get so tedious!

The dishwater tabs/packets in the amount used to help keep your black tank clean and build-up down, hardly present a danger of killing off beneficial microbes that digest the wastes in the septic system when dumped. Besides, this isn’t a task that needs to be repeated every single time you dump. I have never used sewer chemicals sold at RV stores in my black tank - never had an oder or problem where I needed to.

What I’d like to know however is, how many angles can fit on the point of a needle?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Give me a break!
All right. Now unsubscribing and ignoring this thread, so that we don't have to put up with each other anymore. You win. Have fun storming the castle!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
For those new to dumping: Never depend on a last minute use of dump station, unless you have previously inspected for operation, too many times I have seen inoperable dumps, no flush water, designed by a non engineer, missing hose, closed main valve somewhere, full or small sign saying out of order. Flush water is a nice plus and a few others are a downward slope to the drain with a rock large enough to hold open the cap, enough dry area to be able to stand close and monitor without getting wet feet
Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
All right. Now unsubscribing and ignoring this thread, so that we don't have to put up with each other anymore. You win. Have fun storming the castle!
ah, don't take you ball and go home. We just need to agree to disagree. As I said in post #18, "... and I am not trying to be challenging or nasty, but this is much ado about nothing." I am truly sorry you took offense even after that statement.

This subject of pathogens is so unlikely that it is a moot point. I wash my bloodied hands at the sink in the AS or at home all the time. If I'm carrying pathogens, they're in the gray tank anyway. And the valves are hardly anti-septic. They get dowsed with each others fluids whenever the opposite one is open. Then you open the other one and they cross-contaminate.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

I think I can help you with this one. Since an "angle" is the space measured between two intersecting lines, usually in degrees, I would say there can be an infinite amount of them. Of course if the lines need to be there to actually form an angle then this might be limited. But it would be safe to say more than a dozen.

Of course if you are asking for how many "angels" can be there I would say an infinite amount of them. They are creatures of myth so anything goes here.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
oh, oh.....myth?

...and I got myself in trouble for just sayin' my sh....tuff ain't bad for the environment.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Science or ?

It is always fascinating to read the threads when the issues are cloudy at best. While there are significant differences in bacteria, animals vs. human, who would know what is on one's back water tank.

Interesting, a dog bite is not generally treated with antibiotics but a human bite is usually treated with antibiotics as the human mouth has pathogens which are not found in a dog's mouth. And, cats, nasty mouth stuff. Don't eat after your cat...the point is in waste, humans may have bugs which are more harmful to humans that other animal feces.

So, my thinking is to always attempt to err on the side of caution rather than create a potentially toxic situation, possibly causing harm to another person or animal.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #37
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I can't resist a comment. Holding tanks are nothing but un-flushed toilets, even though the septic process has already begun. It all goes down the drain and sooner or later into the environment. The same as pit toilets and animal waste. I am greatly impressed that sewerage treatment plant do such a good job. However, they too, occasionally have goof ups into the environment. What impresses me most is that we can taker the solids from our treatment plants and put them on our farms and lawns for fertilizer without danger. Even though it is sterile, it still smells. Makes me wonder where the real truth is. Just like the notion the urine from a healthy person is sterile. I guess you have to say it all averages out over a life span. My immune system is better than yours.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #38
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
dishwater to the toilet

This thread has been lots of fun to read...
I overdid the "take kitchen sink water to the toilet" once in a rented motorhome, thinking I had to conserve room in the gray tank and that I had black tank room to spare. That may have been true for a while but on the 4th day, it was quite apparent that I had filled the black tank. Completely. To the brim. And it was smelly. All night. With the bed not far enough away from the toilet. I had no one but myself to blame. Neither did my spouse. It was 10 years ago. And still gets brought up every so often.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
It is always fascinating to read the threads when the issues are cloudy at best. While there are significant differences in bacteria, animals vs. human, who would know what is on one's back water tank.

Interesting, a dog bite is not generally treated with antibiotics but a human bite is usually treated with antibiotics as the human mouth has pathogens which are not found in a dog's mouth. And, cats, nasty mouth stuff. Don't eat after your cat...the point is in waste, humans may have bugs which are more harmful to humans that other animal feces.

So, my thinking is to always attempt to err on the side of caution rather than create a potentially toxic situation, possibly causing harm to another person or animal.
I believe this to be eco-nazi hogwash as well. Humans and all the other animals evolved in the same place through the same epochs. We have listened to a generation of blabber mouths who want us to believe we are somehow undeserving to exist in the place we evolved. Do we have viruses that affect us differently than others animals? Sure. So do they.

We are no dirtier than any biological species on this planet.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, actually, we have been so over treated with antibiotics and we have eaten so many portions of meat from animals grossly over treated with antibiotics, the we are big old Petri dishes chock full of bugs that really don t need to be in the environment.

I treat black and grey water with great respect as it is at best merely noxious and, at worst, potentially hazardous.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #41
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
I think I can help you with this one. Since an "angle" is the space measured between two intersecting lines, usually in degrees, I would say there can be an infinite amount of them. Of course if the lines need to be there to actually form an angle then this might be limited. But it would be safe to say more than a dozen.

Of course if you are asking for how many "angels" can be there I would say an infinite amount of them. They are creatures of myth so anything goes here.
Dang fingers, refusing to work with the brain again... this has become a not infrequent occurrence. Can’t even blame Richard Baxter...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, actually, we have been so over treated with antibiotics and we have eaten so many portions of meat from animals grossly over treated with antibiotics, the we are big old Petri dishes chock full of bugs that really don t need to be in the environment.

I treat black and grey water with great respect as it is at best merely noxious and, at worst, potentially hazardous.

Mike
Send your children and grandchildren OUTSIDE to play when they are naught but 1 year old. Let them play in dirt, and yes, even eat some. This builds antibodies. Video games in your hermetically sealed abode....not so much.

It's a dirty world....roll in it, and with it!